+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Financial Situations

Lush_jaya

Dec 19, 2017
I need help guys, my husband just received this email today. I really need advise please. We have been going through so much frustration over this application.

Application type: Outland
Applied date: Nov. 2016
I'm the wife, sponsoring my husband from Sri Lanka. Our VO is Colombo.

This is the letter we received,

"Dear __________,

I am in the process of assessing your application and it appears that you may not qualify for immigration to Canada as a member of family class.

Pursuant to section 39 of the immigration and refugee act, a foreign national is inadmissible for financial reasons if they are or will be unable or unwilling to support them selves or any other person who is dependent on them, and have not satisfied an officer that adequate arrangements for care and support, other than those that involve social assistance, have made.

After reviewing your sponsor's financial situation as well as your ability to financially support yourself in Canada, concerns exist with regard to the finances available to support you and your sponsor in Canada.

Before I make a final decision, please provide a plan in writing as to how you propose to financially support yourself and what arrangements have been put in place for your financial support in Canada (with supporting evidence).

You are given 30 days to comply with this request. Please be informed that failure to respond/ provide documents within the timeframe provided could result in refusal of the application.

If you choose not to respond, I will make my decision based on the information before me, which may result in the refusal of your application.

Sincerly,

Above is the letter he received as a response to our application.

I don't get this. Why is financial support a huge problem since I'm currently employed so as long as I have a job it didn't matter. What are the options we have right now?

What are they looking for? What should I provide them from both sides?

If this application get refused, can I take him to Canada as a visitor and then re-apply as an Inland application?

JulianaAndrew

Feb 14, 2017
Colombia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
App. Filed.......
26-07-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A and PCC: 01-09-2017
AOR Received.
AOR1: 01-09-2017, AOR2: 19-09-2017
File Transfer...
15-09-2017
Med's Request
02-01-2018
Med's Done....
23-01-2018
Interview........
06-12-2017 - Passed
Passport Req..
06-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2018
LANDED..........
10-03-2018
How much are you making annually? Do you have savings? Their concerns are very serious, as they are grounds for refusal. Don't think that just because you are employed this doesn't matter, that is the wrong thinking.
Is your husband currently working? Does he have any education or credentials that he could use to easily find a job in Canada? Do you have a plan so he gets a job soon after he lands in Canada? They are looking for a solid plan, financially speaking, when he arrives in Canada.

Does your husband have a visitor visa? If he doesn't, it will be basically impossible for him to get one now or after the application is refused, so applying inland wouldn't be an option. And if you managed to apply inland, you'd have to address the concerns the previous officer had when he/she refused your application, and if you get refused again, this time inland, you would not have the right to appeal.

Lush_jaya

Dec 19, 2017
Thank you very much for replying.

I make around 25K per year. I have some savings. Plus I live with my parents and I don't have to pay a rent or any bills.

My husband works at a bank back home. He's planning to continue his studies in the financial sector and work once he comes here. We also have a 1 yr old son. Even after he comes here we will be living with my parents.

No, he does not have a visitor visa. We applied for the spousal visa in Nov 2016 and waited for the results?

Will the really separate a child from a father?

JulianaAndrew

Feb 14, 2017
Colombia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
App. Filed.......
26-07-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A and PCC: 01-09-2017
AOR Received.
AOR1: 01-09-2017, AOR2: 19-09-2017
File Transfer...
15-09-2017
Med's Request
02-01-2018
Med's Done....
23-01-2018
Interview........
06-12-2017 - Passed
Passport Req..
06-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2018
LANDED..........
10-03-2018
I'm sorry, but the fact is that given the situation, it looks like the application can be easily refused on financial grounds. You are looking at a family of three people, you, your husband and your son. The low income cut-off (LICO) states that you need to be making $37,650 a year to sustain a family of three. You are 12k short, so it is a huge concern for them. You would need to show savings, and get letters from your parents saying they will not charge you rent. If he's planning to continue his studies there soon after he lands, that would be an issue for the immigration officer as well.
Like I said, the chances of approval for a visitor visa in your husband's case are basically zero. And yes, they will refuse the application if you don't address their concerns and also satisfy them. You would also need to show them a detailed plan on how your husband would get a job in Canada.

