+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Funds check at Landing

chander_in

Jul 1, 2014
Hi,

I'm planning to land next month. I'll bring CAD 25000 with me. I've 2000 CAD DD from an Indian Bank for which I've paid INR and it is in CAD in my name. I'm also carrying 5000 cash.

As the total amount is more than $10K I believe I need to declare it, right?

One of my friends who has just landed has told me that during immigration they might scrutinize the source of my funds. Is it true? If yes, what are the supporting proofs that I need to carry for my Demand Draft?

Also, I made this DD from my father's account. Is that a problem?

Basically, I had 4 fixed deposits in my name. I cancelled 3 small ones and deposited money to my account. One had matured about a month back and I'd got a FD issued in my father's name with that money. For some reason I had to prepone my trip and to prepare funds to go I cancelled this FD that was now in my Father's name also and deposited the money to my account. Then I realized that my bank does not prepare CAD DDs so I transferred all the money to my Father's account and got the DD issued from that account.

Now the source is basically my FDs but the DD has been prepared from my father account and in one step for about one month one FD was in my Father's name. Is this whole thing a problem? Is there a chance that I need to prove this at the time of Landing? What documents should I carry with me? I've copies of my cancelled DDs. Should I carry? What else should I carry?

This is my money and my salary documents support my earnings. I'm getting worried because at the time of applying the guidelines per CIC are that the funds should be our money. As i said above this is my money but my question is do I have to prove it again now?

Chann

voltron

Feb 26, 2014
the 25000 is it already in Canada? and your just bringing 2000 DD and 5000 cash? I personally was only asked if i have been convicted of a crime since receiving the Cpr, I said no and he said Welcome to Canada. no question about money.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
The cashier desk of the vancouver airport only asked my family of how much cash we were carrying, we stated the truth and they did not ask to see any documents or the money.

This should be the least of your worries. I know from my own experience as my family worried about this a lot and it was all wasted time and efforts in the end as the airport authorities didn't really care.

3DL1N

Jul 2, 2014
Good day!

My family is planning to land this August at Vancouver. My current funds is only 9K CAD, way short of the declared POF (21K - 4members).
I used some my money to buy airfares & other processing fees.

Could you give any advice with my concern?

mikenz

Sep 5, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
3DL1N said:
Good day!

My family is planning to land this August at Vancouver. My current funds is only 9K CAD, way short of the declared POF (21K - 4members).
I used some my money to buy airfares & other processing fees.

Could you give any advice with my concern?
That sounds tragic, basically you are screwed. What happened to the money? You were supposed to have 21 k plus enough to purchase tickets and fees. The 21k are there to make life a bit easier in Canada, while looking for a job and so. When does COPR expire? August or later? If later you might want to land at a later date and safe some more.

Customs will pick up on this if you not declare more than 10 grand on your form when landing.. so I have no alternative option, sorry.

princeofindia

Star Member
Aug 31, 2011
Abu Dhabi
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-10-2010
Nomination.....
10-10-2011
AOR Received.
25-12-2011
Med's Request
19-05-2012
Med's Done....
03-08-2012
Interview........
NO
Passport Req..
05-01-2013
Hi

I will be grateful if someone can answer my landing questions:

1)Proof of funds- Is there a specific form for proof of funds or do we write on plain paper? I am bringing 5000 CAD cash and want to later transfer 33,000 CAD after i open a bank account. So i am going to carry bank statement of UAE showing 33,000 CAD in Dirhams which i will be moving later. Since i am carrying less than 10,000 CAD do i need to declare or since i will be moving 33,000 later it is counted as i bought 5,000+33,000=38,000 CAD which is more than 10,000 CAD. So i have to declare?

2)PR card app-IMM 5444E does this form has to be filled for each family member or only primary applicant husband should fill?

3)List of items accompanying (2copies) and List of goods to follow (2 copies) - Can we write on plain paper or there are some specific forms. I am only taking clothes for now but would be moving tv, fridge and sofa etc later.

4) I will apply for SIN at Canada service centre in person later. Is there a form to be filled or no form is required if i apply in person?

5)For photos for PR and SIN will normal passport size photos do or there is special size requirment for photos?

regards

otesolar

Mar 16, 2014
1. We(my wife and I) landed on Sunday 13 July 2014. All I was asked was if I had over 10000Dollars. I responded I had roughly 5000. then the lady asked how about the rest and i responded that i have well over 10000 which i will transfer from my home country. end of discussion.
You will need to declare if you have more than 10,000 cash with as you land. You may carry statements of accounts if the cash you have is less than what is required for your circumstance i.e. 10k-1 person, 12k-2 persons, and 2k for each additional person.

2. We did not fill any form. I guess the landing formalities takes care of that. We were asked for our address in Canada. I gave my brother's address. We told the PR card will arrive by mail.

3. I think its ok to list out so you dont forget anything but at the border post, there is a form that the CBSA officer will fill out listing items you will be asked to state that are to follow. A copy of that list will be handed over to you for keeps.

4. We applied in person and we did not fill any form. The Service Canada guy just asked for our details and keyed them in to his computer. He then printed out a confirmation having the SIN. Be ready though to spell out you names if they are not english ;D

5. We were not asked for pp photos

Hi

I will be grateful if someone can answer my landing questions:

1)Proof of funds- Is there a specific form for proof of funds or do we write on plain paper? I am bringing 5000 CAD cash and want to later transfer 33,000 CAD after i open a bank account. So i am going to carry bank statement of UAE showing 33,000 CAD in Dirhams which i will be moving later. Since i am carrying less than 10,000 CAD do i need to declare or since i will be moving 33,000 later it is counted as i bought 5,000+33,000=38,000 CAD which is more than 10,000 CAD. So i have to declare?

2)PR card app-IMM 5444E does this form has to be filled for each family member or only primary applicant husband should fill?

3)List of items accompanying (2copies) and List of goods to follow (2 copies) - Can we write on plain paper or there are some specific forms. I am only taking clothes for now but would be moving tv, fridge and sofa etc later.

4) I will apply for SIN at Canada service centre in person later. Is there a form to be filled or no form is required if i apply in person?

5)For photos for PR and SIN will normal passport size photos do or there is special size requirment for photos?

regards

kaps

Star Member
Jan 10, 2010
otesolar said:
5)For photos for PR and SIN will normal passport size photos do or there is special size requirement for photos?
SIN card is a card with no photo on it. so photos are not required for this

PR card has a specific photo requirement. But they use the same photo that you gave them while applying for PR from your country. check this link - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/pdf/5445EB-e.pdf

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

kaps said:
SIN card is a card with no photo on it. so photos are not required for this

PR card has a specific photo requirement. But they use the same photo that you gave them while applying for PR from your country. check this link - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/pdf/5445EB-e.pdf
The SIN card is no longer issued, only the number.

sherdil

May 22, 2013
islamabad
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
File Transfer...
July 2010
Med's Request
26 April 2014
Med's Done....
20 June 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
phep1 18th July 2014; phep2 31st July 2014
VISA ISSUED...
09th August 2014
LANDED..........
oct 2014 In shaa Allah
What happens if u enter but are short of funds? I mean can they make u go back and not enter at all.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

sherdil said:
What happens if u enter but are short of funds? I mean can they make u go back and not enter at all.
Yes, they can/will refuse entry and send you home.

techtalk

Jun 30, 2014
I think proof of funds is required only for FSW applicants. It is not required for CEC Applicants. Please let me know if the process is different.