+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Citizenship online tracking

Lararay92

Jul 19, 2019
Hi

I applied from UK for proof of citizenship. Sent to the Canadian embassy in UK and it was received in the NS processing centre 24 May.
They sent acknowledgement of receipt on 1 August and since then all my tracking info states is ‘application received’
It hasn’t moved to ‘In Process’ at all and I am wondering if anyone else had to wait this long as 3+ months seems a long time for it not to update. Particularly as the max time from UK is 9 months (so technically I should hear end of Feb)

Anyone ever had to wait so long for an update? I definitely filled in all pages.

Lararay92

Jul 19, 2019
same here. received may 25th, aor july 25th, nothing since
Perhaps they are just inundated with applications at the moment!

Is yours pretty straight forward? Mine is just Canadian by descent to a parent.

Did you apply outside of Canada?

I used the web form to contact them yesterday as it has been over the 5 month processing time. Waiting to hear back.

Feeling so anxious!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Processing times as hopefully you know are averages and not committments. As long as applications have been received just have to be patient and let them go through the system.

Lararay92

Jul 19, 2019
Processing times as hopefully you know are averages and not committments. As long as applications have been received just have to be patient and let them go through the system.
Hi yes I am aware of that, but hey do say you can contact them if your application exceeds that time so that is what I have done, just to see what is going on!

Lararay92

Jul 19, 2019
Hi yes I am aware of that, but hey do say you can contact them if your application exceeds that time so that is what I have done, just to see what is going on!

I have seen lots of old threads on here of people being referred to program support in similar sounding situations and just want to check that’s not what has happened! :)

Rullence

Star Member
Nov 4, 2018
for canadians born outside canada, there is 99% chance that applications will go to program support unit even if supporting documents are complete.

Lararay92

Jul 19, 2019
for canadians born outside canada, there is 99% chance that applications will go to program support unit even if supporting documents are complete.
Oh really? People I’ve spoken to through Facebook group born outside Canada hadn’t gone there!! Bet my luck I will!

bd6666

Jul 8, 2019
Perhaps they are just inundated with applications at the moment!

Is yours pretty straight forward? Mine is just Canadian by descent to a parent.

Did you apply outside of Canada?

I used the web form to contact them yesterday as it has been over the 5 month processing time. Waiting to hear back.

Feeling so anxious!
Yeah same. Child born to Canadian in the USA.

BTW i got webform reply, but it was generic and did not say anything at all. I will call their # next week when im in Canada

FogoMac

Feb 14, 2019
Hi there,

Patience is the key. Like yourself, I applied from the UK. My status has just been updated to “In Process” 14 months after Acknowedgement of Receipt (AOR), and could very well be a program support referral from now.

I don’t think it states anywhere that it will be a “max of 9 months from the UK”, that’s just not how it works.

Sit tight and best of luck with your application.

Lararay92

Jul 19, 2019
Hi all

So I emailed them as it had passed the 5 month processing time and I am due to fly to Canada soon and if I was approved as a dual National I’d need to apply for a Canadian passport in time.

They came back to me by email and said they passed it along to the office and my application has now been completed and my certificate has been sent. That happened within a week of me contacting them. So they definitely don’t send all applications for Canadians born abroad to the program support unit which is a relief!

Good luck everyone!

Lararay92

Jul 19, 2019
I am totally aware that the 5 months processing time is just a given time and may not happen within that time , but they do say on their website if your application exceeds normal processing times to contact them via the web form. Totally no harm in doing so :)

As I said mine wasn’t being impatient but more being worried if approved I’d not be able to apply for a passport in time for the Dual National rule for entering Canada.

I wish everyone all the best and keep me updated:)

Reactions: Rullence

Rullence

Star Member
Nov 4, 2018
Hi all

So I emailed them as it had passed the 5 month processing time and I am due to fly to Canada soon and if I was approved as a dual National I’d need to apply for a Canadian passport in time.

They came back to me by email and said they passed it along to the office and my application has now been completed and my certificate has been sent. That happened within a week of me contacting them. So they definitely don’t send all applications for Canadians born abroad to the program support unit which is a relief!

Good luck everyone!
Congratulations. Im happy for you. Actually, the embassy where u lodged ur application plays a vital role in the processing of your application. I came to that conclusion based on the ATIP notes and comments i requested and received. The way i see it, IRCC once an application is already on queue, they normally revert to the high consulate where u lodged ur application. They will ask the consulate if the latter will vouch ( i.e document authenticity, confidence about applicants identity) for you. If they do, you will receive the Certificate within the historical timeframe of 5 mos. Otherwise, application will be queued to PSU. That happened to me.

In my ATIP, it verbatimly reads "Embassy suggested DNA". It is very heartbreaking.

Lararay92

Jul 19, 2019
Congratulations. Im happy for you. Actually, the embassy where u lodged ur application plays a vital role in the processing of your application. I came to that conclusion based on the ATIP notes and comments i requested and received. The way i see it, IRCC once an application is already on queue, they normally revert to the high consulate where u lodged ur application. They will ask the consulate if the latter will vouch ( i.e document authenticity, confidence about applicants identity) for you. If they do, you will receive the Certificate within the historical timeframe of 5 mos. Otherwise, application will be queued to PSU. That happened to me.

In my ATIP, it verbatimly reads "Embassy suggested DNA". It is very heartbreaking.
Oh really? I had no idea.
I’m so sorry to hear about yours - I hope it gets processed as soon as possible.

xza

Mar 6, 2020
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on July 24, 2019.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on October 1, 2019.
  3. We started processing your application on March 5, 2020.

Reactions: JoelUk