+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Problem with Immigration office in Toronto Airport.

M

mikeymyke

One thing I love the most about the Border Security show is that visitors who come from countries with limited human rights, start complaining about their "rights" in Canada, mind you they're not even PRs or citizens. Yet in their home countries, when going through customs, no one, tourists or citizens, complain about anything because they know they'll be fined, jailed, or whatever just for arguing with an official. At least in Canada, the officers are polite, ask the right questions, and explain everything to you, in other countries, they're rude as hell and if you argue, they'll fine you or jail you.

Don't complain when you're here, be glad that at least you're in a country where we actually allow you to argue with the officers without persecution.

jddalove

Star Member
Nov 5, 2013
fkl said:
scylla has been talking in legal terms. If you are asking ethically, yes no one should have the right unless they have a strong reason justification to. But we don't live in a perfect world. A person entering a country (i know of US and Canada at least) doesn't have the rights equal to a person legally present inside the country. So CBSA / TSA have a lot of privileges over them if they like and they can get away saying it was a "random" extended evaluation.

The internet is full of horror stories of TSA's and people who refuse to go through full body scanners - in fact in some cases there are events when they just "thought that scan wasn't thorough enough" and choose to "pat down" a beautiful girl who even was a US citizen.
the only reasonable and human answer I have heard,,,thank you

jddalove

Star Member
Nov 5, 2013
Rufio3933 said:
I'm glad on one episode they caught the guy from Thailand with child sex abuse images, by searching the laptop. Would you rather have that guy bring those images into Canada? And the guy who flipped out was just being an overgrown baby. He had his little temper tantrum then got taken away by the CBSA.

I'm proud of those officers for having thick skin dealing with people like that everyday, and in the end it doesn't matter how much someone "flips" they will end up searching the stuff anyways.
DUDE!!!! ''bringing those images to canada??''' have u ever heard of internet???????
the guy who flipped was damn right,,i dont have to give u any password of my emaill,,,he had all the right of the world...
any person who is given rights or privileges and power over others will most likely end up ''overusing them'' thats what they do,,
what i find interesting is that ALL THOSE OFFICERS are freaking immigrants,,asians,,indians,,,how could u stupid indian be concerned about ''if i overstay'' when youre an immigrant yourself??? stupid show...
i just like one guy in that show,,i think its the one who speaks bulgarian,,,he helped more than what he screwed...

Rufio3933

Jun 12, 2014
jddalove said:
DUDE!!!! ''bringing those images to canada??''' have u ever heard of internet???????
the guy who flipped was damn right,,i dont have to give u any password of my emaill,,,he had all the right of the world...
any person who is given rights or privileges and power over others will most likely end up ''overusing them'' thats what they do,,
what i find interesting is that ALL THOSE OFFICERS are freaking immigrants,,asians,,indians,,,how could u stupid indian be concerned about ''if i overstay'' when youre an immigrant yourself??? stupid show...
i just like one guy in that show,,i think its the one who speaks bulgarian,,,he helped more than what he screwed...
Were you the guy on that show freaking out? You know many of those images are on hard drives which are exchanged amongst people in pedo rings, less risk of getting traced and caught. Obviously you don't really understand how these people operate, read the newspaper once in a while, its almost never images discovered on a website its almost always found on hard drives. Its a horrible crime, good on that officer for getting into the laptop to find those images. Let the morons complain all they want. They are going through peoples cellphones and laptops everyday as we speak, whether you like it or not.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
I think that there is some what exploitation on both sides. The privileges were given because of the very real danger faced by a country when running into all sorts of people. But that power is more frequently abused than it pays off positively.

Still, complaining of rights - to me is not an evil concept or limited to some isolated country. I would go to distinguish Canada from US in that matter - former being a lot better. But again US has had sooo many political issues created all over the world that they are under far more threats - of any sort.

Generally speaking natives, residents and citizens of US are strongly vocal against the TSA practices so far. So this misuse is certainly on a different level.

