+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Canadian Relative

kamil86

Mar 21, 2019
Hi guys,

So I've claimed points for my wife's sister living in Canada who happens to be a Canadian citizen as well. I'm confused as to what documents should I attach? Right now, I've asked her to send:

1. Her Canadian passport that will prove her Canadian citizenship
2. Her driving license which will prove her residence address
3. I've also asked her for her last 6 month credit card statement since mortgages, leases, etc. are all on her husband's name
4. To show relation between my wife and her sister, I'm thinking of preparing a notarized document as all official ID documents of my wife have her name and my name, and same is the case with my wifes' sisters documents. I'm having trouble prove relationship between the two.

TIA

skape7

Apr 24, 2017
Can your wife and your sister-in-Law not provide birth certificates showing the same names for parents? IMO that would be more conclusive than an affidavit.

kamil86

Mar 21, 2019
Can your wife and your sister-in-Law not provide birth certificates showing the same names for parents? IMO that would be more conclusive than an affidavit.
See that's the issue. While I do have my wife's birth certificate, I don't have one for sister-in-law. All her current documents show her husband's name instead of father's name. What to do?

Reactions: Tom0712

skape7

Apr 24, 2017
See that's the issue. While I do have my wife's birth certificate, I don't have one for sister-in-law. All her current documents show her husband's name instead of father's name. What to do?
Alright. Lets go back to the 'completeness check list of requirements' at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html. Check under 'Proof of relationship to a relative in Canada, status of a relative in Canada and residence status of a relative in Canada'

Now this might seem a little convoluted...I don't know your country of origin, but does your Sister-in-law have any educational documents showing father's name? School Leaving Certificate? Any other document that shows any of the parent's names? Her past (expired) passport of the country of origin with this information? Previous driving license with the same address in the country of origin?
If yes, here's what I can think of...
1. Your Wife's birth certificate (Showing Fathers/ Mothers name/s)
2. Any document from your sister-in-law's showing any of the parent's names / paternal information
3. Marriage certificate of your parents (if the above documents show either mother or father independently)
4. Letter of Explanation tying all these together

or if the above cant be arranged, then perhaps you could get an affidavit stating the relationship and the fact that there is no other legal documents that show the relationship. In this case though, you will need to add more documentary evidence of trips made to each others homes, pictures together etc...

kamil86

Mar 21, 2019
Alright. Lets go back to the 'completeness check list of requirements' at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html. Check under 'Proof of relationship to a relative in Canada, status of a relative in Canada and residence status of a relative in Canada'

Now this might seem a little convoluted...I don't know your country of origin, but does your Sister-in-law have any educational documents showing father's name? School Leaving Certificate? Any other document that shows any of the parent's names? Her past (expired) passport of the country of origin with this information? Previous driving license with the same address in the country of origin?
If yes, here's what I can think of...
1. Your Wife's birth certificate (Showing Fathers/ Mothers name/s)
2. Any document from your sister-in-law's showing any of the parent's names / paternal information
3. Marriage certificate of your parents (if the above documents show either mother or father independently)
4. Letter of Explanation tying all these together

or if the above cant be arranged, then perhaps you could get an affidavit stating the relationship and the fact that there is no other legal documents that show the relationship. In this case though, you will need to add more documentary evidence of trips made to each others homes, pictures together etc...
I'm from Pakistan. So I've managed to find the marriage certificate for my SIL so the father's name matches there. I can then mention in LOE that father's name and National Identity Card number matches so there's the proof of relationship. Do I still need to attach an affidavit? Also, father's name is enough as one common parent is mandatory not both, right?

skape7

Apr 24, 2017
That
I'm from Pakistan. So I've managed to find the marriage certificate for my SIL so the father's name matches there. I can then mention in LOE that father's name and National Identity Card number matches so there's the proof of relationship. Do I still need to attach an affidavit? Also, father's name is enough as one common parent is mandatory not both, right?
Thats right, buddy...I think showing one parent should be fine (although this does not apply to you, remember that even step-brothers and sisters are considered relatives by IRCC), but make sure to mention in the LOE that they are both biological sisters of the same parents. I think the documents you have are fine, and you could perhaps skip the Affidavit. Just make sure you put together a rock-solid letter of explanation, and I am sure if the Visa Officer has any concerns, he will ask for additional/ specific documents....Good luck with your application
P.S: If anyone else has personal experience in similar circumstances, your recommendations are most welcome.

