+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Procedure to find a doc for pregnant wife after OHIP coverage starts

gagan99

Sep 13, 2012
Hi all,

My wife is 8 months pregnant right now and our OHIP coverage will start next week. She has not seen any doctor since last 3 months as we had got all the tests done in india before coming.Can someone tell me what procedure will we have to follow now . Will any doctor take her as a patient at such late stage?
Shall we go to a family doctor first or a gynaec or straight to the hospital. Her ultrasound will be due in about a week or so.Really confused . Please help

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would go to retain a family doctor first, hoping he/she will refer some good obstetrics, gynecology or pediatric doctor.

gagan99

Sep 13, 2012
Thank you steaky for your reply.I have heard that it takes months for an opening to get a family doctor. We dont have that time. Would you please explain the procedure of acquiring a family doctor? I'll be really thankful.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, it depends on the availability. Before we retain our current family doctor, we look for word of mouth from friends & relatives, but then the suggested doctors were all full and only accepting waiting list. We signed up a few. Finally we retain one that nobody knows which we found from the early days we arrive in this new land. :)

The doctor clinic is situate near to a grocery shop, banks and restaurants. This is one of the places we do our grocery shopping and banking. Sometimes, some clinics will display signs "Accepting new patients". At others, like my family doctor, you have to actually walk-in and ask the receptionist whether they are accepting new patients. If so, you might need to arrange an appointment for seeing the doctor and show your health cards.

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You could try going to a walk-in clinic and they will be able to refer you to the hospital or a doctor that could take care of her.

danko8

Nov 16, 2012
I agree, this is what my wife and I did, we went to a walk-in clinic and they referred us to an OBGY within a week, as well they booked our appointment with the OBGY.

gagan99

Sep 13, 2012
thank you everybody,
we went to a prenatal clinic in our local hospital and met a nurse there.She was shocked to hear that we did not have a doctor so late in our pregnancy. She immediately referred us to an Ob gyn and ordered some blood tests. We had got most of the tests done in India and she was happy to see the reports. We have the ob-gyn appointment tomorrow. hope everything goes well....:)