+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of funds, LMIA-exempt, FSW

rezasorna

Star Member
May 21, 2013
Hi,
I think this problem hit many of us here. This is the situation. I got my ITA under FSW. I am working in Canada under an LMIA-exempt work permit. The problem is that if you don't have an LMIA, you still need to have proof of funds, for CIC it doesn't matter if you have a job.
Now I am wondering should I decline my invitation and start to save up some money and go to the pool again in a few months, or just send my application anyway, without enough funds ( just attaching my T4 and job offer) and hope they will accept it.
Anybody tried this before and any suggestion.
I appreciate your help. I just discovered this last night and got panicked already.

Thanks,

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Relax!

People have gone down this path and it appears there is a way. CIC does explicitly ask for POF from everyone except the LMIA bunch but applicants working in Canada can showcase whatever monies they have in the bank along with other supporting evidence including work authorization status, job offer with salary details, bank statements showing salary credits, T4s, tax assessment forms etc. Members have reported successfully getting PPR using this strategy.

All the best!

rezasorna

Star Member
May 21, 2013
Asivad Anac said:
Relax!

People have gone down this path and it appears there is a way. CIC does explicitly ask for POF from everyone except the LMIA bunch but applicants working in Canada can showcase whatever monies they have in the bank along with other supporting evidence including work authorization status, job offer with salary details, bank statements showing salary credits, T4s, tax assessment forms etc. Members have reported successfully getting PPR using this strategy.

All the best!
Thanks a lot Anac! Feeling a bit calmer.
Since last night I was searching crazy to find someone who went through this. If you know any thread regarding this and people who successfully applied this way, I would be more than grateful if you would share it.

Thanks a lot!

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rezasorna said:
Hi,
I think this problem hit many of us here. This is the situation. I got my ITA under FSW. I am working in Canada under an LMIA-exempt work permit. The problem is that if you don't have an LMIA, you still need to have proof of funds, for CIC it doesn't matter if you have a job.
Now I am wondering should I decline my invitation and start to save up some money and go to the pool again in a few months, or just send my application anyway, without enough funds ( just attaching my T4 and job offer) and hope they will accept it.
Anybody tried this before and any suggestion.
I appreciate your help. I just discovered this last night and got panicked already.

Thanks,
I am in the same situation. I can't say I've gotten through it, as I turned in my application on May 7, with T4, NoA, original job offer, and reference letter from that job indicating that it is permanent, full-time, etc. But my application hasn't been rejected yet, either.

But look at it logically. You seem to be saying it would take you a few months to save up the money. Well, if you accept this invitation, in a few months you will either be rejected and ready to apply again or you will have your PR on the first try. You don't lose anything by going ahead this time.

I will say that I called CIC to clarify whether my salary would count toward Proof of Funds, as it is on an open work permit, without LMIA. The person I talked to said it was fine - but sometimes they say one thing on the phone and do another in person.

In your place, I would figure that ITAs are not so easy to come by that they can be easily tossed away. The purpose of the PoF rule is that you need to show you can support yourself in Canada - and if you are already working here under any circumstances, you are proving that you can.

In my opinion, I would go ahead and apply.

rezasorna

Star Member
May 21, 2013
dobes said:
But look at it logically. You seem to be saying it would take you a few months to save up the money. Well, if you accept this invitation, in a few months you will either be rejected and ready to apply again or you will have your PR on the first try. You don't lose anything by going ahead this time.
Thanks dobes. You make sense. I have nothing to lose. Would you please let me know if you get any response from CIC regarding your application. I think in a month or two they should send you some acknowledgement for complete application.
I hope other people who got PR the same way leave a message here.

Thanks again!

rezasorna

Star Member
May 21, 2013
Guys! I am afraid i have bad news. Please check this

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/reasons-for-rejection-t306713.0.html;msg4478200#msg4478200

Apparently CIC asked a guy in the same situation to show that 12,000$
He send his docs in May and now he received this request.

:(

Any thoughts?

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rezasorna said:
Guys! I am afraid i have bad news. Please check this

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/reasons-for-rejection-t306713.0.html;msg4478200#msg4478200

Apparently CIC asked a guy in the same situation to show that 12,000$
He send his docs in May and now he received this request.

:(

Any thoughts?
I hope he tells us what he sent back, and what the response is. Although it looks bad, I'm pretty sure CIC agents have whole paragraphs they can insert in letters where appropriate. The letter he received also asked for his T4 and NoA - which he apparently hadn't sent the first time. If those things don't count as settlement funds, then why would they ask for them? He doesn't have an LMIA. There is also an issue as his job is temporary.

I hope he sends back the information that he has $10,500 (less than what he officially needs), along with his T4 and NoA, showing that he earns more than he officially needs. Then I hope he is approved for PR - and I really hope he tells us what happened!

A-man

Star Member
Jun 30, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was quite surprised when I saw that. But when I saw the words "temporary", that may have provoked CIC to ask for proof of funds.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
A-man said:
I was quite surprised when I saw that. But when I saw the words "temporary", that may have provoked CIC to ask for proof of funds.
In prior years, FSW applications that were not LMIA supported required POF. So it seems like this rule has carried forward?

rezasorna

Star Member
May 21, 2013
dobes said:
I hope he tells us what he sent back, and what the response is. Although it looks bad, I'm pretty sure CIC agents have whole paragraphs they can insert in letters where appropriate. The letter he received also asked for his T4 and NoA - which he apparently hadn't sent the first time. If those things don't count as settlement funds, then why would they ask for them? He doesn't have an LMIA. There is also an issue as his job is temporary.

I hope he sends back the information that he has $10,500 (less than what he officially needs), along with his T4 and NoA, showing that he earns more than he officially needs. Then I hope he is approved for PR - and I really hope he tells us what happened!
From what he wrote, I suspect the scenario is like this, as you mentioned he didn't submit T4 etc. He only submitted his bank statement in the last 6 months. The visa officer saw a couple of large money transfers to his account, and he became suspicious and wanted to check. Maybe if he submitted his T4, pay subs, etc along with some money which was even less than 12000$, he could be fine.

HARMAN08

Star Member
Feb 20, 2018
Relax!

All the best!
Hi Asivad
What about people not working in Canada but have LMIA? Can they get away with not showing funds or less funds?