+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of funds problem/confusion

Singalingali

Jan 31, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My bank say they can only provide me a general letter of good standing which they provide every visa applicant i.e. they cannot begin to calculate my average balance in the last six months. In addition to this general reference letter, they will provide me my bank statement for the last six months. Is this acceptable as proof of funds?

kuldeep1401

Dec 22, 2014
The same is happening with me, My account is with citibank says they can provide a letter stating my current balance with my bank account opening date with no of months that this account is opened.

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Singalingali said:
My bank say they can only provide me a general letter of good standing which they provide every visa applicant i.e. they cannot begin to calculate my average balance in the last six months. In addition to this general reference letter, they will provide me my bank statement for the last six months. Is this acceptable as proof of funds?
Yes. If you can't get your bank to provide your average balance in the last six months, you can attach your statements. Just be sure the reference letter has all the other information.

I have found this in other countries too, and I think it's strange that when the government decides to request something new from applicants, it doesn't inform the relevant private or governmental authorities of what it is going to require. My bank (in Canada) was totally ignorant of what CIC wanted to know from them, though they tried their hardest to comply. It took two tries - and they still hadn't given the average balances for the past six months. I had to attach statements for that.

Salseiro

Mar 12, 2015
Sorry for raising the thread from the dead. It's just that there are so many similar postings on the proof of funds that I decided to resurrect one that is relatively recent and relevant to my concerns.
Could someone tell me when this "six-month average" requirement was introduced and where exactly it is spelled out in writing? I swear to God, when I was submitting my bank statement alongside the other documents under the FSW stream, the hint/reminder in the data submission field asked me to provide my balance statement (-s) for the past six months and nothing else. I am frustrated because I cannot find what section of what CIC website page prescribes that the average rather than the whole statement be sumbitted. I am now worried about whether this could raise concerns with the officer in charge of my application.

UPD: Ok, I have found the answer to my first question (CIC's website: english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp). Was the wording the same in February-April? Do you think I need to make my bank calculate the average for these old bank statements and attach them to a Case Specific Inquiry while my application is still in review?

hossamo33

Mar 17, 2015
Salseiro said:
Sorry for raising the thread from the dead. It's just that there are so many similar postings on the proof of funds that I decided to resurrect one that is relatively recent and relevant to my concerns.
Could someone tell me when this "six-month average" requirement was introduced and where exactly it is spelled out in writing? I swear to God, when I was submitting my bank statement alongside the other documents under the FSW stream, the hint/reminder in the data submission field asked me to provide my balance statement (-s) for the past six months and nothing else. I am frustrated because I cannot find what section of what CIC website page prescribes that the average rather than the whole statement be sumbitted. I am now worried about whether this could raise concerns with the officer in charge of my application.

UPD: Ok, I have found the answer to my first question (CIC's website: english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp). Was the wording the same in February-April? Do you think I need to make my bank calculate the average for these old bank statements and attach them to a Case Specific Inquiry while my application is still in review?
No. You don't need to do anything. Whether you provide the balance statement for the past six months, or the average balance over the past six months makes no difference. The logic is the same.

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Salseiro said:

It really isn't that serious an issue. I gave CIC a bank letter showing that between our checking and savings accounts (both in the name of PA and spouse, BTW) we had the required amount. The bank took 3 tries to get the letter right, and even then did not include the 6-month averages. Rather than continue to badger the bank, I simply downloaded the TOP SHEET of each of the last 6 months' online statements, which showed starting and ending balances for each month, whited out my SIN, and attached those in a pdf.

We got our PPR, our funds were never questioned. The 6 months' thing is just to look for any sudden appearance of large amounts of money that could indicate a loan to be paid back. If there is such a large deposit, but it's a gift, you have to attach proof of that.

The important thing is that you have the money at the time. The 6 months is just to see if there is a question as to HOW you got the money.

YamPower

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2015
Med's Done....
14-04-2015
Passport Req..
09-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2015
LANDED..........
13-11-2015
Singalingali said:
Why do you need this now though?

Singalingali

Jan 31, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The only thing I need now is PPR. Decision made since August 17. I hope I get it this week.

YamPower

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2015
Med's Done....
14-04-2015
Passport Req..
09-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2015
LANDED..........
13-11-2015
Ohhh ok, I'm just noticing the date. Hoping you get PPR this week. My friend got DM around the same time as you but he got PPR a week ago

Singalingali

Jan 31, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
YamPower said:
Ohhh ok, I'm just noticing the date. Hoping you get PPR this week. My friend got DM around the same time as you but he got PPR a week ago
Thank you so much YamPower. I hope so too. Here's wishing you a speedy PPR too.

Salseiro

Mar 12, 2015
dobes said:
We got our PPR, our funds were never questioned. The 6 months' thing is just to look for any sudden appearance of large amounts of money that could indicate a loan to be paid back. If there is such a large deposit, but it's a gift, you have to attach proof of that.
That's what bothers me. I did make a large one-off transfer to one of my accounts. I do own this money, but I did not include any proof of ownership since it was not required implicitly and it just didn't occur to me that I needed to do something of the sort. Do you think it's too late to send them a CSE with any additional documents proving my ownership? My application has already been accepted and is under review ("In Process" in ECAS). In addition, I did not include my common-law spouse's bank statements because I thought CIC would only review those coming from the principal applicant. Had I known they would be willing to consider both applicants I could've shown that we have enough funds even without the above-mentioned sum.