+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Process and requirements after receiving PPR

dphotawala

Star Member
Nov 16, 2018
My wife and I are in the final stage of our PR process. We applied through Express Entry under FSW category. And now that we are prepping up for the next phase of our life, we request your help with setting up expectations about Canada immigration. Can someone please provide details on the below listed items?

1. How long does VFS takes to stamp and return passport once they receive it? Fyi, I will be getting mine done in India while my wife will be getting her's done in United States.
2. What documents do we need to carry with us for initial processing in Canada?
3. Do I and my wife need to be processed together during the initial processing? Given that we both will have different origination point for our flight, this is a very crucial question for us.
4. How long does does it take for the immigration officer to process us during initial entry?
5. How and when do we receive the PR status?
6. Do I get a PR card right after receiving the PR status or do I need to apply for it? How long does it take?
7. At what point can I start applying for work authorization? How long does it take?

Given that we don't any friends or family migrated to Canada, we don't have anyone on first hand to ask these questions to. That said, we would really appreciate if someone can please guide us. We are hoping that several members of this website have already gone through this process - Could you please share your own experience?

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
My wife and I are in the final stage of our PR process. We applied through Express Entry under FSW category. And now that we are prepping up for the next phase of our life, we request your help with setting up expectations about Canada immigration. Can someone please provide details on the below listed items?

1. How long does VFS takes to stamp and return passport once they receive it? Fyi, I will be getting mine done in India while my wife will be getting her's done in United States.
2. What documents do we need to carry with us for initial processing in Canada?
3. Do I and my wife need to be processed together during the initial processing? Given that we both will have different origination point for our flight, this is a very crucial question for us.
4. How long does does it take for the immigration officer to process us during initial entry?
5. How and when do we receive the PR status?
6. Do I get a PR card right after receiving the PR status or do I need to apply for it? How long does it take?
7. At what point can I start applying for work authorization? How long does it take?

Given that we don't any friends or family migrated to Canada, we don't have anyone on first hand to ask these questions to. That said, we would really appreciate if someone can please guide us. We are hoping that several members of this website have already gone through this process - Could you please share your own experience?
1. I don't know. But I think it should not be longer than 2 weeks. Sometimes PPR is sent only to the principal applicant and you may need to contact them again to make sure separate requests are sent to each of you (owing to different country of residence).
2. COPR and immigrant Visa (you will receive this after PPR). List of accompanying goods and list of goods to follow.
3. Principal applicant has to land first. Dependents can land with them or later.
4. A couple hours or so depending upon the rush.
5. After landing.
6. You will get it within a couple of months after landing. Application is made at the time of landing (it is automatic)
7. No separate work authorization is needed. Your PR status allows you to work in Canada.

Lots of people have shared their experiences here. Just read the threads.

dphotawala

Star Member
Nov 16, 2018
1. I don't know. But I think it should not be longer than 2 weeks. Sometimes PPR is sent only to the principal applicant and you may need to contact them again to make sure separate requests are sent to each of you (owing to different country of residence).
2. COPR and immigrant Visa (you will receive this after PPR). List of accompanying goods and list of goods to follow.
3. Principal applicant has to land first. Dependents can land with them or later.
4. A couple hours or so depending upon the rush.
5. After landing.
6. You will get it within a couple of months after landing. Application is made at the time of landing (it is automatic)
7. No separate work authorization is needed. Your PR status allows you to work in Canada.

Lots of people have shared their experiences here. Just read the threads.
1. Are you sure that we don't have to land together? I ask this because several post that I read in past mentioned that dependent would need the primary applicant during the initial processing; without the primary applicant, immigration officer wouldn't process the PR status of the dependent
2. Does Canada have anything similar to SSN (like United States)? If so, can it be applied for while awaiting for PR card (that ones that you mentioned could take couple of months)? I am guessing that without an SSN card, employers would not hire me.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
1. Yes. The letter accompanying COPR will explain this.
2. They have SIN. You can apply at a Service Canada office after landing and receive it immediately.