+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

proof of funds on first landing

CASM

Feb 28, 2019
Hello Everybody!

I am planning my first landing as PR (FSW) in the next month (april). I understand that the receipts of Indian bank fixed deposits/ term deposits as well as statement of Indian bank account (savings account) are accepted as proof of funds. All of these are in local currency, i.e, Indian Rupees only. Now, I would like to confirm regarding my first landing that, in addition to some Canadian Dollars currency in cash, whether the above mentioned documents are acceptable proof of funds even when I am carrying only prints or copies mentioning the amounts thereon in Indian Rupees, or do I have to bring the minimum amount required to support myself (CAD 12500 in case of principal applicant entry only) in the form of Canadian Dollars in cash/ travellers cheques/ demand drafts etc. only? Secondly, is it OK if I carry the bank account statement or fixed/ term deposit receipt of some other bank than the one where I had an account at the time of filing PR visa application (as I closed my account with that bank)?

Thank you very much in advance!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hello Everybody!

I am planning my first landing as PR (FSW) in the next month (april). I understand that the receipts of Indian bank fixed deposits/ term deposits as well as statement of Indian bank account (savings account) are accepted as proof of funds. All of these are in local currency, i.e, Indian Rupees only. Now, I would like to confirm regarding my first landing that, in addition to some Canadian Dollars currency in cash, whether the above mentioned documents are acceptable proof of funds even when I am carrying only prints or copies mentioning the amounts thereon in Indian Rupees, or do I have to bring the minimum amount required to support myself (CAD 12500 in case of principal applicant entry only) in the form of Canadian Dollars in cash/ travellers cheques/ demand drafts etc. only? Secondly, is it OK if I carry the bank account statement or fixed/ term deposit receipt of some other bank than the one where I had an account at the time of filing PR visa application (as I closed my account with that bank)?

Thank you very much in advance!
No, you don't have to carry the money with you. The CBSA office may ask to see proof of funds - make sure the accounts are not joint accounts with someone else or something ambiguous like that; if it is clear that this is your account and you have access to the money, that's all they need to know.

Yes, you can carry any bank statement. It doesn't have to match what you used to show proof of funds. Again, it must be absolutely clear that this is your individual account and you have statements from the past few months showing that the money wasn't suddenly transferred in.

In practice, it's usually rare for CBSA to dig too deep into proof of funds. They have the right to do it, and you may well get an officer who asks lots of questions, but in general it's not a big deal. As long as you don't set off any red flags.

That being said, it does make sense to carry a few thousand with you. Opening a bank account in Canada and then transferring money from India can take some time, so if you say you have say $2,000 with you and you have bank statements showing that you have $12,500 in your bank, you will be good.

Here's more information -> https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/proof-funds.html

Reactions: CASM

CASM

Feb 28, 2019
No, you don't have to carry the money with you. The CBSA office may ask to see proof of funds - make sure the accounts are not joint accounts with someone else or something ambiguous like that; if it is clear that this is your account and you have access to the money, that's all they need to know.

Yes, you can carry any bank statement. It doesn't have to match what you used to show proof of funds. Again, it must be absolutely clear that this is your individual account and you have statements from the past few months showing that the money wasn't suddenly transferred in.

In practice, it's usually rare for CBSA to dig too deep into proof of funds. They have the right to do it, and you may well get an officer who asks lots of questions, but in general it's not a big deal. As long as you don't set off any red flags.

That being said, it does make sense to carry a few thousand with you. Opening a bank account in Canada and then transferring money from India can take some time, so if you say you have say $2,000 with you and you have bank statements showing that you have $12,500 in your bank, you will be good.

Here's more information -> https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/proof-funds.html
Thank you very much!!! Thanks a lot... :) Yes, I can confirm that all the said accounts/ funds are accessible by me ONLY as I have no joint accounts. There's only one follow-up question- you wrote that "statements from the past few months showing that the money wasn't suddenly transferred in"- here I would like to ask whether fixed deposit/ term deposit receipts will do, as those were opened/ booked just once (planned, not sudden) and the money can be prematurely withdrawn, if need be?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thank you very much!!! Thanks a lot... :) Yes, I can confirm that all the said accounts/ funds are accessible by me ONLY as I have no joint accounts. There's only one follow-up question- you wrote that "statements from the past few months showing that the money wasn't suddenly transferred in"- here I would like to ask whether fixed deposit/ term deposit receipts will do, as those were opened/ booked just once (planned, not sudden) and the money can be prematurely withdrawn, if need be?
Don't worry about it. If everything is above board and legit, no one is going to ask you too many questions. If a question is asked, and you have a reasonable answer that doesn't raise any red flags, you won't have any issues.

Reactions: CASM

CASM

Feb 28, 2019
Don't worry about it. If everything is above board and legit, no one is going to ask you too many questions. If a question is asked, and you have a reasonable answer that doesn't raise any red flags, you won't have any issues.
Thank you very much!!! :) Thanks a lot...

mkustocanada

Aug 8, 2019

Hi @21Goose

I have a wierd situation.

I have got my COPR and I will land in canada by the month end (August end). Since I worked in the USA previously I showed POF from Bank of America, my own checking account. I packed up my things in USA and then came to India to visit family before going to canada. I put my girlfriend as a co-owner for my Bank account before I left the USA incase I needed any transfers authorized by visitng a local branch.

Only problem is my bank statements from January to July shows me as the main account holder (Which is the truth) but since I added her it shows her name in the August statement. I only added her for operational purposes and she is not an applicant at all. WIll I have issues at landing if show them the latest statement or should I just show them my statements till July?

Your advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!