+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnant with visitor visa

Yourname

Star Member
Mar 17, 2014
newtone said:
Technically the mother has to pay because she dosen't have any coverage and the baby is coming out of her. So there is an expense for that. There is a reason they ask for mothers health card at the hospital and not the fathers
And hence the funds upto $10k or so.
Thanks guys!

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
There are couple option for a Visitor to Canada to have her pregnancy covered, at least partially.

1. A regular visitor to Canada, who is not yet pregnant, may apply for a Maternity Coverage that covers up to 80% of the cost for prenatal care, delivery, and nursing care for a maximum of $10,000 as well as physical and eye examination.

2. A regular visitor to Canada, who is already pregnant can purchase a Medical Emergency Insurance that will cover pregnancy related emergencies including abdominal pain, bleeding, miscarriage, etc. up to the 31st week of a pregnancy period. Delivery and physical examinations are not covered.

You may talk to an insurance broker representative to learn more if you CLICK HERE.

Last edited:

Yourname

Star Member
Mar 17, 2014
Steevy said:
There are couple option for a Visitor to Canada to have her pregnancy covered, at least partially.

1. A regular visitor to Canada, who is not yet pregnant, may apply for a Maternity Coverage that covers up to 80% of the cost for prenatal care, delivery, and nursing care for a maximum of $10,000 as well as physical and eye examination.

2. A regular visitor to Canada, who is already pregnant can purchase a Medical Emergency Insurance that will cover pregnancy related emergencies including abdominal pain, bleeding, miscarriage, etc. up to the 31st week of a pregnancy period. Delivery and physical examinations are not covered.

You may talk to an insurance broker representative to learn more if you <a href=http://arbetovinsurance.com>CLICK HERE</a>.
Hi Steevy,

This is swell!
Sadly though, the website doesn't direct me to check out option #2 easily.

civic14

Star Member
Oct 3, 2014
me and my wife came to canada from venezuela to visit.

she was pregnant 6 months and she was perfect in venezuela.

2 weeks later here in canada she start to have high blood pressure go to doctors and they told us not to come back to venezuela because the altitude of the plain is not good for the high blood pressure.

my baby girl born 32 week and 5 days. stay in nicu for 20 days and 5 days in pediatrics.

now I have a huge bill of almost 80k.

to have an idea:
peter lougheed hospital charge me:

4000 for the delivery of my wife. normal delivery
3500 each day for the baby NICU.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
civic14 said:
me and my wife came to canada from venezuela to visit.

she was pregnant 6 months and she was perfect in venezuela.

2 weeks later here in canada she start to have high blood pressure go to doctors and they told us not to come back to venezuela because the altitude of the plain is not good for the high blood pressure.

my baby girl born 32 week and 5 days. stay in nicu for 20 days and 5 days in pediatrics.

now I have a huge bill of almost 80k.

to have an idea:
peter lougheed hospital charge me:

4000 for the delivery of my wife. normal delivery
3500 each day for the baby NICU.
Yep, this is the kind of thing that can happen -- it's really too bad. An Australian couple had something even more dire occur in Vancouver, a child born with a condition that was very serious, and precluded traveling back to Australia. I believe they ended up owing more than a million dollars . . . Commonwealth countries with universal health insurance should develop some sort of reciprocal agreements, like the provinces have, but that wouldn't cover your case, unfortunately.

But I have a question -- since your baby was born, and is a Canadian citizen, wouldn't the NICU bill be covered by the province? When our child was born in Alberta, we received a health card for him within 5 days.

civic14

Star Member
Oct 3, 2014
on-hold said:
Yep, this is the kind of thing that can happen -- it's really too bad. An Australian couple had something even more dire occur in Vancouver, a child born with a condition that was very serious, and precluded traveling back to Australia. I believe they ended up owing more than a million dollars . . . Commonwealth countries with universal health insurance should develop some sort of reciprocal agreements, like the provinces have, but that wouldn't cover your case, unfortunately.

