+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof / Documentary evidences for Common Law Relationship

FilCanCouple

Star Member
Sep 16, 2017
Hello,

We received a request letter from the CIC to provide additional proof to show that I [principal applicant] can be considered the common-law spouse of my sponsor. We were ask to submit the following; Submissions may include but should not be limited to: evidence of shared finances (ie joint bank accounts), insurance policies naming each other as beneficiaries, evidence of shared expenses, evidence of shared decision making in personal matters.

We do not have a joint bank account and an insurance yet. We have been living together for more than four years now and have been sharing all expenses since then. We already submitted our proof of lease agreement with both our names stated, billing statement with same address, photos of us with our family and friends to prove that our relationship is genuine, and our social media accounts proving that our relationship is known to public.

What other evidences should we provide to satisfy them? What do they mean about evidence of shared decision making in personal matters? They also ask my sponsor to provide a documentary evidence of his return to Canada. My sponsor was born and raised in Germany but has a Canadian citizenship. We intend to move to Canada to start our new lives and possibly to build a family there. The CIC would like to see evidence that my sponsor has started to look for housing and jobs in Canada. How can we prove this? It is hard to tell your prospect employers when we do not know yet when we will arrive.

Please share some advice. Thank you very much...I appreciate your time.

Best regards

JoshC

Nov 3, 2018
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
21-11-2018
AOR Received.
29-01-2019
File Transfer...
27-02-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
25-02-2019
Passport Req..
14-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
30-05-2019
With my application I sent:
  • A copy of our driving licences showing the same address.
  • Our joint lease for a rental property for 18 months.
  • Our car insurance naming us both.
  • Evidence of shared expenses (snapshots of our banking transactions between the two of us)
  • Pay stubs showing our address.
  • Phone bills for both of us showing our address.
  • Letters from our family and friends.
With regards to the proof that you will live in Canada:

• Write a letter outlining your plans once you arrive, the area you want to move to, jobs you've looked at etc.
  • If your partner has family in Canada still then a letter from them with their support would help.

smallcoffee

Apr 4, 2018
Paris
You try your best to send what you can, if you cannot provide the document needed, simply explain why.
All applications are different and no single piece of evidence can prove common-law, they will evaluate the whole package.
As for evidence of return to Canada, maybe you can try to post screenshots of job search engines (linkedin, indeed, etc.), same for housing search engines

Reactions: FilCanCouple

Calm2019

Jan 31, 2019
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
November 2, 2018
Doc's Request.
Not Applicable
AOR Received.
November 22, 2018
Med's Request
January 21, 2019
Med's Done....
January 29, 2019
Hello,

We received a request letter from the CIC to provide additional proof to show that I [principal applicant] can be considered the common-law spouse of my sponsor. We were ask to submit the following; Submissions may include but should not be limited to: evidence of shared finances (ie joint bank accounts), insurance policies naming each other as beneficiaries, evidence of shared expenses, evidence of shared decision making in personal matters.

We do not have a joint bank account and an insurance yet. We have been living together for more than four years now and have been sharing all expenses since then. We already submitted our proof of lease agreement with both our names stated, billing statement with same address, photos of us with our family and friends to prove that our relationship is genuine, and our social media accounts proving that our relationship is known to public.

What other evidences should we provide to satisfy them? What do they mean about evidence of shared decision making in personal matters? They also ask my sponsor to provide a documentary evidence of his return to Canada. My sponsor was born and raised in Germany but has a Canadian citizenship. We intend to move to Canada to start our new lives and possibly to build a family there. The CIC would like to see evidence that my sponsor has started to look for housing and jobs in Canada. How can we prove this? It is hard to tell your prospect employers when we do not know yet when we will arrive.

Please share some advice. Thank you very much...I appreciate your time.

Best regards
Hi maybe with regards to shared decision making is all about your plans to move here in Canada so just make a personal statement that both of you agreed with that decision and be detailed on the reason what are your plans, why, when, where etc.with your signatures. Good luck!