+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Preparing for Spousal Sponsorship (Common Law)

santiago.ac

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
Hi! My partner (PR) and I will be applying for Inland Spousal Sponsorship under common law in October. I'm currently preparing the documents and I'm a biiit overwhelmed by how .. freestyled this application is, as opposed to Express Entry where you had sections for every document you had to submit and therefore had to merge everything. My main question right now is that my partner and I have the following timeline and I'm not sure how to document it:
  • (Semi unrelated) We've been a couple since August 2017 in our home country, where we met. For various reasons, we didn't live together in our home country.
  • I moved to Canada in August 2021 to Apartment A as a student.
  • Partner moved to Canada as a PR in October 2022 to Apartment A (we had an amendment to my original lease to add him as a tenant).
  • Partner and I move to Apartment B (same condo building, so same address just a different unit number) in April 2023. We have a new lease with both of us as tenants, same landlord and everything. We moved in a rush 'cause we both started working from home and needed more space (Apartment A was a studio).
  • In October 2023 we will have been living together for a year between Apartment A and Apartment B - no trips or separations of any sort, don't think we've spent more than a few hours apart hah.
So, as I'm gathering all the proof of cohabitation documents, I wonder if I should make just one PDF with both leases as Leases.pdf, or make a Lease+AmendmentApartmentA.pdf and LeaseApartmentB.pdf (PS: I'm aware of the naming convention for the application, just making quick examples so it's easier to understand). I'll be adding a letter of explanation for this regardless, but I'm wondering what's the ideal way of submitting this.... I also pretend to submit bills and IDs so that would be 6-8 PDFs in total if I go the each apartment on its own route.

Additionally, regarding Proof of Relationship - since I was here before him, most utilities are under my name and I pay them while he covers a bigger chunk of the rent. I haven't found a way of making our utilities accounts joint, so I'm not sure how we could present "sharing household expenses" other than just showing that we both pay for different parts of our expenses - we don't divide them 50-50, we just divide them as we see more convenient. We'll have the 20 photos spread out through 6 years of relationship and we're aiming for four reference letters, but I'm a bit lost when it comes to the shared household expenses. We don't have a joint bank account, but we have requested an additional credit card from his card for me to provide further proof.

Thanks!

(Edited some details for clarification)

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
  • (Semi unrelated) We've been together since August 2017 in our home country, where we met.
  • I moved to Canada in August 2021 to Apartment A as a student.
  • Partner moved to Canada as a PR in October 2022 to Apartment A (we had an amendment to my original lease to add him as a tenant).
It's super related. Were you and your partner common law before he/she landed as PR in Oct 2022? Did he/she declare you as his/her common law spouse?
If that didn't happen, he/she may have issue sponsoring you.

santiago.ac

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
It's super related. Were you and your partner common law before he/she landed as PR in Oct 2022? Did he/she declare you as his/her common law spouse?
If that didn't happen, he/she may have issue sponsoring you.
No, we were together, but weren't common law before therefore didn't declare as common law.
We didn't live together back in our home country.
Why would he have issues sponsoring me?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
No, we were together, but weren't common law before therefore didn't declare as common law.
We didn't live together back in our home country.
Why would he have issues sponsoring me?
That's good. I though you were "living together". Instead of "in a relationship" before your partner became PR. So my bad.

Other than that, I think you have good proof of living together. Since you have most of the utility bills/accounts, may be some transaction from your partner's account to yours to pay some part of those exepenses are good.

santiago.ac

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
That's good. I though you were "living together". Instead of "in a relationship" before your partner became PR. So my bad.

Other than that, I think you have good proof of living together. Since you have most of the utility bills/accounts, may be some transaction from your partner's account to yours to pay some part of those exepenses are good.
Ah, gotcha! Yes, I modified that sentence on my first post to make it more clear :)
And yeah, we have a lot of transactions back and forth, I'll look for them. Thanks!

Reactions: YVR123