File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I think everyone's opinion matters. I'm new to this forum. I know rules are rules. Rules are meant to be challenged. If this topic has been discussed for years, hasn't anyone done anything about it, ie. speak or write to MP's or local political reps, etc, or even write to immigration head office with as much support on points such as the one we've been discussing? I'm on your side. I certainly will be writing to Candice Bergen to express my disappointment in this process and will gather as much support as possible. Though I am appreciative of the support of such a platform as this, it is passive in the sense that it doesn't go further than this forum. How can there be change if there is a collective agreement among us on a number of these points that only hinder us in this process, such as mine and many others in the exact same boat?
People here aren't passive - although I can see why you would make that mistake without having spent any real time here. Yes - there have been many many challenges over the years: petitions to the immigration minister / MPs (many originating from this forum), letters to MPs (again, many originating from this forum), even sometimes media involvement (again, originating from this forum), etc., etc., etc. In fact there's a petition on this subject being circulated right now in the Family Sponsorship section of the forum. We have sometimes seen positive change as a result of these actions - however this particular rule is one that no administration over the last decade has been willing to change.

By all means write a letter. But you also need to move ahead with your application under the current rules. I would place focus on that and get your outland application in as soon as possible.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Also - please please move over to the Family Sponsorship section of the forum. This is where all of the discussions are located for people in your situation. You can read through current processing times there, find the thread for your visa office, discuss how to put together a strong application, read others' stories, etc.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Actually we could not start the process last year because of personal matters. If we could wait a year without issue I would not be on this forum. I know there isn't a requirement that my child starts school in Canada for first grade in this process. It's not a personal preference. I feel it's a necessity. Though I understand CIC doesn't include this kind of information in application. I get that. I simply disagree. I believe it's okay to disagree with bureaucracy. Otherwise, we all become passive sheep....

I have experience in overcoming the 'rules' within the system. Helps to be pushy. I believe that rules, as laid out on paper, in some case, can be bent. Nothing will change if you sit back and do nothing. Everything is worth a try if it's in your best interests and does not hurt anyone..... But thanks for your insightful comment Canuck78.

I'd genuinely like to know your immigration story, and what you have learned....? Isn't that why we are all here? To learn and understand?
Wish you the best of luck. Think you will find the rules don't have much flexibility at the moment and when you had other options to apply earlier you won't find much sympathy from the government.

geoffreydhalia

Star Member
Sep 25, 2017
Wish you the best of luck. Think you will find the rules don't have much flexibility at the moment and when you had other options to apply earlier you won't find much sympathy from the government.
As I mentioned, I didn't have options earlier. Nor am not looking for sympathy, especially from government as that would be a contradiction in terms... Your replies are not helpful... No need to waste your time on me.... Best regards....

geoffreydhalia

Star Member
Sep 25, 2017
People here aren't passive - although I can see why you would make that mistake without having spent any real time here. Yes - there have been many many challenges over the years: petitions to the immigration minister / MPs (many originating from this forum), letters to MPs (again, many originating from this forum), even sometimes media involvement (again, originating from this forum), etc., etc., etc. In fact there's a petition on this subject being circulated right now in the Family Sponsorship section of the forum. We have sometimes seen positive change as a result of these actions - however this particular rule is one that no administration over the last decade has been willing to change.

By all means write a letter. But you also need to move ahead with your application under the current rules. I would place focus on that and get your outland application in as soon as possible.
Thank you Scylla. You've been very helpful. And pushy and I like that. Appreciate it. You are right I haven't spent enough time here. Thank your for enlightening me about the history of this forum. You seem quite passionate about it.

YPal

Star Member
Mar 19, 2011
There are many scenarios that allow someone to apply for a work permit outside of Canada. A few examples:

- If they have a job offer and approved LMIA from an employer in Canada.
- If their spouse is an International Student who is on a study permit in Canada and is engaged in full time studies (this gives the spouse access to an OWP)
- If their spouse is a Foreign Worker who is on a work permit Canada with a NOC A, B or 0 role (this gives the spouse access to an OWP)
- etc.

It's not meant for outland spousal sponsorship applications. You can ask this question as many times as you want to - the answer isn't going to change.

Do the same rules apply for citizens of a Visa Free Country? Because I know someone who applied for an Open Work Permit without having any of the criteria above and he is now in Canada.

Reactions: crissiron

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do the same rules apply for citizens of a Visa Free Country? Because I know someone who applied for an Open Work Permit without having any of the criteria above and he is now in Canada.
Yes - same rules apply.

There are other circumstances where open work permits are issued (it's not limited to the list I provided above). The person you know must have met one of these requirements. Open work permits aren't given out freely - and they certainly aren't given to people just because they come from a visa free country.

Reactions: crissiron

crissiron

Mar 14, 2017
From which country are you if you dont mind?

BrasilCan

Star Member
Jun 25, 2018
AOR Received.
03-08-2018
There are many scenarios that allow someone to apply for a work permit outside of Canada. A few examples:

- If they have a job offer and approved LMIA from an employer in Canada.
- If their spouse is an International Student who is on a study permit in Canada and is engaged in full time studies (this gives the spouse access to an OWP)
- If their spouse is a Foreign Worker who is on a work permit Canada with a NOC A, B or 0 role (this gives the spouse access to an OWP)
- etc.

It's not meant for outland spousal sponsorship applications. You can ask this question as many times as you want to - the answer isn't going to change.

I have seen you post on other forums, and while you have valid information to provide I am appalled by how you belittle people and treat them like lying cheats when they are simply asking for help. I circulate these forms regularly, offering what help I can, giving advice and so forth. People ask questions that perhaps the answer is obvious to me, as I have experience on the issue--but its very difficult for those new to these systems. You choose to spend your time on these forums. So if someone asks the same question 10 different ways, 10 different times-- its only wasting your time because you are letting it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have seen you post on other forums, and while you have valid information to provide I am appalled by how you belittle people and treat them like lying cheats when they are simply asking for help. I circulate these forms regularly, offering what help I can, giving advice and so forth. People ask questions that perhaps the answer is obvious to me, as I have experience on the issue--but its very difficult for those new to these systems. You choose to spend your time on these forums. So if someone asks the same question 10 different ways, 10 different times-- its only wasting your time because you are letting it.
@scylla takes time out of her own life to answer questions. Most are thankful in the end and she is very knowledgeable.

Reactions: Bryanna

BrasilCan

Star Member
Jun 25, 2018
AOR Received.
03-08-2018
I received my OWP and will need to change the conditions as my vocation is one of the currently except professions (education). I would like to work else where in the mean time and would like to get my SIN asap.. When I get my new permit with these conditions removed, will I need to go back to service canada to be issued a SIN again (will it change)?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I have been on this forum for years and have never seen scylla belittle people or "treat them like lying cheats". She certainly didn't do that in this thread.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I received my OWP and will need to change the conditions as my vocation is one of the currently except professions (education). I would like to work else where in the mean time and would like to get my SIN asap.. When I get my new permit with these conditions removed, will I need to go back to service canada to be issued a SIN again (will it change)?
You will not need to get a new SIN.