+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Primary Teaching - International Experience Canada

nparry

Jul 7, 2018
I've spent the past few months researching the best route into teaching in BC. I've started an application for a BC teaching certificate, but I'm still not sure on what visa I would then use. I came across the International Experience Canada visa today and I'm wondering whether this would be suitable. A lot of the jobs I have seen advertised are for on-call. Does anyone have any experience or advice on this? If this wouldn't be suitable, can someone please point me in the right direction as to how to teach in BC for a couple of years?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I've spent the past few months researching the best route into teaching in BC. I've started an application for a BC teaching certificate, but I'm still not sure on what visa I would then use. I came across the International Experience Canada visa today and I'm wondering whether this would be suitable. A lot of the jobs I have seen advertised are for on-call. Does anyone have any experience or advice on this? If this wouldn't be suitable, can someone please point me in the right direction as to how to teach in BC for a couple of years?
How old are you? Where are you from?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
In that case - yes, the IEC is really your best (and only) option at this time.

There are limited IECs available for UK citizens and many applicants. If you want to make a go of it, submit your profile as soon as you can. If you are selected and approved, this will give you a two year open work permit that will allow you to work for any employer. Note that you will need to obtain the teaching certificate before you will be able to teach in BC.

The other path for obtaining a work permit is to get a job offer from an employer in Canada and for that employer to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a closed work permit. This isn't going to happen for a teaching position since obtaining an approved LMIA requires the employer to prove no Canadian could be found for the role - and Canada has more qualified teachers than spots available.

So yes - IEC is the way to go. But understand there's no guarantee you will be selected.