+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Previous Relationship

Janette1977

Mar 9, 2020
Would you mention about someone in the past relationship, long time ago, lived together for a few years but never been declared as common-law nor had their name in any legal documents? Nothing was wrong with the relationship, was just a didn't-work out-relationship. What's really the purpose of mentioning any relationship that had no legal proof?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Just listed your previous common law spouse. You don't need to send proof of previous relationships. Answer the question truefully.
I don't think they will ask for that kind of proof. If you are not sure on the details (birthdays, address, exact end day of relationship just write a short explaination and include in the application)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Just listed your previous common law spouse. You don't need to send proof of previous relationships. Answer the question truefully.
I don't think they will ask for that kind of proof. If you are not sure on the details (birthdays, address, exact end day of relationship just write a short explaination and include in the application)
I'd add: the examining officer is very unlikely to pay much attention to a long-ago relationship. Even for previous marriages, they mostly want to know that the current relationship is real and the previous marriage legally ended.

But imagine something comes up or is found about your previous relationship, however irrelevant, now you've been caught in a lie.

So the most relevant point - why lie about it if it's just a normal relationship from long ago that didn't work out?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I'd add: the examining officer is very unlikely to pay much attention to a long-ago relationship. Even for previous marriages, they mostly want to know that the current relationship is real and the previous marriage legally ended.

But imagine something comes up or is found about your previous relationship, however irrelevant, now you've been caught in a lie.

So the most relevant point - why lie about it if it's just a normal relationship from long ago that didn't work out?
this exactly

Reactions: Janette1977