+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Prescription Medications

Captmario

Nov 2, 2018
Hello guys,

So, i am hopefully moving to Canada in a few months and i have been asked by a friend to bring over some prescription medications for him with a prescription in his name. I have been reading and noticed that this might not be allowed legally.

Is it safe to do this? This is not some sort of a business deal to make money, i am just concerned that i might be breaking some law and don't want to get in trouble and waste his medications/money in the process either. so need your opinions with reference to the law.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello guys,

So, i am hopefully moving to Canada in a few months and i have been asked by a friend to bring over some prescription medications for him with a prescription in his name. I have been reading and noticed that this might not be allowed legally.

Is it safe to do this? This is not some sort of a business deal to make money, i am just concerned that i might be breaking some law and don't want to get in trouble and waste his medications/money in the process either. so need your opinions with reference to the law.
No - not safe to do. It's illegal. You can only bring in medication that's for your personal use or for the use of someone who is traveling with you who you are responsible for (e.g. minor child). If caught - expect problems with CBSA at the port of entry - medication would be seized, you may face a fine, and your passport will be flagged.

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/medication

Bringing prescription medication back to Canada
To avoid interrupting a course of treatment, Health Canada may permit you to return from abroad with a single course of treatment or a 90-day supply, whichever is less based on the directions for use, of a prescription drug. The drug must be for your use or for the use of a person who is travelling with you and for whom you are responsible. The drug must be in hospital or pharmacy-dispensed packaging, the original retail packaging, or have the original label attached to it clearly indicating what the health product is and what it contains.