Procedural fairness, letter i need help please

mohibulah

Star Member
Jan 5, 2016
St.john.d
Category........
  • I need help please. What i should do now

• Date: 19/07/19

This refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada as a member of the Family
    Class.
    I have reviewed your application and all of the documents you submitted in support of it. It
    appears that you may not meet the requirements for immigration to Canada.

I have determined that you may not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee
    Protection Act because you do not meet the sections of the Acts and Regulations below.

Subsection 12(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act states that a foreign
    national may be selected as a member of the family class on the basis of their relationship as
    the spouse, common-law partner, child, parent or other prescribed family member of a
    Canadian citizen or permanent resident.

Subsection 4(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations states that for the
    purposes of these Regulations, a foreign national shall not be considered a spouse, a common-
    law partner or a conjugal partner of a person if the marriage, common-law partnership or
    conjugal partnership
    (a) was entered into primarily for the purpose of acquiring any status or privilege under
    the Act; or
    (b) is not genuine.

Subsection 117(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations states that a
    foreign national is a member of the family class if, with respect to a sponsor, the foreign national
    is
    (a) the sponsor's spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner

Subsection 117(9) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations states a foreign
    national shall not be considered a member of the family class by virtue of their relationship to a
    sponsor if
    (c) the foreign national is the sponsor's spouse and
    http://www.unitedkingdom.gc.ca/
    http://www.royaume-uni.gc.ca/

• Immigration and Medical Services Division | Section des services d’immigration et des services médicaux
    High Commission of Canada | Haut-commissariat du Canada
    Canada House | La Maison du Canada
    Trafalgar Square
    London, UK SW1Y 5BJ

www.UnitedKingdom.gc.ca / www.Royaume-Uni.gc.ca

2/3
    (i) the sponsor or the foreign national was, at the time of their marriage, the spouse
    of another person, or
    (d) subject to subsection (10), the sponsor previously made an application for permanent
    residence and became a permanent resident and, at the time of that application, the
    foreign national was a non-accompanying family member of the sponsor and was not
    examined.

I have fully reviewed your application, including the additional information you provided to us in
    October 2018. Upon review of your application, I have some concerns and would like to provide
    you the opportunity to respond.

1) At the time of his application for permanent residence to Canada in 2011, your sponsor
    indicated that he had previously been married and divorced. On the Document Checklist (form
    IMM5533) submitted with your current application, your sponsor answered “no” to the following
    question: Have you (the sponsor) ever been previously married.

In October 2018 you were advised of this concern. In response, your sponsor indicated that he
    was never previously married and that you are the only woman partner he has had in his life. He
    also indicated that perhaps a mistake was made when he was filling out the immigration forms.

The information regarding his previous marriage and divorce was not obtained via a form but
    rather at this interview for permanent residence. The following excerpt from the interview notes
    indicates that he was asked “Is this your first and only marriage?” and the interviewer noted the
    following response from him “Was married; got divorced [ … ] Has been divorced approximately
    1.5 years ago. He divorced his wife [ … ] Ex-wife: [ … ], was approximately 22. Married 3 years
    - does not know full DOB. Prior to divorce, was living with Subject's family; current whereabouts
    unknown.”

Based on the above notes from his interview, at this time, I have concerns that the sponsor may
    have previously been married and divorced. Should this be true, in absence of a divorce
    certificate, I have concerns that you may be excluded as a member of the family class as per
    R117(9)(c)(i). As such, your application for permanent residence could be refused.

Please provide an explanation for your sponsor’s statement at interview, and the information he
    has provided on the current application.

2) On your previous application for permanent residence, you had submitted an Afghan
    marriage booklet issued in 2013 which indicated that your marriage took place in 2009. On your
    current application for permanent residence, you have submitted an Afghan marriage booklet
    issued in 2018 which indicates that you marriage took place in 2014.

