+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Financial Support

FastForward

May 11, 2017
How can I prove that I will be able to financially support myself for my study permit?

TL;DR: Is my mom's letter stating she will cover for me plus proof that she has a regular and decent income enough to prove financial support even if it is not the total amount of what I am expected to show upon arrival (about 37000CAD in my case)?
And should my Canadian boyfriend provide a letter too as he will for sure support me or is that a bad idea?
BTW I am an EU citizen, so visa requirements are in general less strict.

As of right now, I have not enough money in my account. The reason is simple; I just returned from a 2-year program in Ireland, where I had a student bank account which I no longer have access to now. I lived with student loans and grants and some money from my parents plus part-time work. I will do the same in Canada. BUT I am unsure how to prove this.

My mom will provide a letter stating that she will cover me in times of need plus a regular allowance, but even though she has a steady and good income, there is not enough money in her account to prove she would be able to cover my tuition and board etc. all at once (WHO really has that much money in their accounts at the same time anyway?). So, regular income, check. Enough money right this instant to pay a whole year in Canada? Nope.

I also have a boyfriend in Montreal, we will be living together and he said he is willing to sponsor me as well. I am a bit worried this could totally backfire though, as this could make them think I would be overstaying my visa (joke's on them, he actually wants to come back with me, but well...). Also a boyfriend is not as solid a sponsor as a parent or a boss. Not that I worry he would fall through, but to them that might appear to unreliable.

I can provide proof that I did receive grants and loans in the past and when I will receive them (official docs from the government of my country), that I am eligible for a bursary covering international student fees (however I will not receive a reply until a month from now, which is too far away), I can even prove that I am a teacher on unpaid leave, the degree I am going for benefits my professional development and my unpaid leave is due to end in one year but I will extend it to finish my program in Canada. So, I do have ties, I know I will have the money to cover my expenses, but I am worried the proof I have now might be insufficient...

What do y'all think?

iloveuk90

Jun 16, 2017
Hi, I am wondering if you have the answer for this? I am also in the same position as you and wonder if using a sponsor from my Canadian boyfriend is a good idea. Thanks! Hope to hear from you soon.

Scryden

Jan 29, 2016
First of all, there is a difference between 'boyfriend' and just a 'friend'. Which of the two is it? When you call it your boyfriend upon arrival, the border officer might assume you have a love relationship with him. This could raise a red flag and the officer will most likely redirect you to the immigration desk to sort out whether you may continue or should apply for spousal sponsorship/Family Class. I had this happen to me before at the airport. So as a general rule of thumb, never call it your boyfriend, just a friend. When the officer asks you where you know him from, just say you met on the internet or during an international exchange project at school or something. The officer is not going to verify your story. He has no time for that. Just make your story plausible.

For the proof of funds, you need to make it plausible that you are able to sustain yourself as long as your permit is valid. This is what you need to prove to the border officer. So make sure that when you show up at the Port of Entry that you bring a bank statement with you showing you have enough funds to cover for both your tuition loan and costs of living in Canada. When the tuition loan has to be paid back in pieces on a monthly basis, make sure you can prove to the officer that you have enough funds to cover these monthly expenses.

If your mother is going to cover for you and she does not have all the funds in her account right now, be sure to also bring a copy of your mom's contract with you. If somebody is going to financially sponsor you, the officer might want to see the sponsor's contract, hours of work per week and monthly income, so include some paystubs of your mom as well.

As a general rule of thumb, do whatever necessary to prove to the officer that you will financially not be in trouble during your stay in Canada. That is basically all you need to do. Additionally, you can search the CIC website what the minimum amount of funds is you need to bring with you into Canada. for a work permit, this is C$2500 for example. I am not sure about study permits and tuition loans.

Remember, the border agents are just people and they don't know you nor your personal/financial situation. They have to judge you and your story in less than a couple of minutes. So as long as you can make it very likely that you will not get yourself into financial troubles, you should be well on your way.

Last edited: