+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Citizenship

2nose

Star Member
Mar 8, 2016
Hello everyone, and happy holidays!

I am a Canadian citizen living in Uganda. My wife (she is from Uganda) recently gave birth to our son. We are planning to return to Canada sometime in 2021--likely in June--to begin the sponsorship process for my wife, and are wondering whether my son can accompany us so long as we have proof that I (a Canadian citizen) is the father (ie a birth certificate)? Or do we also need to apply for proof of Canadian citizenship? Or apply for a passport?

In other words--what is the easiest/best way for my son to return to Canada with my wife and I?

Thanks!

Asinai marion

Jan 22, 2020
Uganda
Category........
Other
Your suitation is the same as mine.am Ugandan married to Canadian citizen who is residing in canada.we have two kids.we were told to apply for proof of citizenship for the kids so that they may get Canadian passports.inother words you need to apply for your son's proof of citizenship for him to travel with you.i applied for my kids through Canadian consolant Kampala in Feb 2020 but up to now no update .

Reactions: mashulia_26

KYOrange

Apr 11, 2021
Similar situation here, myself, a Canadian citizen. Child born in China. Wife, a Chinese citizen. Applied for spousal sponsorship in April 2020 for my wife also applied Proof of Citizenship for my child in April 2020.

At this point (April 2021)
My wife's sponsorship case status: medical and biometric requested and submitted. Pre-arrival service letter received from IRCC.
My child's Proof of Citizenship status: no update at all. I emailed the local general consulate office (where I submitted the paper application) and they responded that they cannot provide any updates. They said the application was mailed to the processing center in Canada by a "diplomatic bag" but they are not able to provide any update.

I will try to contact them and apply an urgent processing once my wife's sponsorship has the official approval and claim that we need urgent processing for the child so we can all travel back to Canada together.