+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of funds in PR in a Joint Account

ashikaverma13

Aug 19, 2018
Hi Forum,

Is there anyone here who has shown funds (for proof for PR application) in an account which was jointly held by him/her with someone else?

I have been collecting my funds in an account and the account has been recently turned into a joint account with my father (I am the primary holder).

I am thinking of adding a statement that the bank will sign stating that I am the primary holder and can utilize the funds.

Is there is anything more I can do? Should I not be showing the funds in a joint account? Should I also attach a declaration letter from father, stating that he won't utilize the funds?

Kindly suggest.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Hi Forum,

Is there anyone here who has shown funds (for proof for PR application) in an account which was jointly held by him/her with someone else?

I have been collecting my funds in an account and the account has been recently turned into a joint account with my father (I am the primary holder).

I am thinking of adding a statement that the bank will sign stating that I am the primary holder and can utilize the funds.

Is there is anything more I can do? Should I not be showing the funds in a joint account? Should I also attach a declaration letter from father, stating that he won't utilize the funds?

Kindly suggest.
If you are the primary holder, yes it's okay.
Just to be sure, is there a restriction on your joint account? Meaning, some accounts are named under "Mr. X AND Mr.Y" or "Mr.X OR Mr.Y". The first one means that both parties have to sign off on any transaction, while the second means just one of them. But since you're the primary holder, I don't think that's an issue.

But to be safe, provide a notarized letter from your father stating he has no objection in having all the funds being used by you for immigration purposes, plus the letter from your bank stating you're the primary holder, and a LOE explaining the setting.

ashikaverma13

Aug 19, 2018
Hi Peacekeeper,

My account statement says Account Name: Ms. X, Mr. Y.

I will be getting the certificate stating the primary holder statement and a letter from my father. Plus the LOE.

Any idea how I can get a format of the declaration statement that I will need to get signed from my father?

Thanks!

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Hi Peacekeeper,

My account statement says Account Name: Ms. X, Mr. Y.

I will be getting the certificate stating the primary holder statement and a letter from my father. Plus the LOE.

Any idea how I can get a format of the declaration statement that I will need to get signed from my father?

Thanks!
Usually, CIC states there no issues with funds in a joint account with spouse. But because it's with your father, you're right to play it safe.

There is no specific format really.
It can be a standard letter format like below. This is how I would write it. I'm not saying it "should" be like this.

Date:

To whom it may concern.

Madam/Sir,

I undersigned, <Father's Name> holder of passport number <Passport #>, father of <Your name> holder of passport number <Passport #>, hereby declare having no objection whatsoever with my son using the funds, held in our joint account <Account #> at bank <Name of Bank>, for all his immigration purposes to Canada.

<Father's Name>
<Father's Notarized Signature>