+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Primary NOC and Years of Work Experience Count

xiaochuzi

Aug 3, 2018
Hi members,

I am making application for the Express Entry and have some questions about choosing primary NOC.

I have two work experience fall into 2 different NOCs.

Job 1: financial analyst --- 2 years and 10 months
Job 2: marketing analyst ---- 1 year and it is my current job

Between job1 and job 2 I got my MBA degree and it takes 2 years.

My questions are:

1.Which one I should choose as the primary NOC, job 1 or job 2?
Does changing the primary NOC (e.g. from job1 to job2) have an impact of my score?

2. How the years of work experience calculated for the score in the ranking?
I am not sure whether my score is based on the experience of primary NOC only ( if I choose job 2 as primary then my experience only counts for 1 year)
OR
based on the total years of experience regardless of what primary NOC I choose ( anyway my work experience is in total 3 year and 10 months)?

Thank you!!! :)

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Hi members,

I am making application for the Express Entry and have some questions about choosing primary NOC.

I have two work experience fall into 2 different NOCs.

Job 1: financial analyst --- 2 years and 10 months
Job 2: marketing analyst ---- 1 year and it is my current job

Between job1 and job 2 I got my MBA degree and it takes 2 years.

My questions are:

1.Which one I should choose as the primary NOC, job 1 or job 2?
Does changing the primary NOC (e.g. from job1 to job2) have an impact of my score?

I think both roles are falling under NOC A or B skill type and should qualify. You should have minimum 1 yr experience(full time) which I read above you have....
No it should not have considering you are highlighting both jobs and will be able to provide documents such as Letter of Reference and salary slips(not mandatory, but can come in handy)

2. How the years of work experience calculated for the score in the ranking? Total work ex of 3 yrs can be claimed in the last 10 yrs(if it is foreign work exp)(provided you can support it with the documents suggested above)
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/criteria-comprehensive-ranking-system/grid.html
I am not sure whether my score is based on the experience of primary NOC only ( if I choose job 2 as primary then my experience only counts for 1 year)
OR
based on the total years of experience regardless of what primary NOC I choose ( anyway my work experience is in total 3 year and 10 months)?

Thank you!!! :)

xiaochuzi

Aug 3, 2018
Thank you! I will work on the documents. As you mentioned salary slips, I understand it is not mandatory, but I could not find pay stub for my first job, is there any alternative (like the photo copy of my employee badge etc.)? Or in this case the reference letter itself would be enough ?

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Thank you! I will work on the documents. As you mentioned salary slips, I understand it is not mandatory, but I could not find pay stub for my first job, is there any alternative (like the photo copy of my employee badge etc.)? Or in this case the reference letter itself would be enough ?
Letter of refernce would be enough

Nov 24, 2018
Pls I need help here, I have 10 years experience in one bank in Nigeria as an account officer, and found my noc to be 6235. After creating my express entry profile, there was no score for work experience on human factor section, but only 50 on transferrable section. Is there any mistake I made when creating the profile?

Nov 24, 2018
Pls I need help here, I have 10 years experience in one bank in Nigeria as an account officer, and found my noc to be 6235. After creating my express entry profile, there was no score for work experience on human factor section, but only 50 on transferrable section. Is there any mistake I made when creating the profile?

Dev1992

May 5, 2019
Hi

I have a big issue like this. We have received the ITA and applying for the PR now and its expiring soon.

I am the primary applicant, and I have 3 years of work experience under 2 different NOCs

2 yrs and 10 months - NOC 2173
1 yr and 1 month - NOC 2172

I say my primary occupation is software engineer (NOC 2173), but I don't have 3 years experience in NOC 2173 alone.

Will this reduce my points? Will the number of years of experience be 2 years instead of 3?

Should the 3 years of experience that accounts for 50 points be in the same NOC, or can multiple NOCs under the same NOC type be enough ?

THanks a lot
/Devmie

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Hi

I have a big issue like this. We have received the ITA and applying for the PR now and its expiring soon.

I am the primary applicant, and I have 3 years of work experience under 2 different NOCs

2 yrs and 10 months - NOC 2173
1 yr and 1 month - NOC 2172

I say my primary occupation is software engineer (NOC 2173), but I don't have 3 years experience in NOC 2173 alone.

Will this reduce my points? Will the number of years of experience be 2 years instead of 3?

Should the 3 years of experience that accounts for 50 points be in the same NOC, or can multiple NOCs under the same NOC type be enough ?

