+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of funds for Dependent/Spouse Open Work Permit.

Hameez

Sep 22, 2020
Colombo
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Sri Lanka
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
23-10-2021
Hi,

I'm a prospective International Student, who applied for student visa and got it few days back and I'm still in in my home country. Now I’m going to apply for my wife’s depend open work permit. When I applied for my visa I showed fixed deposit under my name as proof of funds (which I maintained for more than 6 months) and which covers my total tuition fee and living expenses for the whole 2 years of my stay and there are enough funds in the fixed deposit to cover my wife’s living expenses until my stay in Canada.

Since she hasn’t maintained any funds under her name, can I show the same fixed deposit as my wife’s proof of funds with an affidavit for her stay in Canada (the fixed deposit is being still maintained and it is more than 11 months old)

Can anyone kindly advise me on this?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hi,

I'm a prospective International Student, who applied for student visa and got it few days back and I'm still in in my home country. Now I’m going to apply for my wife’s depend open work permit. When I applied for my visa I showed fixed deposit under my name as proof of funds (which I maintained for more than 6 months) and which covers my total tuition fee and living expenses for the whole 2 years of my stay and there are enough funds in the fixed deposit to cover my wife’s living expenses until my stay in Canada.

Since she hasn’t maintained any funds under her name, can I show the same fixed deposit as my wife’s proof of funds with an affidavit for her stay in Canada (the fixed deposit is being still maintained and it is more than 11 months old)

Yes you can use the same source of funds as long as it's more than enough.

Reactions: Hameez

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

In general IRCC is looking for liquid funds and not fixed deposits. You will need to wait and see if that creates an issue for your study permit approval. You can use the same funds to apply for your wife’s OWP but you will need to be able to show that you can support yourselves without finding employment in Canada.

Reactions: Hameez

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
In general IRCC is looking for liquid funds and not fixed deposits. You will need to wait and see if that creates an issue for your study permit approval. You can use the same funds to apply for your wife’s OWP but you will need to be able to show that you can support yourselves without finding employment in Canada.
Fixed deposit is liquid fund….Provided it is under your name and has NOT been under any lien, It demostrates financial stability than chequing account.

Hameez

Sep 22, 2020
Colombo
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Sri Lanka
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
23-10-2021
Yes, I've already received my study permit approval and passport stamped and Fixed Deposit is considered a liquid fund provided it is under my name and hasnt' been under any lien, It demonstrates financial stability than chequing account.