+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Documents for Self Employed / Founder of a Startup

psharma.np

Star Member
Apr 4, 2015
What are the documents to submit when working as Self-Employed? Also any one who has worked as a Founder of his/her own startup with no salary paid.

Pls. advise.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I did this for a relative who started their own company. We submitted the business registration of the company and SEC filings with their name on it. The receipts and contracts with clients were lost, and we sent a letter of explanation that we were not submitting those.

However, we did not claim work experience or declare profit/money earned for this, but just to show their personal history.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp

"if the applicant is self-employed, articles of incorporation or other evidence of business ownership, evidence of self-employment income, and documentation from third-party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details (self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable proof of self-employed work experience)."

ndshah26

Oct 11, 2017
What are the documents to submit when working as Self-Employed? Also any one who has worked as a Founder of his/her own startup with no salary paid.

Pls. advise.
Hi psharma. I am in a similar situation where I am a startup cofounder, but neither me nor my wife draw any salary from our venture. How did you handle this situation? Could you please help since there is very limited material available on the web regarding this issue. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

shortgriaffe

Star Member
Feb 8, 2018
Hi psharma. I am in a similar situation where I am a startup cofounder, but neither me nor my wife draw any salary from our venture. How did you handle this situation? Could you please help since there is very limited material available on the web regarding this issue. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Hi ndshah26,

I was wondering what you ended up doing. I'd appreciate a response.

Mar 4, 2018
I have a work experience in a Qualcomm for 3.5 starting from 2013 to 2016 and sunder has work experience in a Diamler for 2.8 years starting from 2013 to 2015.
After this we both started a startup for past two years. We both do not take salaries most of the time depending on how the company works. We have been travelling a lot for work for past 2 years.
My question is
1) Should we declare our startup work-ex under self-employed as we have a score of 454 without our startup work-ex added ? If yes what documents do we submit ?

2) We will be including all our travel in last one year and would mention the reason as business? In this case, if we haven't declared our employment how will immigration officer accept our travel reason as travel for business?

Mar 4, 2018
I did this for a relative who started their own company. We submitted the business registration of the company and SEC filings with their name on it. The receipts and contracts with clients were lost, and we sent a letter of explanation that we were not submitting those.

However, we did not claim work experience or declare profit/money earned for this, but just to show their personal history.
I have a work experience in a Qualcomm for 3.5 starting from 2013 to 2016 and sunder has work experience in a Diamler for 2.8 years starting from 2013 to 2015.
After this we both started a startup for past two years. We both do not take salaries most of the time depending on how the company works. We have been travelling a lot for work for past 2 years.
My question is
1) Should we declare our startup work-ex under self-employed as we have a score of 454 without our startup work-ex added ? If yes what documents do we submit ?

2) We will be including all our travel in last one year and would mention the reason as business? In this case, if we haven't declared our employment how will immigration officer accept our travel reason as travel for business?