+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Funds enquiry

Owbu1122

Nov 25, 2023
Hello,

I am a British student straight out of “high” school applying for a Canadian study permit for a 4 year degree in Red Deer. The annual tuition cost is $16,000. For proof of funds, I have attached: my personal bank statements showing $28,000, a receipt for my tuition deposit of $1,5000, a letter from my mum saying she will contribute $4,5000 (and a bit more if needed) a year and a letter from my father stating the same. I have also mentioned that I am currently employed and saving up with 9 paydays left till I would arrive in Canada and I am able to save roughly $2,500 per payday as demonstrated in my bank statements which would mean I would have $59,000 in total on arrival in Canada. I also stated me intention to work 20 hours a week to ease the cost of living and that I have a 180 hour Co-op work program which will also help bring in any further income.

does this sound like acceptable proof of funds? As I see varying information about what you are meant to show.

thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,

I am a British student straight out of “high” school applying for a Canadian study permit for a 4 year degree in Red Deer. The annual tuition cost is $16,000. For proof of funds, I have attached: my personal bank statements showing $28,000, a receipt for my tuition deposit of $1,5000, a letter from my mum saying she will contribute $4,5000 (and a bit more if needed) a year and a letter from my father stating the same. I have also mentioned that I am currently employed and saving up with 9 paydays left till I would arrive in Canada and I am able to save roughly $2,500 per payday as demonstrated in my bank statements which would mean I would have $59,000 in total on arrival in Canada. I also stated me intention to work 20 hours a week to ease the cost of living and that I have a 180 hour Co-op work program which will also help bring in any further income.

does this sound like acceptable proof of funds? As I see varying information about what you are meant to show.

thanks
IRCC doesn’t consider future income that you are saving. They only consider money in the bank when you apply. IRCC wants you to have the funds to show that you don’t need to work while studying. Saying you plan on working shows that you cannot afford your studies. You may not get a co-op job. Pay first year tuition. How are you going to afford a 4 year degree that totals around $100k? IRCC may wonder because even 20 hours per week at minimum wage may just cover living expenses.

Owbu1122

Nov 25, 2023
IRCC doesn’t consider future income that you are saving. They only consider money in the bank when you apply. IRCC wants you to have the funds to show that you don’t need to work while studying. Saying you plan on working shows that you cannot afford your studies. You may not get a co-op job. Pay first year tuition. How are you going to afford a 4 year degree that totals around $100k? IRCC may wonder because even 20 hours per week at minimum wage may just cover living expenses.
IRCC website says I must show only one year tuition and living and that I should provide “probable” cause that future funds will be available which is why I included what I did. I plan to have about $60,000 by the time I depart and then my parents will be making yearly contributions for each year as well

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
IRCC website says I must show only one year tuition and living and that I should provide “probable” cause that future funds will be available which is why I included what I did. I plan to have about $60,000 by the time I depart and then my parents will be making yearly contributions for each year as well
Saying you will work in Canada are not funds that IRCC wants to read. They want to see funds where you can study without working. All you can do is wait and see if approved.

And IRCC site doesn’t say only show one year tuition or anything about “probable” cause. Never seen that wording. It says minimum funds but Canada is so expensive that IRCC wants to see much more than the minimum. From POF “You must prove that you can support yourself and the family members who come with you while you are in Canada.”

Since you are a UK citizen, you will show ties to return to UK, why you cannot take program in UK and what career opportunities it will give you in the UK.

Owbu1122

Nov 25, 2023
I saw it on one of the tick lists for documents it said to present first year funds however the visa officer must be satisfied that more funds will be available in the future. Can’t remember the specific wording but that’s definitely what it said

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I saw it on one of the tick lists for documents it said to present first year funds however the visa officer must be satisfied that more funds will be available in the future. Can’t remember the specific wording but that’s definitely what it said
Ok. Many people come on this forum with the same question and then get refused for not enough funds. Future income is not considered because parents can lose their jobs and then you become destitute in Canada. Since you are UK citizen focus on returning after studies and why the program cannot be taken in the UK.