+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Problems obtaining police certificate

owen88

May 8, 2015
Hi there, I'm in a very tricky situation. I was asked on April 21st to provide a Guatemalan police check. I only spent 2 months there in 2012 and, as far as I've seen (even in the request email itself), the rule is that a PCC is required for countries where you've spent 6 months or more.

The only way of obtaining a PCC for Guatemala is in person, in Guatemala City. It would be impossible for me, both practically and financially, to travel there right now and, even if I could, I would need to go to 2 different offices in Guatemala City- one of the most dangerous cities in the world!- and would be very unlikely to be able to communicate sufficiently in Spanish to obtain the certificates.

I asked CIC over the phone whether the request was made in error and the call centre operator said it didn't look like a mistake as it is noted on our application that it has been requested but that there's a possibility that they could have thought we were there for more than 6 months (though I think this is unlikely). I have tried emailing to ask for a more definite answer but, unsurprisingly considering this is CIC we're talking about, have had no response.

I saw that it says on the CIC website that says, "If you are not able to get a police certificate from a country because you are a refugee from that country or for any other reason, please explain the reasons in writing." I am going to try this and hope that my reasons are good enough!

Has anyone ever successfully been exempt from producing a certificate based on it being impossible to obtain it???

Has anyone been given an extension on the amount of time given to produce a police certificate???

Does anyone know of any way of getting a Guatemalan police certificate without travelling to Guatemala???

Would really appreciate any advice anyone can offer!

corsa17d

Sep 3, 2014
Hi.I am sorry to hear about your situation. I am in the same boat.I am not sure if this is a new trick cic have request additional ppc from countries the applicant did NOT spend 6 consecutive months. I was traveling Uganda for 4 months and cic request that ppc.

I am sorry I am not much of any help.regards the ppc cic need.I think I will write a letter and explain my case and also keep on phoning and hope to get through to the right person. What confuse me is.I did call cic and the lady told me if I did not spend 6 consecutive months I dont need to provide a ppc.why cic ask me on e mail to provide it.I dont know.

Best of luck

tinacraigg

Nov 16, 2013
nova scotia, canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Jan 22, 2016
owen88 said:
Hi there, I'm in a very tricky situation. I was asked on April 21st to provide a Guatemalan police check. I only spent 2 months there in 2012 and, as far as I've seen (even in the request email itself), the rule is that a PCC is required for countries where you've spent 6 months or more.

The only way of obtaining a PCC for Guatemala is in person, in Guatemala City. It would be impossible for me, both practically and financially, to travel there right now and, even if I could, I would need to go to 2 different offices in Guatemala City- one of the most dangerous cities in the world!- and would be very unlikely to be able to communicate sufficiently in Spanish to obtain the certificates.

I asked CIC over the phone whether the request was made in error and the call centre operator said it didn't look like a mistake as it is noted on our application that it has been requested but that there's a possibility that they could have thought we were there for more than 6 months (though I think this is unlikely). I have tried emailing to ask for a more definite answer but, unsurprisingly considering this is CIC we're talking about, have had no response.

I saw that it says on the CIC website that says, "If you are not able to get a police certificate from a country because you are a refugee from that country or for any other reason, please explain the reasons in writing." I am going to try this and hope that my reasons are good enough!

Has anyone ever successfully been exempt from producing a certificate based on it being impossible to obtain it???

Has anyone been given an extension on the amount of time given to produce a police certificate???

Does anyone know of any way of getting a Guatemalan police certificate without travelling to Guatemala???

Would really appreciate any advice anyone can offer!

Hi Owen,
you can write them a letter and explain that you only stayed there for 2 mos...
In my case, they asked for PCC from UK, USA, from my home country and from the country of my husband. So i sent 4 PCC from 4 different countries.. Although we never lived or worked in UK and USA, we were asked to submit still. We sent them the PCC bec we did the application online. But i also made a letter explaining that we never worked or lived in both countries. I know they asked us only because both me and my hubby used to work on the cruiship. I hope this helps ☺

owen88

May 8, 2015
Thanks for the advice :)

I have sent them a letter by mail today and have emailed them the same letter. I am going to get in touch with my MP to ask if they can request a response from CIC as I've heard this can help.

Basically just really hoping that they will decide I don't need to provide it!! Don't know if that's very likely though!