+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Problem with extending a medical card

iVictor

Dec 20, 2021
Hello Everyone,

I've been extending my work permit since February. I'm still waiting for an answer from IRCC. Right now, I have a problem extending my medical card (RAMQ) in Montreal.

Let me explain why. I got a new medical card in February for 6 months only. In fact, my medical card is expired at the end of July. RAQM said me that they can't extend my medical card again because they don't know my current status. They said me to sign a special form and they can contact IRCC and validate my status in Canada before give me a new medical card.

I have two questions:
1. How long will IRCC answer RAMQ about my status?
2. Maybe, anyone knows a different way to extend my medical card? Send some documents?

Thanks,
Victor

erikaS

Apr 25, 2021
As far as I know you'll only be able to extend your medical card once you have the new work permit on hand. Our cards are also expired in February, we received the new WPs quite recently and sent in the copies of them with the extension request form to RAMQ. It's still in progress. We used the expired cards in the pharmacy (to get a pack of covid tests), we just told them that we are currently waiting for new cards. It's a common situation I guess with all the delays in immigration.

iVictor

Dec 20, 2021
Thank you erikaS for your answer. Could you tell me, please, when you applied to extend your work permit and got a result? I've been extending my work permit since February

erikaS

Apr 25, 2021
We applied in November 2021 and got the new permits in late April 2022. It takes quite long these days, but I think you should get it soon at this point.