The discrepancies between the different documents leads me to have concerns regarding their
    authenticity and validity. As such, I have concerns regarding the validity of your marriage. If the
    marriage is not valid, you may not be considered to be a member of the family class and your
    application for permanent residence may be refused.

http://www.royaume-uni.gc.ca/

• Immigration and Medical Services Division | Section des services d’immigration et des services médicaux
    High Commission of Canada | Haut-commissariat du Canada
    Canada House | La Maison du Canada
    Trafalgar Square
    London, UK SW1Y 5BJ

www.UnitedKingdom.gc.ca / www.Royaume-Uni.gc.ca

3/3
    Please provide an explanation for why you obtained two different Afghan marriage booklets, one
    in 2013 and a second in 2018, and why the information they contain differs.

3) If you and the sponsor were indeed married in 2009, prior to the sponsor’s immigration
    to Canada, you may be excluded as per R117(9)(d) as he had not declared your marriage and
    you were not examined as a dependent. As such, your application could be refused.

4) You have also provided limited evidence to satisfy me that your marriage is genuine.
    The marriage photos you have provided do not show many guests in attendance, nor do they
    indicate that arosi was celebrated. The fact that these traditions were not followed leads me to
    have concerns regarding the bonafides of your marriage. It also appears that you and you
    sponsor have spent limited time together. While you provided proof of his travel to Afghanistan
    in July 2018, you did not any evidence that you spent time together during his stay. These
    elements lead me to have concerns with whether your marriage is genuine or was entered into
    primarily for the purposes of facilitating your immigration to Canada. Please note, if your
    relationship is not considered to be genuine and instead entered into primarily to gain entry to
    Canada, you would no longer be considered a member of the family class and your application
    could be refused.

5) Lastly, based on the previously outlined inconsistencies, I have concerns that you may
    have misrepresented your sponsor’s previous marital history on your application as you did not
    disclose his previous marriage and divorce, and that you may have misrepresented your true
    date of marriage as you have provided two Afhgan marriage booklets with differing information.
    This could have led to an error in the application of the law as it relates to the validity of your
    current marriage. Please note that, if you are found to have misrepresented a part of your
    application for permanent residence in Canada which could have led to an error in the
    administration of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, then you will not be permitted to
    apply for any kind of temporary or permanent residence visa for Canada for 5 years.

Please use this opportunity to address my concerns and indicate any further information you
    would like to be considered in respect of your application.

Subsection 11(1) of the Act states that the visa or document shall be issued if, following an
    examination, the officer is satisfied that the foreign national is not inadmissible and meets the
    requirements of this Act. It appears that you do not meet the requirements of the Act for the
    reasons set out above.
    Documents sent as email attachments cannot exceed 5 MB in size. Any attachment larger than
    5MB must be divided into smaller separate attachments.
    If you choose not to respond with additional information within 30 days, I will make my decision
    based on the information before me, which may result in the refusal of your application.
    Sincerely,

Migration Officer
    The Family Reunification Unit, IRCC London

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
That's a very specific letter.

Are the officers claims true? If yes, then you can't really do anything and you should expect a refusal and probably a ban for misrepresentation.

Is the officer incorrect? If so, how? He's given you very specific reasons he thinks your marriage is fake/you aren't a member of the family class.

What's the truth here?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Some of these issues were brought up in 2018. Have you been dealing with a lawyer and have you replied to the previous concerns?

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
What i should now
Get a really good immigration lawyer and get the response in asap. Sounds like its not very genuine and lies were told based on officers comments

Radipol

Star Member
Oct 4, 2018
I am not sure how the best of immigration lawyers can help as well if the officer is right. There seems to be misrepresentation on multiple occasions. Consult a lawyer and if any or all of what the officer has pointed out is true then just come clean. It maybe the best for your future prospects.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
  • 1) At the time of his application for permanent residence to Canada in 2011, your sponsor
    indicated that he had previously been married and divorced. On the Document Checklist (form
    IMM5533) submitted with your current application, your sponsor answered “no” to the following
    question: Have you (the sponsor) ever been previously married.

