+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Citizenship Questions

QC_or_not_QC

Feb 19, 2017
We will be applying for citizenship for two children (ages 2 & 5) born in the US to an American citizen and a Canadian citizen/US green card holder. We have birth certificates, photos, but don't know what kind of identity documents to send for them. I assume that a US passport would count since that has a picture on it. They obviously don't have driver's licenses, and US SS cards/health insurance cards don't have pictures or even addresses, but could one of those count for the second document?

Do we need to send a certified copy of the marriage certificate since it asks about the parents marital status? I know we need to send a certified copy of the Canadian citizen's birth certificate. Do we need to send two copies of these documents since we are applying for two children? What about two copies of the document checklist?

Sorry if this is a repeat from other threads. I tried searching for answers, but the most relevant results seemed to be pretty old.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The children only need one document with a photo, so if each has a passport, that will work fine. As to the second document, there is no requirement that there be a photo or address, so a SS card should do.

You do not need to enclose a copy of your marriage certificate.

If you are applying at the same time for both children, you only need to enclose one original or certified copy of the Canadian parent's birth certificate. As to the checklist, it's not difficult to enclose two. Write one child's name at the top of one, and the other child's name on the other, and indicate on each that the parent's birth certificate is to be shared by both children.