Confusewifey

Jun 4, 2016
Hi! just wanna ask if you have a job right now in canada?
I need help guys, my husband just received this email today. I really need advise please. We have been going through so much frustration over this application.

Application type: Outland
Applied date: Nov. 2016
I'm the wife, sponsoring my husband from Sri Lanka. Our VO is Colombo.

This is the letter we received,

"Dear __________,

I am in the process of assessing your application and it appears that you may not qualify for immigration to Canada as a member of family class.

Pursuant to section 39 of the immigration and refugee act, a foreign national is inadmissible for financial reasons if they are or will be unable or unwilling to support them selves or any other person who is dependent on them, and have not satisfied an officer that adequate arrangements for care and support, other than those that involve social assistance, have made.

After reviewing your sponsor's financial situation as well as your ability to financially support yourself in Canada, concerns exist with regard to the finances available to support you and your sponsor in Canada.

Before I make a final decision, please provide a plan in writing as to how you propose to financially support yourself and what arrangements have been put in place for your financial support in Canada (with supporting evidence).

You are given 30 days to comply with this request. Please be informed that failure to respond/ provide documents within the timeframe provided could result in refusal of the application.

If you choose not to respond, I will make my decision based on the information before me, which may result in the refusal of your application.

Sincerly,

Above is the letter he received as a response to our application.

I don't get this. Why is financial support a huge problem since I'm currently employed so as long as I have a job it didn't matter. What are the options we have right now?

What are they looking for? What should I provide them from both sides?

If this application get refused, can I take him to Canada as a visitor and then re-apply as an Inland application?
!

Lush_jaya

Dec 19, 2017
I'm sorry, but the fact is that given the situation, it looks like the application can be easily refused on financial grounds. You are looking at a family of three people, you, your husband and your son. The low income cut-off (LICO) states that you need to be making $37,650 a year to sustain a family of three. You are 12k short, so it is a huge concern for them. You would need to show savings, and get letters from your parents saying they will not charge you rent. If he's planning to continue his studies there soon after he lands, that would be an issue for the immigration officer as well.
Like I said, the chances of approval for a visitor visa in your husband's case are basically zero. And yes, they will refuse the application if you don't address their concerns and also satisfy them. You would also need to show them a detailed plan on how your husband would get a job in Canada.

My parents are willing to give me letters stating that they are going to help us in the future financially. And also they not asking for any rent. If the immigration refuses my husband's visa, will he be able come and visit us? Or can I appeal it?

Does he have to show his income and how mucj is he bringing in?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes you should provide banking information from your husband if he has savings. You should get a letter from your parents saying that you will be living with them for free and they will provide financial support to you if necessary and they should also include their banking information or notice of assessment.
Since your salary is quite low and already have one child your budget must be very tight even with parental help if you live in a large city. Adding your husband and perhaps other children will make it even more difficult especially if you can not work during your pregnancy or you take maternity leave. If your husband struggles to find a job when he arrives and is unemployed this could be a big issue. I would suggest you write out a plan about how your husband intends to find a job when he gets to Canada or if a friend or family member is willing to offer him a temporary job you can show that your husband will be working right away. Saying that you at both willing to work 2 jobs if necessary might also help.

In general immigration wants to show a concrete plan that you won't need to go on welfare, go to the food bank, need rental assistance, etc when your husband arrives in Canada. Although you are able to live with family sometimes that situation doesn't work out and so they have to take that into consideration. I am sure you receive free childcare from your mother but what if she got sick who would you pay for childcare while you work? These are the types of situations immigration must consider when making their decisions. Best of luck!

No he will never get a visa to visit if spousal sponsorship is refused because he has more ties to Canada than his home country.

Lush_jaya

Dec 19, 2017
Yes you should provide banking information from your husband if he has savings. You should get a letter from your parents saying that you will be living with them for free and they will provide financial support to you if necessary and they should also include their banking information or notice of assessment.
Since your salary is quite low and already have one child your budget must be very tight even with parental help if you live in a large city. Adding your husband and perhaps other children will make it even more difficult especially if you can not work during your pregnancy or you take maternity leave. If your husband struggles to find a job when he arrives and is unemployed this could be a big issue. I would suggest you write out a plan about how your husband intends to find a job when he gets to Canada or if a friend or family member is willing to offer him a temporary job you can show that your husband will be working right away. Saying that you at both willing to work 2 jobs if necessary might also help.

