+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Program selection for 3 year PGWP eligibility

Simmidas

Mar 19, 2019
Dear All,
I am in a process of applying to some universities for Sep 2020 intake for masters. My program selection is based on two priorities 1. Courses linked with program 2. Program duration; so that I am eligible for 3 years of PGWP. It should not that I select a program and only after joining I realize that it is not eligible for 3 years of PGWP. Hence, expert inputs are required.
My background is B.Tech in Computer Science and Engg. I have 13 years of work experience in IT. I have 90+ % in 10th,12th and GPA in BTech is 8.15

Here are some of the observations:
1. MEngg (Master of Engineering) programs are available in most of the universities but the duration is 3 terms (12 Months) without any break. Are these programs eligible for 3 years PGWP?. Some says Co-Op option eligible. What if I dont get a Co-Op then how this should be considered.
2. MEngg with duration mentioned as 1.5 to 2 years. How these program should be considered ?
3. MSC with duration 16 Months (4 Terms) without any scheduled break. What about these?
4. MSC with duration 2 years but can be completed in 16 Months if more credits are taken in each term. How this is considered?

Some other observations:
1. Master with minimum of 30 credits/10 courses (3 credits). Is this eligible for 3 years PGWP
2. Minimum of 9 credits should be taken in each term except last term

Let us have some brainstorming here so that other students can also get the benefit.

Simmidas

Mar 19, 2019
Nobody responded to my above point.
Let me make it short.
Is MEngg having duration 1 year (3 terms) eligible for 3 years PGWP?

Regards!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016

PriyankaPratik

Star Member
Jun 16, 2019
Dear All,
I am in a process of applying to some universities for Sep 2020 intake for masters. My program selection is based on two priorities 1. Courses linked with program 2. Program duration; so that I am eligible for 3 years of PGWP. It should not that I select a program and only after joining I realize that it is not eligible for 3 years of PGWP. Hence, expert inputs are required.
My background is B.Tech in Computer Science and Engg. I have 13 years of work experience in IT. I have 90+ % in 10th,12th and GPA in BTech is 8.15

Here are some of the observations:
1. MEngg (Master of Engineering) programs are available in most of the universities but the duration is 3 terms (12 Months) without any break. Are these programs eligible for 3 years PGWP?. Some says Co-Op option eligible. What if I dont get a Co-Op then how this should be considered.
2. MEngg with duration mentioned as 1.5 to 2 years. How these program should be considered ?
3. MSC with duration 16 Months (4 Terms) without any scheduled break. What about these?
4. MSC with duration 2 years but can be completed in 16 Months if more credits are taken in each term. How this is considered?

Some other observations:
1. Master with minimum of 30 credits/10 courses (3 credits). Is this eligible for 3 years PGWP
2. Minimum of 9 credits should be taken in each term except last term

Let us have some brainstorming here so that other students can also get the benefit.

Which course did you apply finally? I am also looking for 2 years blended (online and on campus) programs so that i can apply for 3 yr PGWP.

Simmidas

Mar 19, 2019
Which course did you apply finally? I am also looking for 2 years blended (online and on campus) programs so that i can apply for 3 yr PGWP.
I have applied to couple of universities and different variety of programs as I wasn't sure where I would get admission considering my vast experience. The kind of programs I applied to are MEng in CS, Masters program in Data Science, And some Management related . My admits are mainly from management programs.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I have applied to couple of universities and different variety of programs as I wasn't sure where I would get admission considering my vast experience. The kind of programs I applied to are MEng in CS, Masters program in Data Science, And some Management related . My admits are mainly from management programs.
The Master of Management Analytics in Queens University usually takes a more experienced cohort

Reactions: PriyankaPratik

PriyankaPratik

Star Member
Jun 16, 2019
Yeah...I am planning for fall 2021 and have 8 years experience in IT and hence looking for some managerial courses which can guarantee me 3 year PGWP.

Since you have already applied to few universities can you help me out with the course and university details(names) so I can check on them. Also did you got confirmation from universities for duration of PGWP for these courses.

