+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Problem with Surrendering Indian Passport

dhanadhan

Mar 22, 2022
Hi there,

BLS is driving me nuts as I am trying to surrender our already expired Indian Passports. I just did not know we had to surrender, so it's been a long time I neglected doing this :(.

First they rejected our application because there was an unexpected gap of a few years between when our passport expired and when we got our Canadian Citizenship. This was resolved after emailing the Indian Council for an approval.

The second time I went, there was yet again name error (not matching the long given name in Indian Passport) on a couple of our forums which I corrected on the spot by filling out a brand new application. After hours of wait time, I got to the main counter and they thankfully took my parents application including $350 for fees & shipping, but not mine because my name in Indian Passport is different than Canadian Passport. Basically, my grandfather's name is listed as part of my given name which is missing in my Canadian Passport. My Indian passport has "Myname Dadname Gfname Surname", and the Gfname (grandfather's name) is missing in my Canadian Passport and all other Canadian documents such as Citizenship Certificate or Drivers License. They told me to get a name change certificate for this. It got intense at the counter so I did not want to argue to figure out what exactly I need to do. I called my local office that looks after name changes, but they did not count this as a valid reason because my Canadian Documents already have the correct name. I never submitted any name changes so I have no idea why names are different. It is possible that I did not enter the full given name in my Canadian Citizenship or Passport Application OR Canadian service people shortened my given name on Citizenship Cert or Passport, and so it's not the same as Indian Passport. All other IDs were probably obtained by providing Citizenship Cert or Passport as a proof. There is no way I would have to change my name based on what my Indian Passport has. It is way too long already and I would have to change it everywhere (all IDs, bank accounts, degrees, jobs, etc.).

So does anyone know what I need to do in this case? This dilemma is probably uncommon so it's hard to find any info on this. I want to be sure I have everything before I go there and wait for hours on stairs again :mad:

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

bluffmaster88

Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there,

BLS is driving me nuts as I am trying to surrender our already expired Indian Passports. I just did not know we had to surrender, so it's been a long time I neglected doing this :(.

First they rejected our application because there was an unexpected gap of a few years between when our passport expired and when we got our Canadian Citizenship. This was resolved after emailing the Indian Council for an approval.

The second time I went, there was yet again name error (not matching the long given name in Indian Passport) on a couple of our forums which I corrected on the spot by filling out a brand new application. After hours of wait time, I got to the main counter and they thankfully took my parents application including $350 for fees & shipping, but not mine because my name in Indian Passport is different than Canadian Passport. Basically, my grandfather's name is listed as part of my given name which is missing in my Canadian Passport. My Indian passport has "Myname Dadname Gfname Surname", and the Gfname (grandfather's name) is missing in my Canadian Passport and all other Canadian documents such as Citizenship Certificate or Drivers License. They told me to get a name change certificate for this. It got intense at the counter so I did not want to argue to figure out what exactly I need to do. I called my local office that looks after name changes, but they did not count this as a valid reason because my Canadian Documents already have the correct name. I never submitted any name changes so I have no idea why names are different. It is possible that I did not enter the full given name in my Canadian Citizenship or Passport Application OR Canadian service people shortened my given name on Citizenship Cert or Passport, and so it's not the same as Indian Passport. All other IDs were probably obtained by providing Citizenship Cert or Passport as a proof. There is no way I would have to change my name based on what my Indian Passport has. It is way too long already and I would have to change it everywhere (all IDs, bank accounts, degrees, jobs, etc.).

So does anyone know what I need to do in this case? This dilemma is probably uncommon so it's hard to find any info on this. I want to be sure I have everything before I go there and wait for hours on stairs again :mad:

Thanks
Contact the high commission. Most likely you might have to submit affidavit.

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there,

Thanks
Where are you based? In GTA high commission does camps quite frequently. You can approach them there & try to discuss.

Reactions: delray55

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Hi there,

BLS is driving me nuts as I am trying to surrender our already expired Indian Passports. I just did not know we had to surrender, so it's been a long time I neglected doing this :(....

Thanks
The joys of dealing with bureaucrats! The folks at BLS think they are the High Commission themselves.

If you are covered by the Consulate in Toronto, write directly to the Consul General with evidence. Madam Srivastava is quite responsive and helpful. I am certain she would be able to help in this.

dhanadhan

Mar 22, 2022
The joys of dealing with bureaucrats! The folks at BLS think they are the High Commission themselves.

If you are covered by the Consulate in Toronto, write directly to the Consul General with evidence. Madam Srivastava is quite responsive and helpful. I am certain she would be able to help in this.
I was directly told "I don't work for Canada" when I asked for more info on the name change certificate lol

Thank you and others above for replying.

I am not in GTA, on the side of Canada. I already emailed council by replying to the email they approved our first problem. Let's see what they say.

Reactions: akbardxb

workharder

Star Member
Sep 22, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ndvo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-16
One question guys did you sent the original Canadian passport along with copy for surrender certificate by postal mode for those who have done recently.Can someone confirm?

dhanadhan

Mar 22, 2022
One question guys did you sent the original Canadian passport along with copy for surrender certificate by postal mode for those who have done recently.Can someone confirm?
I went for walk-ins since we don't need an appointment for surrendering application. But I did not include original Canadian Passport, just a copy. They don't ask for it either nor they list in the check-list posted on their site.

dhanadhan

Mar 22, 2022
So my Surrendering Application problem have been taken care of. Once I got a reply from Indian Council, I had to get an affidavit from a notary office attesting my name.

Thanks you all for replying.

Ryanpre3

Star Member
Dec 20, 2021

How to contact madam srivastava . Any contacts?

i6evx5e8

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022
Curious question: But why are the names different? Shouldn't we keep the name same everywhere?
Bad comment, pls ignore if you want: I mean, if we make a mistake, how can Visa Office be responsible for that?

Suggestion (I am no expert, etc. etc.): Please see if affidavit helps, as I have seen in may other case in or outside of this forum.

dopedupguy

Sep 30, 2014
This has been asked before but I just wanted to clarify:

For mail-in applications for surrender of Indian passport, do we need to send original Canadian passport as well along with self attested copies? There are two checklists in the forms section and both give conflicting information.

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
Hang on did I read correctly....the Indian Authorities want $350 so that you can relinquish your Indian Citizenship? :D What a robbing bunch of bleeders....

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017
Hang on did I read correctly....the Indian Authorities want $350 so that you can relinquish your Indian Citizenship? :D What a robbing bunch of bleeders....
Penalty Section 1. Passport not surrendered up to three years and not used for travel after obtaining foreign passport. No penalty

2. Passport not surrendered up to three years and travelled once after obtaining foreign passport. No penalty for retention of passport but penalty of Rs. 10,000/- for travel on Indian passport 12(1A

3-Passport not surrendered up to three years and travelled more than once after obtaining foreign passport. No penalty for retention of passport but penalty of Rs. 10,000/- for each travel on Indian passport (aggregate penalty on travel not to exceed Rs. 50,000/-) 12(1A)

4-Passport not surrendered for over three Penalty of Rs. 10,000/- for retention of passport and penalty of 12(1A)

NORMAL SURRENDER FEES- $-129.40 SHOW AS BLS SITE

Last edited:

CanEuro

Star Member
Sep 4, 2020
So basically one must surrender within 3 years without traveling on Indian passport no to get penalty