+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Problem in Sponsoring an Adopted Child

msdaybreak

Sep 14, 2014
I would like to seek the advice of the experts. I am sponsoring my adopted daughter and the embassy in my home country sent instructions asking us to provide them docs some of which I need to get from Canada and was given 30 days to comply. There is not enough time to submit all of it since in order to get some of those like the no objection letter from the Ministry of Children and Youth Services, they asked me to take a seminar (which will cover 2 weekends), work with an adoption agency (1-2 yrs accdg to them) here and get a homestudy done (which is like 3-5 mos.). It's like I am adopting her again and it is really very stressful as it requires a huge sum of money. Is this really necessary when she's already been adopted? Will the embassy give an extension if we request for it? The letter from the embassy says if we they do not receive all of what they are asking, they will make a final review of her visa application based on what info they have available on file and may result to refusal of the application. I am really worried about this and could not sleep. I have all of what they are asking except the ones needed from Canada because I was not aware before of these requirements. In case of a refusal, can we still appeal? I hope the experts can give me an advice. Thank you and more power!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes, it's necessary. Besides adopting the child in her home country, you also need to meet the adoption requirements of the province where you live. Otherwise, your adoption will not be recognized and the app will be refused. If it's refused, there is no point in appealing, as the decision would be right under the law.

You can ask CIC for an extension to complete everything. They may or may not grant it.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/immigrate/adoption/index.asp

msdaybreak

Sep 14, 2014
I see. Thank you for your reply, Canuck. I guess I just have to save enough for the fees because to get the required papers here entails a lot of money. It's just so sad there's a lot of paperwork (and expenses) still needed to be done when actually she has been with me ever since she was born so she is just like own child.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
I can understand your plight regarding paperwork over adoption. However you need to get your ducks all lined up in a row, dot all the i's and cross the t's to make the adoption all legal and legit. No room for errors that can be a major legal headache down the road. Leave no chance of your adoption to be interpreted as adoption of convenient in CIC's eyes or CiC to deny PR or citizenship for your adopted child all over some papers being missed.

Better safe than sorry than to worry about saving money because it cost you too much. Good luck with the adoption process.

Screech339

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Could you get someone in charge of your case at the Ministry and discuss this with them? It might be possible to do away with the adoption agency, since the child is already adopted. That would save you a lot of money and time. The home study would still be necessary though. I would use an immigration lawyer for this.

msdaybreak

Sep 14, 2014
Thank you, screech339 and canadianwoman. Thanks for the valuable input. I have talked to the Ministry already and sent them docs they needed to see then they said because it was finalized when I was already here in Canada, I had to go through this long process which includes working with an adoption agency to assist in complying with the adoption regulations. I also checked with the Ministry and even the agency what other options I have. I was thinking maybe i do not have to go through all the items in the list and yes, perhaps do away with the agency but based on their replies the only option I have is to go through the process and complete the requirements. As I understand I cannot do away with the adoption agency and I still have to work with them as they are the only ones authorized to process the docs needed by the Ministry. And oh... I also have to go back to my home country to get myself a police clearance...

Pinkyface

Oct 29, 2015
msdaybreak said:
Thank you, screech339 and canadianwoman. Thanks for the valuable input. I have talked to the Ministry already and sent them docs they needed to see then they said because it was finalized when I was already here in Canada, I had to go through this long process which includes working with an adoption agency to assist in complying with the adoption regulations. I also checked with the Ministry and even the agency what other options I have. I was thinking maybe i do not have to go through all the items in the list and yes, perhaps do away with the agency but based on their replies the only option I have is to go through the process and complete the requirements. As I understand I cannot do away with the adoption agency and I still have to work with them as they are the only ones authorized to process the docs needed by the Ministry. And oh... I also have to go back to my home country to get myself a police clearance...
hi msdaydaybreak,

How was the adoption? did you really work with the adoptive agency?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
First question is always whether the child is truly an orphan and thry hav3 a record that both parents are dead. Adoption of a family member is common in many areas of the world.