+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of address for sponsored parents

s_Fanous

Apr 2, 2015
Hello

I sponsored my parents and they landed last week.

We've been looking into getting them their SIN and OHIP cards but both require proof of address.

My parents will be staying with us in the house that we own but it isn't clear what sort of documentation we can provide to prove this. Do we need to enter a lease agreement with them although they won't be paying any rent?

Appreciate the help

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello

We've been looking into getting them their SIN and OHIP cards but both require proof of address.

My parents will be staying with us in the house that we own but it isn't clear what sort of documentation we can provide to prove this. Do we need to enter a lease agreement with them although they won't be paying any rent?

Appreciate the help
Entering into a lease with them will be fine and probably the easiest. you can put some nominal amount of rent (like $50 a month or whatever).

Or if you're not in a rush, add them to some insurance policy or look at other options.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Entering into a lease with them will be fine and probably the easiest. you can put some nominal amount of rent (like $50 a month or whatever).

Or if you're not in a rush, add them to some insurance policy or look at other options.
Bad idea. It's kind lying to the government and your tax return.

Better to get a Bank Account and use the bank statement as address proof. Or use the insurance policy as address proof.

Reactions: canuck78

kulb

Feb 11, 2018
Hello

Appreciate the help
Hi, I am in a similar situation. My mom will be moving on PR in a few weeks. What document did you provide for proof of residency for health coverage? I will be opening a bank account for my mom, but getting the statement will take some time, like a month or so.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I am in a similar situation. My mom will be moving on PR in a few weeks. What document did you provide for proof of residency for health coverage? I will be opening a bank account for my mom, but getting the statement will take some time, like a month or so.
How about using the void cheque provided by the bank?

anuragshah89

Star Member
May 24, 2014
Hi Kulb
Can you provide details as how you applied OHIP for your parents and what documents are needed?

krishvivi

Star Member
Mar 10, 2021
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
22-02-2021
Hi Kulb
Can you provide details as how you applied OHIP for your parents and what documents are needed?
Hi , What we did is, we opened bank account and used that document to get SIN number and used SIN and Bank Account Statement to apply for BCID & Health Card. received temporary health card no after 3mons

krishvivi

Star Member
Mar 10, 2021
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
22-02-2021
Hello

Appreciate the help
Hi ,

we were in same situation as urs. My parents landed in June .
What we did is, we opened bank account and used that document ( if u open they will give documents detailing name address account details) to get SIN number and used SIN and Bank Account Statement to apply for BCID & Health Card. received temporary health card no after 3mons