+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Problems of moving to another country with husband while applying for PR?

sabloom13

Feb 5, 2020
My Lebanese husband and I got married on Jan 1, 2020. He is a Lebanese citizen and is on a work visa in the US as he originally came to the US several years back as a student. I am a Canadian citizen and work currently in Toronto. As he is not authorized to work in Canada yet, I planned to quit my job and live with him in Houston where he just got a job offer relating to his engineering PHD. It's a contract position if that makes a difference to this. I really want to move down with him as we miss each other so much, but I'm not sure if its concerning for me the citizen to be leaving the country to live with my husband in a country where he only has a visa? I'm going down as a dependent on his visa, so as per US law I can't work...I might end up doing school part time there as that would be my only option.
Wondering if any of these details could cause issues?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
As long as you disclose your address to IRCC, as you're a citizen, it's fine. You may need to include details in the application about your plans to return to Canada.

sabloom13

Feb 5, 2020
As long as you disclose your address to IRCC, as you're a citizen, it's fine. You may need to include details in the application about your plans to return to Canada.
The details about our plans to return to Canada would be vague though as he can't get a Canadian job offer until he has his PR, so it would simply state something like "We plan to move to Canada once he gets a job offer from Canada" - is that sufficient?

Thank you!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
The details about our plans to return to Canada would be vague though as he can't get a Canadian job offer until he has his PR, so it would simply state something like "We plan to move to Canada once he gets a job offer from Canada" - is that sufficient?

Thank you!
Have you already applied?

That's not sufficient proof of intent to return to Canada at all. You'd need a lot more than that. You can search the forum for proof of intent to return and see what others have provided.

This is mandatory if you apply while you are outside Canada.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
As k.h.p. mentioned, "vague" is not going to cut it. They want a fairly detailed timeline. They want to see that both of you will move when PR comes through, regardless of if he has a job lined up or not. The best thing would be for you to submit a plan that has you looking for a job when his PR is close to completion and a place to live lined up around the same time.