In October 2018 you were advised of this concern. In response, your sponsor indicated that he
    was never previously married and that you are the only woman partner he has had in his life. He
    also indicated that perhaps a mistake was made when he was filling out the immigration forms.

The information regarding his previous marriage and divorce was not obtained via a form but
    rather at this interview for permanent residence. The following excerpt from the interview notes
    indicates that he was asked “Is this your first and only marriage?” and the interviewer noted the
    following response from him “Was married; got divorced [ … ] Has been divorced approximately
    1.5 years ago. He divorced his wife [ … ] Ex-wife: [ … ], was approximately 22. Married 3 years
    - does not know full DOB. Prior to divorce, was living with Subject's family; current whereabouts
    unknown.”

Based on the above notes from his interview, at this time, I have concerns that the sponsor may
    have previously been married and divorced. Should this be true, in absence of a divorce
    certificate, I have concerns that you may be excluded as a member of the family class as per
    R117(9)(c)(i). As such, your application for permanent residence could be refused.

Please provide an explanation for your sponsor’s statement at interview, and the information he
    has provided on the current application.
Your sponsor stated in his PR app that he was divorced and then confirmed that during his interview. He even gave his ex-wife's name and some personal details. On the balance of probabilities, it's pretty clear that he lied in your PR app.

• 2) On your previous application for permanent residence, you had submitted an Afghan
    marriage booklet issued in 2013 which indicated that your marriage took place in 2009. On your
    current application for permanent residence, you have submitted an Afghan marriage booklet
    issued in 2018 which indicates that you marriage took place in 2014.

The discrepancies between the different documents leads me to have concerns regarding their
    authenticity and validity. As such, I have concerns regarding the validity of your marriage. If the
    marriage is not valid, you may not be considered to be a member of the family class and your
    application for permanent residence may be refused.

Please provide an explanation for why you obtained two different Afghan marriage booklets, one
    in 2013 and a second in 2018, and why the information they contain differs.
  • 3) If you and the sponsor were indeed married in 2009, prior to the sponsor’s immigration
    to Canada, you may be excluded as per R117(9)(d) as he had not declared your marriage and
    you were not examined as a dependent. As such, your application could be refused.
You submitted false documents. Either you married in 2009 or you married in 2014. Either way, you both committed misrepresentation.

• 4) You have also provided limited evidence to satisfy me that your marriage is genuine.
    The marriage photos you have provided do not show many guests in attendance, nor do they
    indicate that arosi was celebrated. The fact that these traditions were not followed leads me to
    have concerns regarding the bonafides of your marriage. It also appears that you and you
    sponsor have spent limited time together. While you provided proof of his travel to Afghanistan
    in July 2018, you did not any evidence that you spent time together during his stay. These
    elements lead me to have concerns with whether your marriage is genuine or was entered into
    primarily for the purposes of facilitating your immigration to Canada. Please note, if your
    relationship is not considered to be genuine and instead entered into primarily to gain entry to
    Canada, you would no longer be considered a member of the family class and your application
    could be refused.
Pretty self-explanatory. Your marriage didn't follow cultural norms and you have spent a limited amount of time together.

The others have advised a lawyer. Honestly, I would advise that you just give it up now. There is very clear immigration fraud happening and I see absolutely no way for you to overcome it.

mohibulah

Star Member
Jan 5, 2016
St.john.d
Category........
Should I get a lawyer? Or a lawyer can.t help also
But again I never married before 2009 it was an old application which was refused and I apply again it will cost me 5000. But it okay I will pay
If he can help

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
But again I never married before 2009 it was an old application which was refused and I apply again it will cost me 5000. But it okay I will pay
If he can help
Seriously, what do you expect a lawyer to do? The sponsor lied about being divorced. You submitted false marriage documents. Immigration fraud is not something that a lawyer can magically explain or make disappear.

