SIRU020

Apr 15, 2017
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Hello All,

Can anyone share their experience if my proof of funds comes mainly from a gift from my mother? I have some savings but she will gift me the major part as irrevocable gift.

What documents should I produce to prove same, gift deed, explanation letter? Will I have to provide the source of funds of my mother as well? What is better a bank transfer from her or a cheque?

Should the gift as well stay for 6 months in my account?

Anyone has had a successful PR with POF as gift from parent?

Please help guys

rupinder2k17

Star Member
Feb 16, 2017
Patiala, Punjab
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-03-2017
Doc's Request.
18-07-2017
AOR Received.
22-06-2017
Med's Done....
21-07-2017
Passport Req..
10-08-2017
VISA ISSUED...
16-08-2017
Hello All,

Can anyone share their experience if my proof of funds comes mainly from a gift from my mother? I have some savings but she will gift me the major part as irrevocable gift.

What documents should I produce to prove same, gift deed, explanation letter? Will I have to provide the source of funds of my mother as well? What is better a bank transfer from her or a cheque?

Please help guys
Most of us here who have applied for Express Entry has followed a similar path. So, you are good on that front.

As for the documents, you need to provide the gift deed along with an affidavit from your mother's behalf declaring that she is gifting you this money for your immigration purposes (or whatever the case be) and she doesnot want it back. Other documents required are your balance certificate, 6 months's statement, transaction details of the money given by your mother (if possible attach the page of account statement of both your and your mother's account which reflects the transaction). Transaction could be any which way, net banking or a cheque, but you should produce a proof of transaction. Also, make sure your explain all this in your Letter of Explanation (LOE) so as to make your Visa Officer's job easier.

I would advise you to keep this money in your account until your reach Canada. Reason is that during background check the Visa Officer can at any time ask you for a fresh account statement. Moreover, when you land in Canada, there as well at the port of entry they may enquire about your funds.

Hope it helps.

Reactions: Tomi2 and SIRU020

SIRU020

Apr 15, 2017
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Thanks buddy.

Can you please clarify this part? 'transaction details of the money given by your mother (if possible attach the page of account statement of both your and your mother's account which reflects the transaction)'

You mean my mom's bank statement, her proof of those funds or sth I am misundertanding here ? :(

Thanks a lot!

GavinSouthAfrica

Apr 19, 2017
I would advise you to keep this money in your account until your reach Canada. Reason is that during background check the Visa Officer can at any time ask you for a fresh account statement. Moreover, when you land in Canada, there as well at the port of entry they may enquire about your funds.
Hijacking this thread a bit but the one thing I've not seen confirmed or not is are you forced to move those funds into Canada?

For example I'm in South Africa (obvious isn't it) but my POF is coming from my UK bank account, however I don't really want to move that to Canada.

My real funds for living in Canada are going to come from selling my cars and property here which will give me more than enough but I know CIC don't see assets as POF.

So can I use my UK account for proof but then leave the money where it is after I land?

rupinder2k17

Star Member
Feb 16, 2017
Patiala, Punjab
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-03-2017
Doc's Request.
18-07-2017
AOR Received.
22-06-2017
Med's Done....
21-07-2017
Passport Req..
10-08-2017
VISA ISSUED...
16-08-2017
Thanks buddy.

Can you please clarify this part? 'transaction details of the money given by your mother (if possible attach the page of account statement of both your and your mother's account which reflects the transaction)'

You mean my mom's bank statement, her proof of those funds or sth I am misundertanding here ? :(

Thanks a lot!
I meant proof of transaction, wherein your mother transferred money to your account. It could be anything like a receipt given by your bank (if possible, but it is highly unlikely), or copy of bank passbooks which reflects the transaction etc.

rupinder2k17

Star Member
Feb 16, 2017
Patiala, Punjab
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-03-2017
Doc's Request.
18-07-2017
AOR Received.
22-06-2017
Med's Done....
21-07-2017
Passport Req..
10-08-2017
VISA ISSUED...
16-08-2017
Hijacking this thread a bit but the one thing I've not seen confirmed or not is are you forced to move those funds into Canada?

