+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of custody of minor

jacquilim

Apr 17, 2012
Hello,
We are sending in a separate application for my 17 year old for citizenship. I have to provide proof that I have custody of him but no where does it say what this proof should be. Can I just use a copy of his birth certificate? He lives with both my husband and I (ie his parents).

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
In the instructions it states:

The Citizenship Act requires that applications for minors (those under 18 years of age) applying under subsection 5(1) be submitted by a person who has custody of the minor, or who is empowered to act on behalf of the minor by virtue of a court order or written agreement or by operation of law unless otherwise ordered by a court. You must submit one of the following documents:

• A birth certificate listing you as the parent;
  • Adoption order;
  • Documents issued by the provincial/territorial courts granting custodial guardianship;
  • order of permanent guardianship

So, the birth certificate should be sufficient.

jacquilim

Apr 17, 2012
Thank you and I swear I read the instructions so many times and didn't see that. Thanks heaps. So glad not to have to try yet again for the millionth time to get through to CIC.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
lol... It really is a "drill down" process to figure out what to do with the application, sometimes. Good luck!