Manpreetkmannu

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
If he can help
You still got time. You can consult an immigration lawyer, you don’t even have to hire someone and pay thousands bucks. Consultation can give you a clear perspective on what could happen and what to do (if anything could be done or not).
Consultation is not that expensive it may cost you 200 to 300 (if you go to the best one).

VO could have refused you on the basis of the grounds he explained but instead Officer is giving you the opportunity to respond means the burden of proof is on you now. And you must use this opportunity if you think you can satisfy officer.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You still got time. You can consult an immigration lawyer, you don’t even have to hire someone and pay thousands bucks. Consultation can give you a clear perspective on what could happen and what to do (if anything could be done or not).
Consultation is not that expensive it may cost you 200 to 300 (if you go to the best one).

VO could have refused you on the basis of the grounds he explained but instead Officer is giving you the opportunity to respond means the burden of proof is on you now. And you must use this opportunity if you think you can satisfy officer.
The VO is legally required to give the OP the opportunity to respond. They did not issue the PF letter because they think that OP will actually be able to address the issues.

Reactions: lion.com

mohibulah

Star Member
Jan 5, 2016
St.john.d
Category........
I am the sponsor this second time they send me the same letter but again I used to work with the Canadian army back in Afghanistan so on time they did everything how I should lie in the farm if I was married on time it will be so easy to sponsor my wife. and which people they interview with me they made mistakes

Afgboy_2017

Star Member
Sep 12, 2017
I am the sponsor this second time they send me the same letter but again I used to work with the Canadian army back in Afghanistan so on time they did everything how I should lie in the farm if I was married on time it will be so easy to sponsor my wife. and which people they interview with me they made mistakes
Hey Mohib
Sorry to hear that you have to go thru this. I am just going to give you my advice. You can talk to a lawyer to get legal advice. I think you should be honest with CIC about your misrepresentation and serve the five year ban. Then, you can sponsor your spouse. You can move to Afghanistan or spend time between Canada and Afghanistan over the five years. I think your marriage is guinuine but you probably got bad advice from other Afghans and misrepresented. Here are the problems I see and some advice:
1. You have indicated that you were previously married and divorced when you got PR. Then you indicated that this is your first marriage when sponsoring your wife. You said the Canadian army filled your forms BUT CIC is saying that they are looking at your record in interview where you said you were married and divorced and not the forms the Canadian army helped you filled. They gave the name of your spouse. If it is the same one as now. You may not be able to sponsor her? If it was a different spouse then you need to get the divorce certificate with the correct date. Serve your 5 year ban and reapply.

2. You need to tell the truth to CIC about the two marriage booklets. Make a marriage booklet with correct date of marriage.

3. Wedding photos: I know this is hard as CIC doesn’t understand how some places in Afghanistan are conservative and you cannot take pictures of other women unless they are your closest relatives. Your marriage might be guinine but given the married/divorced and single situation, and the two marriage booklets, CIC is suspecting your marriage is fraud even though it might be a guinine marriage.

4. Time spent together: I know how expensive it is to travel to Afghanistan and how hard it is to keep a job in Canada and support your family. I think you need to spend more time with your wife in Afghanistan this time. Instead of paying a lawyer 5000 dollars. You can find one that will help you have a better chance for next time by answering writing a letter for your current situation. You can use that money and spend a lot more time with your wife. Serve your misrepresentation of 5 years and then reapply for your spouse. I know it is hard financially and depending on where you live in Afghanistan, the security situation can be a nightmare. CIC does not understand the security situation in Afghanistan or does not give any weight. Any given that you worked with Canadian army you are really in a lot more danger when you visit Afghanistan.

This is my advice. You can always talk to a lawyer and get legal advice. Make sure you don’t get scammed by a lawyer telling you he can get your spouse a PR when he cannot as your case is quite complicated. Other members on this forum are welcome to improve on my response or point out any deficiency.
I wish you the best Mohib.

Reactions: scylla