In general immigration wants to show a concrete plan that you won't need to go on welfare, go to the food bank, need rental assistance, etc when your husband arrives in Canada. Although you are able to live with family sometimes that situation doesn't work out and so they have to take that into consideration. I am sure you receive free childcare from your mother but what if she got sick who would you pay for childcare while you work? These are the types of situations immigration must consider when making their decisions. Best of luck!

No he will never get a visa to visit if spousal sponsorship is refused because he has more ties to Canada than his home country.
I'm so sorry to bother you like this, but your input is priceless at this moment.

I already have two jobs. And my uncle is willing to offer him a job as his bookkeeper until he finds a better job. My uncle has a cabinetry business. We have never ever applied for social assistance. I live in a small city. Not a crowded city like Toronto.

The job offer that he's being offered does it have to be in his career path or bookkeeping is fine for now?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No any job is fine. Many new Canadians struggle to find a job for many months so if your uncle can provide a letter offering him a job right away that will be very helpful for your case Your uncle should provide a letter explaining the hours he will be working, a brief description of the job and his rate of pay. You can also explain that the cost of living is lower in your area although rent is usually the most effected by living in a smaller vs larger city.

I'm not suggesting you have ever been on social assistance. You would have already been refused a spousal sponsorship had you had been on welfare before. When considering your case the main concern is that given your income, the fact that you have already had a child and that you may have another one soom after you are reunited you will be really struggling with just your income if your husband has a hard time getting a job. You may be really struggling either way especially if something unexpected comes up like a brief illness in your family or a job loss. They want proof that you have a plan so you don't turn to social assistance.

Get all the proof you can of various resources and give them a concrete plan om how you will be able to support yourself with a bit of a cushion and I think it should work out. Best of luck.

John013

Jun 17, 2017
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
29-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-06-2017
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
02-11-2017
Med's Done....
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2018
LANDED..........
06-10-2018
This is the first time i have read about an issue like this, especially since both of you work, what country is your husband applying from?

Last edited:

Lush_jaya

Dec 19, 2017
No any job is fine. Many new Canadians struggle to find a job for many months so if your uncle can provide a letter offering him a job right away that will be very helpful for your case Your uncle should provide a letter explaining the hours he will be working, a brief description of the job and his rate of pay. You can also explain that the cost of living is lower in your area although rent is usually the most effected by living in a smaller vs larger city.

I'm not suggesting you have ever been on social assistance. You would have already been refused a spousal sponsorship had you had been on welfare before. When considering your case the main concern is that given your income, the fact that you have already had a child and that you may have another one soom after you are reunited you will be really struggling with just your income if your husband has a hard time getting a job. You may be really struggling either way especially if something unexpected comes up like a brief illness in your family or a job loss. They want proof that you have a plan so you don't turn to social assistance.

Get all the proof you can of various resources and give them a concrete plan om how you will be able to support yourself with a bit of a cushion and I think it should work out. Best of luck.
Thank you so much. I will get all this sorted out with my uncle. I just wanted some kind of idea on what they are looking for. Now I get it. If I need any further details I will definitely contact you.

John013

Jun 17, 2017
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
29-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-06-2017
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
02-11-2017
Med's Done....
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2018
LANDED..........
06-10-2018
Sri Lanka.
I would have your parents write letters saying you are living in with them and will continue to do so for the time being, also send them your bank statements and job contracts, get your uncle to write a letter saying he will ofer your husband a job when he gets there and let your husband show proof of his current job at the bank. I dont see why they would reject your application on financial grounds when you can provide them with all that proof.

Lush_jaya

Dec 19, 2017
I would have your parents write letters saying you are living in with them and will continue to do so for the time being, also send them your bank statements and job contracts, get your uncle to write a letter saying he will ofer your husband a job when he gets there and let your husband show proof of his current job at the bank. I dont see why they would reject your application on financial grounds when you can provide them with all that proof.
That's what I'm going to provide them as proof for the time being. I will have my parents and my uncle write letters and I will provide my employment status as well as my savings. My husband can provide his current savings and his employment status. I don't know what else to give them as proof.