Simmidas

Mar 19, 2019
The Master of Management Analytics in Queens University usually takes a more experienced cohort
This is an excellent program but it was out of my radar because of two reasons. 1. Tution Fees of 80000 Cad for international students 2. One year of PGWP. There are several programs like this available in league universities out of which one I applied for Jan 21 intake is UBC's Master of Engineering Leadership in Dependable software systems.

However I have received an admit from couple of more universities for fall 20 term out of which I have finalized Ryerson university's Master of Engineering Innovation and Entrepreneurship. This is 16 months program with 33000 Cad as tution Fees

Simmidas

Mar 19, 2019
Yeah...I am planning for fall 2021 and have 8 years experience in IT and hence looking for some managerial courses which can guarantee me 3 year PGWP.

Since you have already applied to few universities can you help me out with the course and university details(names) so I can check on them. Also did you got confirmation from universities for duration of PGWP for these courses.
What is your education background?

PriyankaPratik

Star Member
Jun 16, 2019
What is your education background?

Engineering in IT. Have 8 years of experience and looking for management courses which are blended (online and offline) and can grant me 3 years PGWP. I did checked on MBA ( MTI) part time of 24 months from Ryerson but have dropped email to university of PGWP eligibility since this is part time not sure of PGWP.

Simmidas

Mar 19, 2019
Engineering in IT. Have 8 years of experience and looking for management courses which are blended (online and offline) and can grant me 3 years PGWP. I did checked on MBA ( MTI) part time of 24 months from Ryerson but have dropped email to university of PGWP eligibility since this is part time not sure of PGWP.
Here are a few things to be noted.
1. CIC approving online courses for May and Sep term is only a temporary setup and a workaround due to the COVID-19 situation. In general, online/blended programs are not eligible for PGWP. Since you are aiming Fall 21, you should be only looking for programs that are classroom-based if you want a PGWP. Part-time programs are not eligible for PGWP.
2. You can opt for 16 months program (4 terms) and still you will be eligible for 3 years PGWP.
3. Since you have lots of time I would suggest you give GMAT, there are many programs where universities look for GMAT score and most MBA programs require the GMAT score as well.
4. If the MBA is not your intention, there are several management master programs like Engineering Management, Engineering Science, Technology Innovation Management, Engineering Innovation and so on you can try to apply.

PriyankaPratik

Star Member
Jun 16, 2019
Here are a few things to be noted.
1. CIC approving online courses for May and Sep term is only a temporary setup and a workaround due to the COVID-19 situation. In general, online/blended programs are not eligible for PGWP. Since you are aiming Fall 21, you should be only looking for programs that are classroom-based if you want a PGWP. Part-time programs are not eligible for PGWP.
2. You can opt for 16 months program (4 terms) and still you will be eligible for 3 years PGWP.
3. Since you have lots of time I would suggest you give GMAT, there are many programs where universities look for GMAT score and most MBA programs require the GMAT score as well.
4. If the MBA is not your intention, there are several management master programs like Engineering Management, Engineering Science, Technology Innovation Management, Engineering Innovation and so on you can try to apply.

Thanks you for the information.
I did mailed degroote business school. But i have done my MBA(HR) though experience only in Software testing , they rejected saying I already have an MBA.

Now i am worried what course shall i look for-

1. Post graduate diploma from univesrity- either in Management or HR ( not much interested in HR)
Am i over qualified for such course? Are they changes of my study permit being rejected , either course mismatch or any other reason?

2. Post graduation from SPP/SDS colleges?- Is it worth it if my aim is getting and PR and then offcourse got high paid job.

Please guide.

Simmidas

Mar 19, 2019
Thanks you for the information.
I did mailed degroote business school. But i have done my MBA(HR) though experience only in Software testing , they rejected saying I already have an MBA.

Now i am worried what course shall i look for-

1. Post graduate diploma from univesrity- either in Management or HR ( not much interested in HR)
Am i over qualified for such course? Are they changes of my study permit being rejected , either course mismatch or any other reason?

2. Post graduation from SPP/SDS colleges?- Is it worth it if my aim is getting and PR and then offcourse got high paid job.

Please guide.
With 8 years of exp and masters, it seems your profile is over qualified for Diploma or post grad programs. VO may not look it as a career progression and may reject the profile. There are many who opts for 2nd Master. You can choose to do a non MBA Master program. Try to choose a decent university.