+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

proof of common-law relationship questions

amat

Nov 21, 2017
Hi

1. If you have definitive proof from day one to show at least 365 days of cohabitation, then yes.

2. No, you can't apply early. Common-law is a legal status; it would be like applying as married a few months before actually getting married. If you apply with anything less than 365 days of continuous cohabitation, your app will be refused.

3. Anything that proves that you have been at the same address for at least a year. There are many threads on common-law proofs.

Unless your partner can qualify for another IEC permit or you guys get married and submit the sponsorship app by Jan so he can receive the OWP by May, he will have to stop working. There is no Implied Status as a worker for a person on an IEC permit.
Thank you so much! That's really helpful. I do have some more questions based on your response so please bare with me. If I submit our application in May since that would be right when we would be living together for a year continuously, would he be able to apply for a OWP by then or would he not be able to work at all until our application is granted? Also, since we've moved addresses, what kinds of definitive proof could we provide to make the first few months of living at my parents' house count towards the 1 year of continuous cohabitation? We have a contract from our current apartment that shows that we both live here.

amat

Nov 21, 2017
Thank you so much! That's really helpful. I do have some more questions based on your response so please bare with me. If I submit our application in May since that would be right when we would be living together for a year continuously, would he be able to apply for a OWP by then or would he not be able to work at all until our application is granted? Also, since we've moved addresses, what kinds of definitive proof could we provide to make the first few months of living at my parents' house count towards the 1 year of continuous cohabitation? Would papers from opening a bank account with the old address and the date count? We have a contract from our current apartment that shows that we both live here.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you so much! That's really helpful. I do have some more questions based on your response so please bare with me. If I submit our application in May since that would be right when we would be living together for a year continuously, would he be able to apply for a OWP by then or would he not be able to work at all until our application is granted? Also, since we've moved addresses, what kinds of definitive proof could we provide to make the first few months of living at my parents' house count towards the 1 year of continuous cohabitation? We have a contract from our current apartment that shows that we both live here.
You can include an OWP app if you apply inland but he would have to stop working when his IEC permit expires and wouldn't be able to work again until the OWP is approved, which takes 2-4 months.

A notarized letter from your parents, mail at that address, payslips, IDs, bills etc. I'm going to guess that you don't have proofs starting on day one; your best plan would be for him to apply to extend his stay as a visitor before his IEC permit expires. This will give you more time beyond May to make sure you have as much solid proof of common-law as possible. Applying without any buffer time is a risk.