+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Problem with renewing my BC driver's license.

jetrel

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
So I live in BC on a 2-year IEC visa. When I first arrived, (October 2017) I exchanged my UK license for a BC one. They issued me a photocard license, Class 5. No tests taken. It was only issued until Jun 29 2019 (my birthday).

So today I drive to the only place open (an Interior Savings who does ICBC licensing) and she told me I needed my immigration document.
I do not remember bringing in my immigration document when I first got my license, but I could be wrong. I don't really remember. But I was told I needed both a) my current immigration doc which expires in October 19, and confirmation that I have a PR application underway (that'd be AOR, right?)

She told me I couldn't get a temporary license, but I've seen mention online that you can. If I truly won't be able to renew until AOR, which is several weeks correct? I might be having trouble at work with that.

Surely someone else from BC must've gone through this but I can't find a post with my exact situation.

LisaH

Star Member
Jan 21, 2019
So I live in BC on a 2-year IEC visa. When I first arrived, (October 2017) I exchanged my UK license for a BC one. They issued me a photocard license, Class 5. No tests taken. It was only issued until Jun 29 2019 (my birthday).

So today I drive to the only place open (an Interior Savings who does ICBC licensing) and she told me I needed my immigration document.
I do not remember bringing in my immigration document when I first got my license, but I could be wrong. I don't really remember. But I was told I needed both a) my current immigration doc which expires in October 19, and confirmation that I have a PR application underway (that'd be AOR, right?)

She told me I couldn't get a temporary license, but I've seen mention online that you can. If I truly won't be able to renew until AOR, which is several weeks correct? I might be having trouble at work with that.

Surely someone else from BC must've gone through this but I can't find a post with my exact situation.
In Alberta, I had to wait until I received my OWP from my PR application process. My IEC OWP was expiring in less than 6 months, so I wasn't eligible.

jetrel

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
In Alberta, I had to wait until I received my OWP from my PR application process. My IEC OWP was expiring in less than 6 months, so I wasn't eligible.
Well shit. I hope that isn't the same for BC. Can't wait months without a DL. I have a job that might fire me for that.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

What documents did you bring in ?
Seems from the ICBC site you need your immigration documents
Seems there’s a six months expiry for docs in BC as well
https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/visit-dl-office/Pages/Accepted-ID.aspx

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
Well shit. I hope that isn't the same for BC. Can't wait months without a DL. I have a job that might fire me for that.
I renewed my DL 2 months ago. ICBC accepted my BC Service Card and a credit card as IDs. Perhaps you should try renewing your DL at a different center.

jetrel

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
What documents did you bring in ?
Seems from the ICBC site you need your immigration documents
Seems there’s a six months expiry for docs in BC as well
https://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/visit-dl-office/Pages/Accepted-ID.aspx
Yep I didn't realize that I had to. But my current expires in 4 months, and I was told I can't get a temporary using just that. She said I'd have to give proof of a current PR application (I don't have AOR yet because I submitted it last week)

But I've seen contradictory answers online - some say I can get an interim, others say I can't

jetrel

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
I renewed my DL 2 months ago. ICBC accepted my BC Service Card and a credit card as IDs. Perhaps you should try renewing your DL at a different center.
Only 1st ID I have is my DL. The woman said there was an "immigration hold" placed on my license itself.

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
Oh! that is a problem, I don't think there is much you can do but wait for AOR. Is your MSP also going to expire in October?

K3nda

Oct 3, 2018
Nova Scotia
That's unfortunate. I really hope they can give me an interim license. They only last 2 months I don't see why they wouldn't.
Maybe try taking your receipts, proof of payments for the PR and try to explain to someone your situation. someone also suggested going to another center so maybe you should try that.

jetrel

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
Maybe try taking your receipts, proof of payments for the PR and try to explain to someone your situation. someone also suggested going to another center so maybe you should try that.
Yeah I'm going to try the actual ICBC place in town at lunch. Hopefully they'll give me an interim if nothing else.

TTWG!

Dec 30, 2022
Yeah I'm going to try the actual ICBC place in town at lunch. Hopefully they'll give me an interim if nothing else.
What was the outcome? My spouse similar situation. Didn't go ICBC yet just gathering what we need and fact finding.