+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Procedure to add spouse after received COPR

Jeevitha03

Oct 18, 2018
My COPR will expire by next year June. Planning to marry by december this year or January next year...
Hi @monsters,
Did you travel alone or added your spouse to your application after getting married.
Can you pls share your experience as I'm traveling in the same boat as you.

Jul 11, 2022
Guys,

Can anyone help me with my issue? I got my Copr stamped very recently. During this process, I got married last month. When I tried to update my marital status using a webform. I got the following response

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We verified the information you provided and can confirm that it is not necessary to provide additional documentation if you do not currently have an application in process with IRCC.

Since a final decision was already made on your application, the information you provided will not be added to your file.

If applicable, we invite you to include this information when you submit a new application.

This led me to a couple of questions:

1) Can I do a soft landing without any issues as I have already updated IRCC with my marital status?

2) Can I sponsor my spouse as soon as I move to Canada?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,
southwindsor_ct

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
Guys,

Can anyone help me with my issue? I got my Copr stamped very recently. During this process, I got married last month. When I tried to update my marital status using a webform. I got the following response

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We verified the information you provided and can confirm that it is not necessary to provide additional documentation if you do not currently have an application in process with IRCC.

Since a final decision was already made on your application, the information you provided will not be added to your file.

If applicable, we invite you to include this information when you submit a new application.

This led me to a couple of questions:

1) Can I do a soft landing without any issues as I have already updated IRCC with my marital status?

2) Can I sponsor my spouse as soon as I move to Canada?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,
southwindsor_ct
Respond about your marital status change to the email id mentioned in your ready for visa email. Webform takes forever.

1. No. You cannot do that. Its misinterpretation.
2. You can but are you ready to wait for an year to bring her to Canada. If you add her now, you are looking at 3 to 4months of processing time.

Reactions: scylla
Jul 11, 2022
Respond about your marital status change to the email id mentioned in your ready for visa email. Webform takes forever.

1. No. You cannot do that. Its misinterpretation.
2. You can but are you ready to wait for an year to bring her to Canada. If you add her now, you are looking at 3 to 4months of processing time.
I appreciate your response. I have a question though. If they said they cannot add my information to my application, how can I upload the documentation to add my spouse to add to my Copr? I am still confused. I was expecting them to ask me to return the Copr.

Reactions: RSub

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
I appreciate your response. I have a question though. If they said they cannot add my information to my application, how can I upload the documentation to add my spouse to add to my Copr? I am still confused. I was expecting them to ask me to return the Copr.
You have to wait. You can choose to ignore and do soft landing. Rest assured that will result in losing your PR. I'd suggest you to send an email to the email id that is mentioned in your Ready For Visa email. Web forms will take forever and that is why you are seeing a delay.

Jul 11, 2022
You have to wait. You can choose to ignore and do soft landing. Rest assured that will result in losing your PR. I'd suggest you to send an email to the email id that is mentioned in your Ready For Visa email. Web forms will take forever and that is why you are seeing a delay.
Thank you. I have replied to the same email address. Let me see. Fingers Crossed.

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
Thank you. I have replied to the same email address. Let me see. Fingers Crossed.
You will get an response soon. Don't worry about it. Please update us when you receive the response so that it is useful for others as well.

Reactions: southwindsor_ct

yadwinder998

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
any questions regarding getting married after COPR & adding spouse to ongoing PR application, I can help. went through same process in 2019, got approved.

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
any questions regarding getting married after COPR & adding spouse to ongoing PR application, I can help. went through same process in 2019, got approved.
Can you share your timeline. That would be of great help to understand the various steps and times.