+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Preparing to Renew PR card, Hvae few questions plz?

Yorker13

May 27, 2013
Hi all,

I ,my wife and our son have become PR since May 2013, we stayed for a month after landing then went back to home country.

my timeline since May 2013:

1- 2013: 1 Month only ( unemployed )

2-2014 : 6 months( unemployed )

3- 2015 : 4 months ( unemployed)

4- 2016 : 5 Months ( 2 months was employed, 3 months unemployed)

5- 2017 : 9 Months ( 5 Months Employed, 4 Months Unemployed )

Total : 25 Months > 24 months = 2 years

My questions are as follows:

1- Most of my time spent in Canada or Outside ,I was unemployed until recently, what proof of evidence on my activities while inside Canada is required, please give me some examples.

2- I still have the airplane boarding passes whenever I leave or enter canada, shall I include the ORIGINALS in my application or shall I only make a color copy of them all.

3- My son was with his mother since 2013 back home, he is 5 years now,he still didnt go to school, can I also renew his PR since is a minor although he didnt stay in Canada since 2013, what are the chances they might overlook and show lienancy, especially that we got 2 newly born girls inwhich I will apply to spnosor them as PR.

Thank you all

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There doesn't seem to be a good reason your son couldn't have met his RO if you were able to. You will have to apply for your wife (who also didn't meet the RO) and your children. Did you have a lease while you were in Canada? You could provide your tax receipts, your pay slips, etc. Not sure how you supported you and your family while being unemployed but that might be an issue when you go to sponsor your family. You will have to show periods of longterm stable employment. I would expect that your PR card application will go to secondary review that will take a year followed by another year for sponsorship.

Reactions: TempResident

Yorker13

May 27, 2013
Your post isn’t very clear. Have you all been outside of Canada since May 2013?
No I wasnt out of canada since 2013..!!

I mentioned the times i spent inside Canada since May 2013.

Now I completed exactly 2 years+1 month inside Canada, but i was on and off ,in and out, now continuesly staying in canada in those 2 years.

and in those 2 years i stayed in Canada I only worked for 8 months ( currently I am employed) and 1 and 4 months was unemployed.

i can provide pays slips,tax return reports since 2013,airplane boarding passes, also done some course for 5 months in a college .

I was subletting and sometimes stay with relatives since my family are not with me ,so i dont have lease contracts.

my questions:

1- what proof should i include in my application ,especially for the period i wasnt employed .
2- my 5 years of age son ,also is a PR but along with my wife ,they didnt come back to canada since 2013 and their PR card still valid till 2018,
I want to try to renew my son's PR since he is a minor and I am here in Canada , do u think immigration will accept to renew his PR since he didnt have a choice whether to stay or leave and now I am here and have a stable job and would like also to sponsor our other 2 kids who were born outside canada ..!!.

Yorker13

May 27, 2013
There doesn't seem to be a good reason your son couldn't have met his RO if you were able to. You will have to apply for your wife (who also didn't meet the RO) and your children. Did you have a lease while you were in Canada? You could provide your tax receipts, your pay slips, etc. Not sure how you supported you and your family while being unemployed but that might be an issue when you go to sponsor your family. You will have to show periods of longterm stable employment. I would expect that your PR card application will go to secondary review that will take a year followed by another year for sponsorship.
Hi Canuk,

thx for ur reply.

- the main reason, wife and kids still there is kind of family issue, her father suffered from colon cancer and died in mid of 2014,and my wife as her eldest among her siblings took responsibility of her family, now and after 4 years her other siblings graduated from college and working,while i was trying to find a job in my engineering field ,which i finally could,so these reasons might not be accepted by the CIC but that is how it is.

-No i dont have a lease in Canada, i stayed with relatives and sometimes i used to sublet.

- i can provide pay slips,record of employment, EI, tax returns ,airplane boarding passes, college certificate in canada...is there any other important documents that peaple also include other than lease contracts..!!

- i supported myself through my savings,i worked for 14 years so 1 and 4 months unemployment wasnt an issue for me, i dont know why would they make it an issue, i never applied for any government handouts. ,not even child benefits.

- regarding sponsoring my family ( i.e,2 kids) i read in some threads that it doesnt matter ur financial capabilities,if u will sponsor ur wife and kids,maybe it matters when u sponsor parents but wife and kids its not a must, right ?

- i was planning to renew my PR card and my son's PR card and at the same time apply to sponsor our 2 kids to become PR as well, u said my application might go to secondary review, so do u think i should wait untill i got my PR renewed then apply to sponsor the kids ,or it doesnt matter.

thanks

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Personally, I’d wait a couple of more months before you renew your PR card. 800+ days would be my suggestion to avoid it potentially going for secondary review. Only then would I apply for you children’s PR. You don’t have to be employed, but you do have to prove you have the resources to support your family without using social services.
You sons PR is a bit more of a dilemma IMO. Applying to renew, without meeting RO may complicate the process and draw further investigation into you and or your wife’s status. If you can get him to Canada, wait to renew until he has acquired the correct number of days. There is no requirement to renew a PR card unless you plan to travel. It doesn’t indicate your status.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Given that you were able to complete your RO I am not sure how you will justify that your son hasn't met his. I would just sponsor your whole family at once. Yes there is no income requirement but you have not had a long history of employment in Canada and have spent the majority of your time in Canada unemployed so it is very important that you remain employed so that you can prove that you can support your family when they come to Canada. If you apply for your PR card renewal with 25 months and given your travel in and out of the country you will end up in secondary review. You may still end up in secondary review because of your entry in and out of the country but it will delay the process by one year so it would be best to try and avoid the secondary review process if possible.

Yorker13

May 27, 2013
Thanks BuleTruck and Canuk for ur feedbacks,

- I dont mind the secondary review at least for myself, since in one year I will complete citizenship requirement and i will apply by then,so if i go to secondary review and they check all my travels,i think my citizenship process will go smoothly since they have taken sweet time to investigate my RO obligation which should be saved in my file......Right ?!

- Since i was unemployed and not having a contract lease, what other documents can I provide to CIC that i was in Canada, would the airplane boarding passes be enough, if so, shall i give the originals or notorized copies, i might need them again next year when i apply for my citizenship ,by the will of GOD.

thx

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not you don't need tickets notarized. You should find evidence that you were in the country between the time of your arrivals and departures. Did you go to the doctor or dentist? Bank receipts may help those can be used by others.