THanks a lot
/Devmie
To qualify for EE you need minimum 1 yr experience in a single NOC which you have...
Having additional experience in another NOC won’t reduce your points.

Dev1992

May 5, 2019
To qualify for EE you need minimum 1 yr experience in a single NOC which you have...
Having additional experience in another NOC won’t reduce your points.
Hi thank you very much! :)

I was told I need 3 years in NOC 2173 itself, to claim points for 3 years experience .

We were told, our score will go down to 450 as the visa officer will only consider 2 years of experiance.

So that is not the case, and I can put 2173 as my primary occupation, and get the missing 1 year from the NOC 2172 right?

/Dev

eiden03

Star Member
Feb 18, 2019

I was told I need 3 years in NOC 2173 itself, to claim points for 3 years experience .

We were told, our score will go down to 450 as the visa officer will only consider 2 years of experiance.

So that is not the case, and I can put 2173 as my primary occupation, and get the missing 1 year from the NOC 2172 right?

/Dev
Yes. The 3 years can be any combination of jobs during the last 10 years, regardless of NOC and duration. So long as you have at least 1 continuous year in your primary NOC, you can use any other job to fill up the 3 years.

Dev1992

May 5, 2019
Yes. The 3 years can be any combination of jobs during the last 10 years, regardless of NOC and duration. So long as you have at least 1 continuous year in your primary NOC, you can use any other job to fill up the 3 years.
Thank you very much for the info..

Maybe we were misled, now its clear

Thanks a lot
Cheers :)

SamtoCanada

Star Member
Jan 9, 2020

/Dev
Hey Dev, now you must have entered all the document and went through the process.
What did you do and how many points did you get?

Dev1992

May 5, 2019
Hey Dev, now you must have entered all the document and went through the process.
What did you do and how many points did you get?
Hello all proceed successfully and we got our ppr.
What you need is 3 years of experience with at least one year at the same noc/place

prasuna94

Mar 13, 2019
Hello all proceed successfully and we got our ppr.
What you need is 3 years of experience with at least one year at the same noc/place
Can Somebody help me:
I got ITA under CEC .I have 2 years of exp back in my country with NOC 2174 and one year of canadian experience in 2173 . So how to choose primary NOC is it 2174 or 2173?

JODESOUSA

Apr 1, 2020
Can someone please verify my duties and responsibilities and confirm whether I can go with NOC 1112 for both my experiences?

My 1st JOB of 5.5 Years experience as an Investment Analyst. Duties below

• Primary responsibility included producing investment performance & risk analytics in conjunction with overseas partners
  • Prepared historical investment reports for clients
  • Verified investment performance statistics in accordance with the Global Investment Performance Standards (GIPS) to confirm that data is accurately recorded
  • Collected financial and investment information through financial statements & reports, compared it with client data to rectify incorrect records
  • Analyzed and interpreted data to determine contributing factors of performance results in comparison with benchmarks for users to make economic or business decisions
  • Analyzed 12-month Portfolio return through portfolio peer-group analysis, average and high-low factors in different strategies at Composite level and reporting the same
  • Investigated performance data at total level, asset class and security level to rectify any abnormality in portfolio accounting, security holdings & calculations and monitored investment performance trends
  • Scrutinized numerous investment statistics including Standard deviation, Sharpe ratio, Treynor ratio, Alpha, Tracking error, Relative returns and Time Weighted returns
  • Compared our returns with investment manager's returns and rectified anomalies to ensure accurate performance
My 2nd JOB of 2.3 years as a Financial Reporting Analyst. Duties below

- Collate and analyze the trading volumes received from a number of booking systems across different asset classes on each business day
- Collect financial information from applications like Thomson Reuters and Bloomberg, analyze the impact on Bank’s Benchmarks and Indices
- Quantitative and qualitative analysis between the Bank v/s other Panel Bank participants
- Evaluate and assess the reset risk across the bank and analyze the risk exposure trend in the trader’s books for each benchmark, fixing reference, currencies and tenors
- Prepare the historical trend of the Banks contribution to fixing, perform peer comparison and create reports for management meetings and discussions
- Review the regulatory events, prepare executive summary and high-level impact assessment such as financial, reputational etc
- Study the Index methodologies and flag observations before Index commencement
- Work in collaboration with regional and global teams: support audit requirements and prepare (periodic) MIS