+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Problem in applying for Open bridging Work Permit (OBWP)

AngadTaneja

Dec 23, 2016
Hello Everyone,

I am requesting one and all to help and advise in whatever way possible.

I recently applied for my PR and received the AOR on May 11, 2017. My PGWP is expiring on June 14, 2017. And as per my understanding, I need to apply for Open bridging Work Permit (OBWP).

However, as I start the process by answering questions, I am being redirected to an application for Temporary Resident Visa. What I don't understand is that I have been in Canada and currently working based on my PGWP. Should I be applying for TRV or OBWP?

I answered in the following manner in the survey:

1. What would you like to do in Canada?
Work

2. How long are you planning to stay in Canada?
Temporarily more than 6 months

3. Which country issued your passport?
IND (India)
4. What is your current country/territory of residence? If you are presently in Canada, you should select Canada.
Canada

5. Do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen (glossary.do?id=486) or permanent resident and is 18 years or older?
No

6. What is your date of birth?
June 10, 1992

7. Are you a lawful permanent resident of the United States with a valid alien registration card (Green Card)?
No

8. What is your current immigration status in Canada?
Worker

9. Does one of the following apply to you?
Review your answers Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
• I am subject of a removal order that is unenforceable
• I applied for a study or work permit before entering Canada which was approved, but not issued at a port of entry; or
• I am a primary or secondary student with visitor status in Canada; or
• I am a visiting or exchange student with visitor status in Canada; or
• I am a student who has completed a program of study that is a prerequisite to my enrolment at a designated learning institution with visitor status in
Canada; or
• I applied for permanent residence and was found eligible (first stage approval) under one of the following classes:
• Spouse or Commonlaw Partner in Canada
• Humanitarian and Compassionate cases
• Protected Persons in Canada
• Livein Caregiver in Canada
No

10. Are you a spouse (glossary.do?id=611), commonlaw partner (glossary.do?id=489) or dependent child of a person who:
• Holds a Work Permit for a job in National Occupation Classification O, A, B;
• Holds a study permit and is a fulltime student at a university, community college, CÉGEP or other authorized educational institution;
• Holds a Temporary Resident Permit that is valid for six months or more;
• Applied for Permanent Residence to an office in Canada and was determined to be eligible for Permanent Resident status (first stage approval)
• Is subject of a removal order that is unenforceable.
No

11. Are you a spouse (glossary.do?id=611), commonlaw partner (glossary.do?id=489) or dependent child of a person who is:
• a foreign government officer in Canada on an exchange agreement
• a military personnel assigned to Canada
• a participant in professional sports activities or events
• an employee of a foreign news company
• a religious worker
No

12. Have you been told by an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada office that you are approved in principle for permanent residence in Canada?
No

13. Have you submitted a permanent resident (glossary.do?id=580) application in Canada?
Yes

14. Do you have a written job offer?
No

15. What is your marital status?
Never Married/Single

16. What is your province of destination? If visiting multiple provinces, select the one in which you will be spending most of your time.
Ontario

17. Which of the following best describes your situation?
I have an open work permit

18. Have you had a medical exam performed by an IRCC authorized panel physician (doctor) within the last 12 months?
No

19. Have you lived in a designated country or territory for more than six months in the last year?
No

20. Do you want to work in one of the following jobs?
health sciences worker
clinical laboratory worker
patient attendant in nursing or geriatric homes
medical student admitted to Canada to attend university
medical elective and physician on short term assignment
teacher of primary or secondary schools or other teachers of small children
domestics worker, someone who gives inhome care to children, the elderly and the disabled
day nursery worker
No

21. Do you want to submit an application for a family member (glossary.do?id=518)?
No

22. Are you giving someone access to your application?
No

23. There are fees associated with this application. Will you be paying your fees or are you fee exempt?
Yes, I will be paying my application fees.

24. Are you able to make a digital copy of your documents with a scanner or camera?
Yes

25. Will you be paying your application fees online? To pay online, you need a Visa, MasterCard or American Express.
Yes

Did I answer any of them wrong?
If yes, please advise and I will correct it.
If not, then why is it not providing me an option to apply for Work Permit?

To one and all, please help!

Thanks.

RabinJi

Champion Member
Feb 3, 2014
Penticton,B.C
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Doc's Request.
21-07-2016
AOR Received.
13th June
Passport Req..
14,June,2017
LANDED..........
18/07/2017
12.answer should be YES if you have received AOR
18.answer should be YES because you could use medical same which you have submitted for PR application if it is still valid.
9.answer should be YES because you have already submitted your application for PR
after you corrected these answer you could see below open permit so click continue.
Hope this helps

Reactions: AngadTaneja

AngadTaneja

Dec 23, 2016
12.answer should be YES if you have received AOR
18.answer should be YES because you could use medical same which you have submitted for PR application if it is still valid.
9.answer should be YES because you have already submitted your application for PR
after you corrected these answer you could see below open permit so click continue.
Hope this helps
Hello RabinJi,

I understand the change in answers for 12 and 18. But why should I change it for point 9?
I am unable to understand that.

Can I request you to please elaborate on that?

Many Thanks

RabinJi

Champion Member
Feb 3, 2014
Penticton,B.C
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Doc's Request.
21-07-2016
AOR Received.
13th June
Passport Req..
14,June,2017
LANDED..........
18/07/2017
In that question number 9,you could see
• I applied for permanent residence and was found eligible (first stage approval) under one of the following classes
That means you already submitted your pr application and you got aor right,this means the first stage of approval and answer should be YES.

