+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Processing of GAR's and PSR's upon arrival in Canada

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
I am part of a group (under a Sponsorship Agreement Holder) who are sponsoring two families from Syria. We have received the good news that both families are arriving within the next week, albeit on different days. We don't yet have the exact itinerary for the second family (CIC sure doesn't give much notice), although we have established that the first family arrives in Toronto on Wednesday. What has not been explained is why the first family is staying in Montreal for two nights (they leave Beirut and also arrive in Montreal on Monday--tomorrow). One night I could understand, as there may not be a connecting flight available, but why two nights? I am wondering if CBSA does all the processing (giving out PR and IFH documents, etc) at the original POE (Montreal) so that when they finally get to Toronto they won't have to go through that again? We are a two-hour drive from Toronto and we thought if the processing is done at Pearson it will take at least a couple of hours, and so it may not be necessary to be at the airport at the scheduled arrival time, just to end up waiting around. But if the processing is indeed done beforehand in Montreal, we would of course want to be at Pearson on time. Hopefully this all goes smoothly, as I recently heard a story of another private sponsor who was given wrong information about arrival times and locations, un-helpful staff at Pearson, and ended up having to pay for overnight accommodations until things got straightened out next morning.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Yelsew said:
I am part of a group (under a Sponsorship Agreement Holder) who are sponsoring two families from Syria. We have received the good news that both families are arriving within the next week, albeit on different days. We don't yet have the exact itinerary for the second family (CIC sure doesn't give much notice), although we have established that the first family arrives in Toronto on Wednesday. What has not been explained is why the first family is staying in Montreal for two nights (they leave Beirut and also arrive in Montreal on Monday--tomorrow). One night I could understand, as there may not be a connecting flight available, but why two nights? I am wondering if CBSA does all the processing (giving out PR and IFH documents, etc) at the original POE (Montreal) so that when they finally get to Toronto they won't have to go through that again? We are a two-hour drive from Toronto and we thought if the processing is done at Pearson it will take at least a couple of hours, and so it may not be necessary to be at the airport at the scheduled arrival time, just to end up waiting around. But if the processing is indeed done beforehand in Montreal, we would of course want to be at Pearson on time. Hopefully this all goes smoothly, as I recently heard a story of another private sponsor who was given wrong information about arrival times and locations, un-helpful staff at Pearson, and ended up having to pay for overnight accommodations until things got straightened out next morning.
1. All the documents will be completed at Montreal, Montreal to Toronto is a domestic flight, so all they have to do is pick up there luggage, from the belt.