+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of address

alibrm

Feb 21, 2021
Hello everyone,

I am an international student and my classes start in September.

I’ve been searching online about how to open a bank account and how to get a SIN number, but to do both things I need a proof of address.

How can a newcomer get the first proof of address?

Thank you all!

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
That needs to be done once you are in Canada. I did experience the same thing. Once you get to Canada, the place you will live will be your proof of address, i.e. rental/lease contract. The bank will then give you the second proof of address (same address as your contract) to apply for your SIN.

However, you can open savings accounts with that bank and start saving money. That doesn't need and proof of address.

Reactions: alibrm

alibrm

Feb 21, 2021
That needs to be done once you are in Canada. I did experience the same thing. Once you get to Canada, the place you will live will be your proof of address, i.e. rental/lease contract. The bank will then give you the second proof of address (same address as your contract) to apply for your SIN.

However, you can open savings accounts with that bank and start saving money. That doesn't need and proof of address.

Thank you for answering!
Unfortunately, in my case I’ll live with two friends and thus I won’t have a rental contract for example.. so I still don’t know how to get the first proof of address

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
Thank you for answering!
Unfortunately, in my case I’ll live with two friends and thus I won’t have a rental contract for example.. so I still don’t know how to get the first proof of address
You will develop it with time i.e phone bill, or letter of enrolment from school showing your current address. As long as it shows your name and the address.

Akhila priya

Nov 11, 2019
Hi
Iam an international student staying in Canada
I want to apply for sin number
My doubt is I stay at my sisters house I don’t have rental agreement or bills
what should I add as an address proof

thank you

Akhila priya

Nov 11, 2019
Thank you for answering!
Hi

thank you

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi

thank you
Your phone bill can be used as a proof of address...

abmaza

Jul 7, 2021
Hi yes phone bill should be enough.
But in my case luckily they didn’t ask me for that,I only showed my study permit and passport (i booked an appointment and walked in)
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am moving to Canada next month and I will use my phone bill