+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Processing time estimate

AuroraB

Nov 14, 2020
I am a Canadian Citizen who was been in the United States for 18 years. I am applying for an Outland sponsorship for my husband of 10 years who is a dual citizen of Germany and the United States to move to Canada (we have two small children). My husband will keep his current job and work remotely, and I stay home with the kids, and we have a healthy amount of savings to buy a house when we arrive.

Does anyone have a general estimate on how long the process will take once we submit the application?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am a Canadian Citizen who was been in the United States for 18 years. I am applying for an Outland sponsorship for my husband of 10 years who is a dual citizen of Germany and the United States to move to Canada (we have two small children). My husband will keep his current job and work remotely, and I stay home with the kids, and we have a healthy amount of savings to buy a house when we arrive.

Does anyone have a general estimate on how long the process will take once we submit the application?
Approximately 12 months but could be more due to COVID-19.

bian07

May 19, 2017
Nobody can say how long it will take. They state it will take 12 months on their website but in the end every application is different, some get approved faster than that, some way slower. Covid also is adding delays.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
I was just curious as to what peoples recent experiences were with a relatively simple case.
It has been seen many times that the applicant thinks their app is simple and straight forward but in IRCC's eyes it ends up being a totally different situation for any number of possible reasons. Therefore, nobody here can give you any realistic time frame for your app to be processed, add covid into the equation and any guesstimate is even harder.

Reactions: mashulia_26

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

As others above but with long marriage, children and USA residents, will tend to be faster. But that's about all anyone could tell you.

AuroraB

Nov 14, 2020
Armoured, yeah that describes us. We have been married for 10. years, have a healthy savings account, we are USA residents (my husband is a dual citizen between Germany and US) and our kids are Canadian citizens.

When we went through immigration in the US I remember using a site that had a tracker that you could sort by all sorts of different factors to see the timing for other peoples applications, I was just sort of thinking about that wondering how it all will go.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Note that since all but your husband are citizens, you have quite a bit of flexibility to time your move (eg for the schooling etc). Your husband can visit and stay with you for several months at a time.

AuroraB

Nov 14, 2020
Yes, the problem is we are moving to an area of BC where we would be subject to a 20% transfer tax if he doesn't have his residency.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Armoured, yeah that describes us. We have been married for 10. years, have a healthy savings account, we are USA residents (my husband is a dual citizen between Germany and US) and our kids are Canadian citizens.

When we went through immigration in the US I remember using a site that had a tracker that you could sort by all sorts of different factors to see the timing for other peoples applications, I was just sort of thinking about that wondering how it all will go.
Your case isn’t as simple as it appears. After 10 years outside Canada you need to convince IRCC that you are relocating to Canada permanently. You won’t be able to show new job in Canada and your husband giving resignation for his US job. Based on your other post purchasing a home will not be possible until he gets PR. Too many people never relocated so IRCC now requires more than your word.

Reactions: mashulia_26

AuroraB

Nov 14, 2020
Arg. I don't even understand what other people would have as proof when you wait a year for processing. No one quits their job a year early, or gets a new a job a year before you move to a new country..

Here is what we have

- Letters from several friends and family confirming we have discussed moving with them.
- Copies of emails to real estate agents in the city we are relocating to
- A contract with a local Real Estate Agent to sell our current home
- Copies of emails with the school board in the city to which we are moving.
- Letter from the principal at my son's school outlining how we have discussed our move with her

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Arg. I don't even understand what other people would have as proof when you wait a year for processing. No one quits their job a year early, or gets a new a job a year before you move to a new country..

Here is what we have

- Letters from several friends and family confirming we have discussed moving with them.
- Copies of emails to real estate agents in the city we are relocating to
- A contract with a local Real Estate Agent to sell our current home
- Copies of emails with the school board in the city to which we are moving.
- Letter from the principal at my son's school outlining how we have discussed our move with her
Often what happens is IRCCasks for more proof late in the process so you can submit additional proof then if needed. There are various posts where others have been asked for more proof they’ll be relocating.

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
Often what happens is IRCCasks for more proof late in the process so you can submit additional proof then if needed. There are various posts where others have been asked for more proof they’ll be relocating.
Hypothetical question. What if couple has no photos together at all, is it possible to still be approved? What do you think.

AuroraB

Nov 14, 2020
canuck78 - The list that I included was pretty much what I had compiled from going through previous posts, but I will take another search through.

So much of the "additional info" requests were in regards to proving the relationship between the sponser and applicant, and that won't be an issue since we have been married 10 years, and have two kids :)

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
If I could get a sworn Affidavit from Pope Francis, would that help satisfy Visa officer?

Last edited: