+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Professional degree - needed to practice a licensed profession (Dentistry)

philipgeo88

Apr 14, 2018
Dear All,

Question: What does "needed to PRACTICE a licensed profession" mean?
Do we need to have relevant work experience based on their professional degree (Doctor/Laywer must have practice in their field)?

My case: My wife is a Dentist and she got her ECA Canadian Equiv: "five years of professional study in Dentistry"; but she has no work experience as a Dental Practitioner.
She has been working in the field of Insurance and her NOC is not that of her professional degree.

Can we create an EOI with her profile (as Primary applicant) and select an NOC not relevant to her ECA professional degree equivalency?

A big thanks to everyone who reads this post :)

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Dear All,

Question: What does "needed to PRACTICE a licensed profession" mean?
Do we need to have relevant work experience based on their professional degree (Doctor/Laywer must have practice in their field)?

My case: My wife is a Dentist and she got her ECA Canadian Equiv: "five years of professional study in Dentistry"; but she has no work experience as a Dental Practitioner.
She has been working in the field of Insurance and her NOC is not that of her professional degree.

Can we create an EOI with her profile (as Primary applicant) and select an NOC not relevant to her ECA professional degree equivalency?

A big thanks to everyone who reads this post :)
Yes you can. NOC and degree have no correlation unless it's a licensed profession. So for example if your wife had an MBA she can't say she worked as a dentist. But in other professions it doesn't matter. For example there are many doctors who work in marketing and hence they will choose Marketing NOC.

Reactions: philipgeo88

philipgeo88

Apr 14, 2018
Yes you can. NOC and degree have no correlation unless it's a licensed profession. So for example if your wife had an MBA she can't say she worked as a dentist. But in other professions it doesn't matter. For example there are many doctors who work in marketing and hence they will choose Marketing NOC.
Thanks a lot Cansha :)