Reactions: kamil86

kamil86

Mar 21, 2019
That

Thats right, buddy...I think showing one parent should be fine (although this does not apply to you, remember that even step-brothers and sisters are considered relatives by IRCC), but make sure to mention in the LOE that they are both biological sisters of the same parents. I think the documents you have are fine, and you could perhaps skip the Affidavit. Just make sure you put together a rock-solid letter of explanation, and I am sure if the Visa Officer has any concerns, he will ask for additional/ specific documents....Good luck with your application
P.S: If anyone else has personal experience in similar circumstances, your recommendations are most welcome.
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation!

kamil86

Mar 21, 2019
I uploaded citizen card passport and utilities bills as proof
The thing is that my SIL's husband has all documents on his name like mortgage, utility bills, etc. I can only attack her credit card statement, driving license, passport and citizen card

skape7

Apr 24, 2017
The thing is that my SIL's husband has all documents on his name like mortgage, utility bills, etc. I can only attack her credit card statement, driving license, passport and citizen card
Remember, you will have two sections in the document checklist: 1. Proof of relationship - for documents that show evidence regarding the relationship with the family member in Canada and 2. Family Member Proof of status - for documents that show that the Canadian relative actually resides in Canada. So this will include Lease agreements, Mortgage payment receipts, pay stubs, credit card statements, utility bills etc...

Tom0712

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
I got into the same issue when I had to prove the relationship between my mom and my aunt as she changed her last name when she married my uncle.

So here what I did:
1. Copy of birth certificate from both, in this case, only my grandma name is the same on both certificates, and my grandpa name somehow got messed up in my aunts. Of course, if they are not in English, you will need to get them translated and notarized.
2. I have the name changed certificate from my aunt when she changed her last name. You can use this as well
3. A letter of explanation to explain it thoroughly. If you have more than just the relationship need to be explained, make this one as a part of your letter.

kamil86

Mar 21, 2019
Remember, you will have two sections in the document checklist: 1. Proof of relationship - for documents that show evidence regarding the relationship with the family member in Canada and 2. Family Member Proof of status - for documents that show that the Canadian relative actually resides in Canada. So this will include Lease agreements, Mortgage payment receipts, pay stubs, credit card statements, utility bills etc...
Yes, for proof of status, I have credit card statement, driving license (showing residential address), passport, canadian citizen card.

The only problem is proof of relationship. I'm trying to find any official document that lists at least one parent's name so I can get a notarized affidavit explaining the relationship.

kamil86

Mar 21, 2019
I got into the same issue when I had to prove the relationship between my mom and my aunt as she changed her last name when she married my uncle.

So here what I did:
1. Copy of birth certificate from both, in this case, only my grandma name is the same on both certificates, and my grandpa name somehow got messed up in my aunts. Of course, if they are not in English, you will need to get them translated and notarized.
2. I have the name changed certificate from my aunt when she changed her last name. You can use this as well
3. A letter of explanation to explain it thoroughly. If you have more than just the relationship need to be explained, make this one as a part of your letter.
I'm struggling to find any official document that lists a common parent. While my wife has her official birth certificate and marriage certificate with her father's name, my SIL has no such document with her. She moved to Canada over a decade ago and she doesn't have her birth certificate or even marriage certificate (official one). She has her nikah nama which is basically a temporary proof of marriage that needs to be registered with the National database.

Tom0712

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
I'm struggling to find any official document that lists a common parent. While my wife has her official birth certificate and marriage certificate with her father's name, my SIL has no such document with her. She moved to Canada over a decade ago and she doesn't have her birth certificate or even marriage certificate (official one). She has her nikah nama which is basically a temporary proof of marriage that needs to be registered with the National database.
Well, if you don't have any documents to prove it. Then I would suggest you to do the DNA test, then submit together with a letter of explanation. This is the only way I can see...