+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pressured to work illegaly

Pullox

Star Member
Aug 12, 2010
A few days ago, I started a claim to get my legitimately earned wages from my former boss. I was pressured to work while waiting for my work permit by my boss, saying that if I didn't go back he would hire someone else and terminate my employment. This happened for about a month and a half.
Since I made this claim through employment standards (wages claim) and my former boss did not like it, what could I do in the case of being now blackmailed by my boss regarding this illegal work? I'm a PR now and the abuse happened when I was a temporary worker still. Can that affect me in any way?

Thank you for your time and help.

Pullox

Star Member
Aug 12, 2010
Ok I'll answer my own question. So my former employer can and will continue to pay for his abuse. For all people in my same situation, I found at the cic website the following;

I have applied for a new work permit. Can I stay in Canada if my work permit expires?

Yes. You can stay in Canada, and may be able to keep working, under what's called implied status. That means the law implies you are a temporary resident. The implied status lasts until Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) decides on your new permit application. However, you must respect the following requirements:

If you applied for another work permit

You must stay in Canada and meet the conditions of your original work permit. If you applied for a work permit extension before your work permit expired, you can keep working under the same conditions as your existing permit until CIC decides on your application unless you have applied to extend your stay under another category.

If you applied for a different kind of permit

You cannot do any of the activities allowed by the original work permit. For example, you may have come to Canada as a worker and then applied for a study permit. If so, you must stop working once your work permit expires. After that, you cannot work or study until you get a new permit.

thank you and good luck to all!