App. Filed.......
29-09-2016
AOR Received.
11-10-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront: 28-07-2016
LANDED..........
14-02-2017
Quick question. I'll be arriving in Canada on Jan 10th with my Canadian wife who is returning to work there. I'd hoped I'd be landing as a permanent resident on the 10th but that's now looking unlikely given current timelines. My return ticket is for end of March. My question is will I need to demonstrate proof of funds to support myself if I'm entering Canada as a visitor intending to stay from Jan 10th until end of March?

prezdork

Star Member
Oct 19, 2016
Yes.

You must provide how you are going to support yourself. Proof of money in the bank, cash, if your wife is going to be helping you with expenses etc. This is just so they know you can support yourself, which will give them no reason to think you will work illegally to do so.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
andrews65 said:
Quick question. I'll be arriving in Canada on Jan 10th with my Canadian wife who is returning to work there. I'd hoped I'd be landing as a permanent resident on the 10th but that's now looking unlikely given current timelines. My return ticket is for end of March. My question is will I need to demonstrate proof of funds to support myself if I'm entering Canada as a visitor intending to stay from Jan 10th until end of March?
Bring your PR documents (application, payment proof), and look up "Dual Intent". You will have to advise CBSA that you are married, and that you have a PR application in process. They will be able to see that just by looking up your UCI. You will need to also provide proof of ties that will bring you back home (if you are claiming to be "visiting").

That said, they likely won't need them, as they can see you are following the correct procedure, because you are entering with dual intent -- you plan to visit, but also have grander plans to remain as a resident. But until they have issued you a PR, better to be safe...

dmywg

Nov 10, 2016
My husband came to Canada from the UK under dual intent last week. He had the sponsor approval letter and proof of funds ready but the agent couldn't have given less of a crap he said, didn't want to see any of it and just stamped his passport lol. So it's good to have that stuff just in case but you probably won't need it!

andrews65

Star Member
Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-09-2016
AOR Received.
11-10-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront: 28-07-2016
LANDED..........
14-02-2017
Thanks for the replies. Do you think that proof of a bank statement showing £sterling funds is sufficient or do I need proof of C$? We won't start transferring pounds to C$ until my wife has opened a checking account after we arrive.

dmywg

Nov 10, 2016
andrews65 said:
Thanks for the replies. Do you think that proof of a bank statement showing £sterling funds is sufficient or do I need proof of C$? We won't start transferring pounds to C$ until my wife has opened a checking account after we arrive.
Your UK bank statement should be sufficient, they shouldn't expect you to have a Canadian bank account as a visitor.