Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-2010
Has anybody gone through the process of sponsoring their orphan niece/nephew?

I need to know what's involved and would greatly appreciate your input.

The part I'm mainly concerned about is what happens after submitting the Application for Permanent Residence.

kenyatta

Star Member
May 8, 2011
before applying u have to either adopt ur niece/nephew and the only way u can sponsor them is if u dont have anyone landed relative here eg. husband parents sisters/brothers niece or hephew who can be sponsor as a member of the family class u also have to meet the lico and a steady income.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

kenyatta said:
before applying u have to either adopt ur niece/nephew and the only way u can sponsor them is if u dont have anyone landed relative here eg. husband parents sisters/brothers niece or hephew who can be sponsor as a member of the family class u also have to meet the lico and a steady income.
Sorry you are wrong, you can sponsor nieces and nephews under the age of 18 who are orphaned. The application can be really quick or it can be slow if there is no evidence of the death of the parents. Stating that one can't be found will really slow the application down. As they are under 18 there is no security check/criminal records check which helps in the processing.

randomcan

Jun 11, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-2010
Thank you for your response. Does this mean we are not required to adopt them before we can sponsor them, as we are already related by blood?
PMM said:
Hi

Sorry you are wrong, you can sponsor nieces and nephews under the age of 18 who are orphaned. The application can be really quick or it can be slow if there is no evidence of the death of the parents. Stating that one can't be found will really slow the application down. As they are under 18 there is no security check/criminal records check which helps in the processing.

kenyatta

Star Member
May 8, 2011
Re: investment income

can anyone tell me if they have used their rrsp investment to make up their available income to sponsor parents i was not reported to cra because its tax free income and do not need to be declared until i wirhdraw any money

mymails838

Oct 4, 2012
Hi randomcan,

Did you able to sponsor your niece/nephew? What documents did you provide as part of the application?

Would you mine pm me at mymails838@gmail.com. I am thinking of sponsoring my niece/nephew from the same country as you too so it would be really helpful if you could provide me with some info.

Thanks

randomcan

Jun 11, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-2010
mymails838 said:
Hi randomcan,

Did you able to sponsor your niece/nephew? What documents did you provide as part of the application?

Would you mine pm me at mymails838 @ gmail.com. I am thinking of sponsoring my niece/nephew from the same country as you too so it would be really helpful if you could provide me with some info.

Thanks
Hi mymails,

I applied for my parents to sponsor their nieces.

Here's the status of my parents application...

Application to Sponsor and Undertaking
Message from Immigration Canada:

We received your application to sponsor XXXX on September 8, 2010.

We started processing your application on October 7, 2010.

We sent you a letter on October 7, 2010 about the decision on your application. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

(APPROVED)

After the approval from Canadian immigration officials for sponsorship, they sent the Application for Permanent Residence kit for each of my cousins. We traveled to Cambodia and had my cousins complete the Application for Permanent Residence. We had Police Clearance, Family background documents, Certificates confirming death of their parents, Photos, Telephone Records, and Record of Money Transfers. The Application for Permanent Residence kit has a checklist of items you need to submit. (I can't remember it all and don't have a copy of the documents with me).

After we submitted the application, we received this message:

We received XXXXX application for permanent residence on December 29, 2010.

In the Spring or early summer they mailed a package to my parents outlining the steps they need to take in order to complete the Application for Permanent Residence for my cousins. They had indicated that for adoption we would have to adopt them from an adoption agency in Cambodia. (Accidentally checked the "TO BE ADOPTED" in the original application). I wrote a letter on my parents behalf indicating that the persons we are sponsoring are related to us by blood and marriage and that they are currently living with other relatives who are acting as temporary caregivers in the meantime. I clarified that the "TO BE ADOPTED" was not meant to be checked because they are our relatives. Mailed the statement out in April or June, 2011.

And now still waiting for the rest of the process. I take it that no word so far is good news because I checked the processing time for Permanent Residence application and it's about 54 months.

randomcan

Jun 11, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-2010
Right now I am in the process of applying for a Temporary Resident Visa for my cousins while they wait for their Permanent Resident Application to process.

randomcan

Jun 11, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-2010
I've been contacting the Canadian Visa office in Singapore about my parents' sponsorship application but never receive any response. I took the matter to my parents MP (Member of Parliament) and they looked into the case for us. The office in Singapore finally responded to the MP and here's the information that we received:

There was an error in the initial sponsorship application because it had been marked as a Child Adoption rather than Orphan Nieces. The Case processing centre in Mississauga recently mailed a letter to my parents to inform them that they are re-evaluating the sponsorship application and for us to send proof that their nieces are orphaned. My sister is forwarding the letter to me so I can mail out the proof. We got a copy of their nieces' parents' death certificate when we visited them and I will be sending that back to Mississauga.

The letter from the CPC in Mississauga states that their Niece's application for PR is in the final stages so once we provide the proof that they are orphaned it shouldn't be much longer before they are here in Canada.

randomcan

Jun 11, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-2010
kenyatta said:
Hi randomcan glad to hear some process can u kepp us up to date on wats going on
Hi Kenyatta,

We heard back from CPC-Mississauga that my parents continue to be eligible to sponsor and now it is going through the PR application once more. Haven't heard anything about the status of the PR application so I recently contacted our local MP's office once more. The MP's office is going to get back to me later this week to confirm the status of the application.

Peacorly

May 27, 2015
Hi guys did you happed to sponsor your relstives successfully as an orphaned? If so can you walk me through this i need your help to start thank you