+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Citizenship App Sent AUG 2015 - Daughter born to CDN Father Abroad -

rock_th_chuk

Nov 9, 2016
I am a Canadian national who lived in Japan for 15+ years, I moved to Canada with my wife (Permanent Resident - Approved in September 2015) and daughter in March of 2015, was told to apply for daughter as a Canadian Citizen (Proof of Citizenship) shortly after arrival and sent application in August of 2015, the expected waiting period was 5 months. I waited and in February as the 5 month period had elapsed we received a letter stating that there would be a delay in processing. No stated timeline, just a delay, no person or office to contact. So I waited until June and called the CIC office, after waiting I was told that if we didn't hear back until the end of August 2017 we should give them a call again. So I contacted my MP and the assistant sent a request for more info on my behalf again and we received the following; The 'application was transferred to a department known as Program Support on November 25, 2015' and it could take up to 24 months to process after this date...

That is it, we could end up waiting 2.5 years for my daughter who is Canadian to receive her Proof of Citizenship. This type of application should take no more than 3 months, I can see 5 months as a far end of processing time, but 2.5 years? Really?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get more information on where my daughters file really is and how I can get answers? :(

rock_th_chuk

Nov 9, 2016
Really no feedback, has anyone had the same experience with our CIC? i.e your application disappears into the abyss with no idea how to track it?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
rock_th_chuk said:
Really no feedback, has anyone had the same experience with our CIC? i.e your application disappears into the abyss with no idea how to track it?
People post advice here for free. It can often take several hours - even days for the right person to see your post and respond. You'll have to be patient if you want free answers. If you want immediate answers, you may be better off hiring an immigration lawyer or consultant to advise you.

You can also look through the historical posts in this section that deal with delayed applications.

Good luck.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I googled it and only came up with that it happened to someone else too, see http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/cpc-program-support-unitgrant-of-citizenship-for-minors-under-para-5-2-t117671.0.html

As far as I see, there's a couple of options you can try like request your info under the freedom of information act to see if you can find out why they had a problem with your application or you could try to get more people to ask their MP's to inquire on your behalf.

I know in extreme cases, people have filed through the courts for a writ of mandamus but I don't know anything about this process. However, I found something about it here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/use-of-mandamus-t35955.0.html

rock_th_chuk

Nov 9, 2016
Thank you Leon and scylla,
Apologies on sounding like an ass ;), I assumed this was a common issue (as well just at the limits of my patience with CIC), as well I totally realize that this forum is made up of helpful people just trying to get answers and keep CIC accountable. Thanks to all who contribute!
I just spoke with CIC again, yes it has gone to Program Support in which there is no way to know if it will be completed in a month or up to 2 years.

I will await another few weeks and look to escalate this. The agent confirmed there is a significant backlog.