+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of employment - advice needed

miss_mp

Star Member
Nov 15, 2013
I'm trying to gather some proof of employment information to submit for PR via Express Entry. I've got most of them, though my problem is with some periods in which I worked freelance through an agency or chain company. Unfortunately the agency and also the chain have both been bought over and no longer in existence. As I was working self employed as a locum, I don't have anyone to write a letter for me, and the agency doesnt exist now. As these periods were over 10years ago, Ive not keep tax reports or pay slips or anything to show Ive been employed during this time. I was wondering if i only provided a cover letter to explain, would this be sufficient? Or should I omit these periods completely, in which case there will be gaps in employment, and I might lose some points? If i do include these periods and only provide a cover letter, would this then would my documents/application be counted as incomplete?
Thanks in advance.

rafzy

Champion Member
Jan 31, 2015
miss_mp said:
I'm trying to gather some proof of employment information to submit for PR via Express Entry. I've got most of them, though my problem is with some periods in which I worked freelance through an agency or chain company. Unfortunately the agency and also the chain have both been bought over and no longer in existence. As I was working self employed as a locum, I don't have anyone to write a letter for me, and the agency doesnt exist now. As these periods were over 10years ago, Ive not keep tax reports or pay slips or anything to show Ive been employed during this time. I was wondering if i only provided a cover letter to explain, would this be sufficient? Or should I omit these periods completely, in which case there will be gaps in employment, and I might lose some points? If i do include these periods and only provide a cover letter, would this then would my documents/application be counted as incomplete?
Thanks in advance.
Its better for you to omit these employment periods from your work history and show them in your personal history so to avoid giving them job letters.

PN2511

Nov 17, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-11-2015
AOR Received.
5-11-2015
File Transfer...
3-12-2015
Passport Req..
18/4/2016
we had the same problem. we provided whatever proof we could and submitted it. it is a chance we've taken and I do not know how safe is it to twist the application. It technical is not legal and could be "misrepresentation" in my honest opinion.

miss_mp

Star Member
Nov 15, 2013
Thanks for your advice. The only problem is those periods in time where i'm finding it hard to get any information is over 10 years ago. The work history asks for all work history, but it won't fit into the personal section as it's over 10 years ago, and the personal section only asks for the past years. I'd like to gain extra points if i could with having more work info, but not sure if i should just submit a cover letter to explain, and hope they can be okay about it.

JJ777

Nov 13, 2015
miss_mp said:
Thanks in advance.
Most of my work experience has been as a locum. I wrote the periods into my work history as self employed and wrote reference letters for myself. I currently have a CoPR, so it works. Hope that helps.

miss_mp

Star Member
Nov 15, 2013
Thanks JJ777. Oh that's good to know, i didn't think I could write my own reference letter, thanks for that. And congrats on your CoPR, that's great, hope it's all going well!

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just to let you know you can't write a reference letter for yourself. What you can do is to write a 'Solemn Affidavit' (supplemented by a number of documents) and swear the declaration in front of a Notary Public.

In my case I had to do this as the Employer I worked for 10 years ago closed the business and went into Retirement. I have done this and am using the following documents to supplement my Affidavit:

1) Copies of 'T4' equivalents for the period
2) Copies of Tax Returns for the Period
3) Proof company closed down as recorded by the Public company register
4) Proof of employment as per the signature of my boss for registration with Professional Accounting body

Hope this helps.

miss_mp

Star Member
Nov 15, 2013
Thanks JoacRy for your advice. Yeah I was thinking I had read in the CIC guidelines that self-declared references/ duties weren't accepted which is why I thought I couldnt write my own. My only problem is I've not kept tax forms from that far back, and one of the agencies have dissolved, the other bought over by another agency.
The only thing i have which isn't really great evidence is an email between me and this agency which bough over the one i used to use, to show that is has been bought over, but they have not kept old records. The only other piece of information i have is between me and the contractor company but its doesnt provide much info on my employment dates or salary.

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In this case the only reason I'm writing these references and solemnly swearing an 'Affidavit' in front of a Notary Public is because I genuinely cannot track down the owner or any of my former colleagues. I've tried LinkedIn, Facebook etc.

I just want to be as honest as possible hence why I've gone through and searched the Public Company registers to ensure the company does not genuinely exist. Also the official Taxation Notices of Assessment prove that the Taxation authorities have validated what I submitted in my Tax Return.

I'm just being as honest, open and straightforward as possible.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
miss_mp said:
Thanks in advance.
Do these jobs add any points to your CRS? Or add to program eligibility?

If neither of those, you can safely leave these jobs out of the Work history section of your application and mention them only under Personal history section of post ITA application.

miss_mp

Star Member
Nov 15, 2013
They'll add to my CRS points, since i was working under the NOC that I'm using to apply. But they were over 10 years ago - one back in 2001, and the other period in 2003 and 2004. Luckily they are not lengthy periods in time, a few months each, but still count. I've only typed up a cover letter to explain - since its been such a long time ago I've not kept any tax records/ pay stubs.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
miss_mp said:
They'll add to my CRS points, since i was working under the NOC that I'm using to apply. But they were over 10 years ago - one back in 2001, and the other period in 2003 and 2004. Luckily they are not lengthy periods in time, a few months each, but still count. I've only typed up a cover letter to explain - since its been such a long time ago I've not kept any tax records/ pay stubs.
Any foreign work experience more than 3 years old doesn't contribute to CRS.

miss_mp

Star Member
Nov 15, 2013
Oh, I thought they looked at all your work history, or at least for the past 10 years, no? Then will I not gain any more points for my previous years in the same NOC?

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If that is the case then my score doesn't benefit either. I have listed my employers going back to 2005 which is when I started to work in my field in my first professional job. I am going to disclose anyway as it is easier than not disclosing and getting questioned later.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
miss_mp said:
Oh, I thought they looked at all your work history, or at least for the past 10 years, no? Then will I not gain any more points for my previous years in the same NOC?
CRS maxes out at 3 years of foreign work experience. Any experience beyond that doesn't add anything to your application and can be safely left out of the application.