For example I'm in South Africa (obvious isn't it) but my POF is coming from my UK bank account, however I don't really want to move that to Canada.

My real funds for living in Canada are going to come from selling my cars and property here which will give me more than enough but I know CIC don't see assets as POF.

So can I use my UK account for proof but then leave the money where it is after I land?

Yes, i believe you can leave your money in your UK account as obviously you wont be having any bank accounts in Canada until and unless you get a PR. Just make sure you carry the proofs when you are entering Canada.

Also, for your perusal go through the following which is there on the CIC website (i am sure you must have read it before, but still....). I hope it helps.

How much money should you bring?

It is a good idea to research how much it costs to live in the place where you plan to settle in Canada.

Bring as much money as you can to make moving and finding a home in Canada easier. Note, however, that Canadian customs regulations require you to declare if you are bringing more than CAN$10,000 into Canada. If you do not tell them, you may be fined, and your funds could be seized. These funds could be in the form of:
  • cash,
  • documents that show property or capital payable to you (such as stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills, etc.), or
  • documents that guarantee payment of a set amount of money, which are payable to you (such as bankers’ drafts, cheques, travellers’ cheques or money orders).

GavinSouthAfrica

Apr 19, 2017
Yeah pretty sure I can just draw funds as required like I do when I travel.. won't be taking over CAD10k into the country on landing. Will rather get a bank account and move it afterwards

SIRU020

Apr 15, 2017
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Thanks buddy.

Thanks a lot!

SIRU020

Apr 15, 2017
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
I have a little query and a bit worried. My POF comes mainly from a gift deed from my mother, she deposited the money in my savings account in July last. Before that the account balance was almost nil. When I will submit the E APR next week, my bank statements of 6 months will show zero balance for first 1.5 months. My salary does not come in that account. Now I came across an immigration consultant, she told me that if the savings account was almost before the gift deed and with no cash movements before, this might a concern for the VO, as to how I support myself etc. What is your suggestion?
:( Is it mandatory to show salary source account here?

Sher001

Star Member
Jul 4, 2018
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
02-10-2018
IELTS Request
10-08-2018 IELTS S:8 L:8.5 R:7.5 W: 7.5
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-09-2018
Hello All,

Please help guys

How did this work out for you? We're you successful? I am in a similar dilemma where the majority of the funds will be gifted to me from my mother and mother in law. What's a gift deed? Does immigration have a set format?

KGo

Jul 23, 2018
Hi,

So I am submitting my docs and in POF, Ive included:
6 months bank statement, balance cert into CAD,
gift deed & affidavit (since my parents gave me the funds) and an LOE explaining the funds

Is anything else required ?

Sher001

Star Member
Jul 4, 2018
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
02-10-2018
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-09-2018
Hi,

So I am submitting my docs and in POF, Ive included:
6 months bank statement, balance cert into CAD,
gift deed & affidavit (since my parents gave me the funds) and an LOE explaining the funds

Is anything else required ?

Bank letter stating all accounts held in that bank date of open etc if that's the same as the bank cert then you are good.

KGo

Jul 23, 2018
Bank letter stating all accounts held in that bank date of open etc if that's the same as the bank cert then you are good.
Got the bank account number held with the bank but the date is missing
would that be okay or is it a major concern ?

Sher001

Star Member
Jul 4, 2018
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
02-10-2018
IELTS Request
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-09-2018
Got the bank account number held with the bank but the date is missing
would that be okay or is it a major concern ?

From CIC website it says exactly this:
For proof, you must get official letters from any banks or financial institutions where you are keeping money.

Letter(s) must:

• be printed on the financial institution’s letterhead
  • include their contact information (address, telephone number and email address)
  • include your name
  • list outstanding debts such as credit card debts and loans
  • include, for each current bank and investment account:
    • account numbers
    • the date each account was opened
    • the current balance of each account
    • the average balance for the past six months