+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Funds - $2500....

Calypso

Mar 8, 2012
I have been granted my IEC Visa and will be flying to Canada in a week's time. I have a one way flight.

My question is regarding this:

a) "Before entering Canada, I will ensure I have one of the following that I can demonstrate at the port of entry: a ticket for my departure from Canada or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket"
b) "I possess sufficient financial resources to cover whatever expenses (e.g. room and board) I may incur at the beginning of my stay (minimum C$2,500).

Demonstration of funds is presumably in the form of a bank statement?
However, as I am going to be moving in with my partner and therefore room/board are covered and he is able to financially support me- is it possible that he writes a letter confirming HIS proof of address/income and confirmation that he can support my first few months in Canada until I find work?

Any information much appreciated!

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Are you saying you cannot provide evidence of $2500 in your own bank account so want to know if you can use his funds for proof? I am not an expert on this, but I wouldn't think they would accept this as proof of funds. What if you had an argument and broke up. You would have no return ticket and no personal funds. Am sure others will have responses. Good Luck.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't believe showing someone esle's bank statement is an option. You must prove that you have the funds in your own bank account. For the reasons stated by Pippin, Canada wants to see that you have these funds and are able to support yourself independently regardless of what your living arrangement plans are when you arrived in Canada.

And yes - you will need to provide a bank statement. It cannot be issued more than one week before your departure per CIC guidelines.

Calypso

Mar 8, 2012
I can prove I have it in my account anyway. If I carry say $1000 in cash and can prove $1500 in my account will they consider that proof enough or does the full amount have to be on a bank statement?