AngadTaneja

Dec 23, 2016
In that question number 9,you could see
• I applied for permanent residence and was found eligible (first stage approval) under one of the following classes
That means you already submitted your pr application and you got aor right,this means the first stage of approval and answer should be YES.
Thanks a lot for all your help my friend. However, I am facing some issues in completing the form. Can you advise me on the following:
1. Should I select Work permit with a new employer or temporary resident permit or both?
2. Do I need to select Open WP in the question "what type of work permit are you applying for?" ? Or else should I select Other and mention BOWP in the section?

RabinJi

Champion Member
Feb 3, 2014
Penticton,B.C
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Doc's Request.
21-07-2016
AOR Received.
13th June
Passport Req..
14,June,2017
LANDED..........
18/07/2017
Thanks a lot for all your help my friend. However, I am facing some issues in completing the form. Can you advise me on the following:
1. Should I select Work permit with a new employer or temporary resident permit or both?
Yes
2. Do I need to select Open WP in the question "what type of work permit are you applying for?" ? Or else should I select Other and mention BOWP in the section?
You should select open work permit because there is no option for BOWP
Hope this helps

RabinJi

Champion Member
Feb 3, 2014
Penticton,B.C
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Doc's Request.
21-07-2016
AOR Received.
13th June
Passport Req..
14,June,2017
LANDED..........
18/07/2017
Thanks a lot!

I know it might sound silly but do I need to print and then save the form for online submission or just save it and then submit?
you mean IMM5710,if yes then print,scanned and save and upload.

ZiyodaSh

Sep 28, 2017
Hello there,
I just have a quick question - Is there any way to apply for BOWP without an AOR? I heard it takes at least a couple of weeks to receive it and my post grad work permit will expire by then so I'm not sure what to do while I wait for PR application to process....

Aniee

Jan 23, 2018
Hello Everyone,

I am requesting one and all to help and advise in whatever way possible.

I recently applied for my PR and received the AOR on May 11, 2017. My PGWP is expiring on June 14, 2017. And as per my understanding, I need to apply for Open bridging Work Permit (OBWP).

However, as I start the process by answering questions, I am being redirected to an application for Temporary Resident Visa. What I don't understand is that I have been in Canada and currently working based on my PGWP. Should I be applying for TRV or OBWP?

I answered in the following manner in the survey:

1. What would you like to do in Canada?
Work

2. How long are you planning to stay in Canada?
Temporarily more than 6 months

3. Which country issued your passport?
IND (India)
4. What is your current country/territory of residence? If you are presently in Canada, you should select Canada.
Canada

5. Do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen (glossary.do?id=486) or permanent resident and is 18 years or older?
No

6. What is your date of birth?
June 10, 1992

7. Are you a lawful permanent resident of the United States with a valid alien registration card (Green Card)?
No

8. What is your current immigration status in Canada?
Worker

9. Does one of the following apply to you?
Review your answers Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
• I am subject of a removal order that is unenforceable
• I applied for a study or work permit before entering Canada which was approved, but not issued at a port of entry; or
• I am a primary or secondary student with visitor status in Canada; or
• I am a visiting or exchange student with visitor status in Canada; or
• I am a student who has completed a program of study that is a prerequisite to my enrolment at a designated learning institution with visitor status in
Canada; or
• I applied for permanent residence and was found eligible (first stage approval) under one of the following classes:
• Spouse or Commonlaw Partner in Canada
• Humanitarian and Compassionate cases
• Protected Persons in Canada
• Livein Caregiver in Canada
No

10. Are you a spouse (glossary.do?id=611), commonlaw partner (glossary.do?id=489) or dependent child of a person who:
• Holds a Work Permit for a job in National Occupation Classification O, A, B;
• Holds a study permit and is a fulltime student at a university, community college, CÉGEP or other authorized educational institution;
• Holds a Temporary Resident Permit that is valid for six months or more;
• Applied for Permanent Residence to an office in Canada and was determined to be eligible for Permanent Resident status (first stage approval)
• Is subject of a removal order that is unenforceable.
No

11. Are you a spouse (glossary.do?id=611), commonlaw partner (glossary.do?id=489) or dependent child of a person who is:
• a foreign government officer in Canada on an exchange agreement
• a military personnel assigned to Canada
• a participant in professional sports activities or events
• an employee of a foreign news company
• a religious worker
No

12. Have you been told by an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada office that you are approved in principle for permanent residence in Canada?
No

13. Have you submitted a permanent resident (glossary.do?id=580) application in Canada?
Yes

14. Do you have a written job offer?
No

15. What is your marital status?
Never Married/Single

16. What is your province of destination? If visiting multiple provinces, select the one in which you will be spending most of your time.
Ontario

17. Which of the following best describes your situation?
I have an open work permit

18. Have you had a medical exam performed by an IRCC authorized panel physician (doctor) within the last 12 months?
No

19. Have you lived in a designated country or territory for more than six months in the last year?
No

20. Do you want to work in one of the following jobs?
health sciences worker
clinical laboratory worker
patient attendant in nursing or geriatric homes
medical student admitted to Canada to attend university
medical elective and physician on short term assignment
teacher of primary or secondary schools or other teachers of small children
domestics worker, someone who gives inhome care to children, the elderly and the disabled
day nursery worker
No

21. Do you want to submit an application for a family member (glossary.do?id=518)?
No

22. Are you giving someone access to your application?
No

23. There are fees associated with this application. Will you be paying your fees or are you fee exempt?
Yes, I will be paying my application fees.

24. Are you able to make a digital copy of your documents with a scanner or camera?
Yes

25. Will you be paying your application fees online? To pay online, you need a Visa, MasterCard or American Express.
Yes

Did I answer any of them wrong?
If yes, please advise and I will correct it.
If not, then why is it not providing me an option to apply for Work Permit?

To one and all, please help!

Thanks.
Hi Angad,
I am also applying for my BOWP and I am on my PGWP , I am just checking does we need to make any changes as suggested below for point 9,12 & 18. Please suggest .