M

mikeymyke

I don't mind if the border agents go through my stuff, because frankly, I have nothing to hide, and they're just doing their job. They won't find naked pics of my wife on my phone or computer, because I'm not stupid enough to put such images on portable devices.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Emm.. that is subjective and every one would draw his own line. You won't mind them going through your stuff, but you would definitely mind if they ask for an elaborate "pat down" on you or worst, your wife - where you could literally see on the guy's face what he is up to. This is far more common that one might think. So - unlimited authority is definitely not good for any one.

It is their job to look for any signs of crime et al, but it is definitely NOT THEIR JOB to enjoy passengers as a means of pleasure for their boring duty. I have literally heard of cases where they are commenting in local languages discussing passengers figures or chatting about close ups of passengers when viewed through body scanners. A little search would reveal much evidence on the counter side.

jddalove

Star Member
Nov 5, 2013
fkl said:
Emm.. that is subjective and every one would draw his own line. You won't mind them going through your stuff, but you would definitely mind if they ask for an elaborate "pat down" on you or worst, your wife - where you could literally see on the guy's face what he is up to. This is far more common that one might think. So - unlimited authority is definitely not good for any one.

It is their job to look for any signs of crime or other thing, but it is definitely NOT THEIR JOB to enjoy passengers as a means of pleasure for their boring duty. I have literally heard of cases where they are commenting in local languages discussing passengers figures or chatting about close ups of passengers when viewed through body scanners. A little search would reveal much evidence on the counter side.
i dont know who you are but I like you already,,
dont get me wrong,,I understand they have to check people cuz they is crazy people out there,,got it,,but check my phone? my personal email? yes on paper they might have the right to but THEY SHOULDNT!!! and if they were professional and ''polite'' as mikey says they would help you at least pack again,,not unpack ur stuff and leave it there for you to organize again,,,
THEY DONT EVEN apologize after treating you like a criminal come on...

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Ah... @ jaddalove thanks - appreciate that.

But these are just opinions we all share. Please be considerate / generous about those of others. I just hope you remain as tolerant of me (or others) even if i / others differ from your point of view. Respect remains the key whether at the airport or on a public forum. Cheers

Update:
On a personal note, i would definitely NOT like them to go through my phone, email or laptop irrespective of me having nothing to hide. And i can certify that MOST PEOPLE in the developed world won't either (just ask this on some random forum in the US / UK and the response would confirm that).

But knowing what i know now and have seen, i would probably try seeing the reason they are doing so and would at least state politely that i am NOT comfortable doing so, but would respect and comply if they really see the need. This has never happened to me (as it happened to the OP in the thread), but again i have never put myself in a questionable status either (such as visiting a country with the intention of delivering a baby there).

So i guess it has a lot to do with the over all profile you carry as well. For me it was always the case that i had more documents to show than required and Border agents were more than polite or helpful even praising the fact that i have every thing in line already where as they have problems when people come with in complete information.

Phones are usually brought out when you need to use them. If you have genuine documents and reason, i don't see why would that even come in picture.

APAK

Nov 7, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
OCT 2012
File Transfer...
Transferred to ottawa in Nov 2012,transferred to ISB july 2013
LANDED..........
cannot wait!!
I have applied online at Abu dhabi. Since applying two months back, I have recieved two emails to check my mycic account but when i do, there r no updates...is this normal? I have emailed Abu dhabi visa office but haven't recieved a reply from them either

Is this normal?

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
jddalove said:
cbsa shouldnt have the right to check your phone,,if they check mine id rather break the phone before them...what if i had naked pics of my wife? wtf?
Given that they have a right to strip search you, checking your phone is no big deal-

If you break your phone in front of them to prevent them from seeing what is on it-expect to be carted off to jail and being barred from Canada for life

jddalove

Star Member
Nov 5, 2013
so be it but no one will check my stuff,,
and if they ever try to strip search me i would rather go back than let them search me when CLEARLY i was scanned and dont have anything.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
jddalove said:
so be it but no mothef @ @ @ will check my stuff,,
and if they ever try to strip search me i would rather go back than let those motherf @ @ search me when CLEARLY i was scanned and dont have anything.
If you are at the "strip search" stage, you are already under arrest. You can't go anywhere...
They can also seize any documents or devices they wish for forensic analysis. Again, you have no choice.