But I have a question -- since your baby was born, and is a Canadian citizen, wouldn't the NICU bill be covered by the province? When our child was born in Alberta, we received a health card for him within 5 days.
I don´t know why. I try to apply 2 times for the alberta health and they refused me because me and my wife are visitor here.

the first time i apply for me, my wife and baby.

then the second time I apply only for the baby like she is applying for the alberta health.

alberta health call me and send me a letter saying that because we are visitors here we cannot have alberta health.

can you tell me what status did you have when your child born here in alberta?

civic14

Star Member
Oct 3, 2014
My wife she is a italian citizen and if where in italy we don´t have to pay anything for health care.

we call to the italy embassy to see if they can help us with something since this can happen to anybody.

I ask them what happen if a canadian citizen traveling in italy have a heart attack?

no body travel with 80k or more in her pocket...

italy and canada have some aggrenment but not for health care.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
My wife and I are both permanent residents. I suspect that what happened is that neither you, your wife, nor your child were able to demonstrate an address in Alberta. Since your kid is a Canadian citizen, if they have an address and a government document, they will be able to get Alberta Health, but they would have had neither of these when they were born. I don't think an adult Canadian citizen in the same situation would have received free health care either.

That story really sucks -- I lived for many years without health care, but never had an incident.

alicia13

Oct 24, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
6-Aug-2014
AOR Received.
28-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
14-Oct-2014
Passport Req..
19-Nov-2014
LANDED..........
1-Dec-2014
Yourname said:
So if my girlfriend were pregnant in Canada (on visit visa), and I am an immigrant and I am the father of the baby - I have to pay out of pocket?
Hi there, what province are you in? In Ontario midwifery care is covered by the Ministery for both OHIP and non-OHIP mothers. That means if you can get a midwife your prenatal visits will be free of charge. If your girlfriend has an uncomplicated delivery there will not be any cost either, expect maybe one day hospital fee(some midwifery practices can negotiate an early discharge for her if the delivery is smooth and she can avoid paying that too but not all can!)
In my case, I delivered my son full-term in May here in Ontario, the total cost was $4,400. That included $2000 for one day stay in the hospital, $600 for an epidural, $120 for pitocin(induction agent) and around $1600 physician fee because it was a forceps-assisted birth.
Your child will have OHIP at birth so there won't be a charge for his/her stay and care.
All of these charges can be claimed the next time you file your taxes.

Let me know if you have any more questions! I would be more than happy to help according to the best of my knowledge.

civic14

Star Member
Oct 3, 2014
on-hold said:
My wife and I are both permanent residents. I suspect that what happened is that neither you, your wife, nor your child were able to demonstrate an address in Alberta. Since your kid is a Canadian citizen, if they have an address and a government document, they will be able to get Alberta Health, but they would have had neither of these when they were born. I don't think an adult Canadian citizen in the same situation would have received free health care either.

That story really sucks -- I lived for many years without health care, but never had an incident.
the first time i apply for the alberta health i send the insurance of the car and the rent agrenment (for the address) but they told me that is because we are here in visitor status... thats why i don´t have health.

but i don´t understand why the baby don´t have medical care because she is citizen of canada.

its weard...

for everybody thinking in came here to have their babys here think twice because anything can happens.

my wife was perfect in venezuela one day before travel we go to the doctor and everything was perfect.

we came here to buy stuff for the baby and now i have a 80k bill.

Yourname

Star Member
Mar 17, 2014
alicia13 said:
Hi there, what province are you in? In Ontario midwifery care is covered by the Ministery for both OHIP and non-OHIP mothers. That means if you can get a midwife your prenatal visits will be free of charge. If your girlfriend has an uncomplicated delivery there will not be any cost either, expect maybe one day hospital fee(some midwifery practices can negotiate an early discharge for her if the delivery is smooth and she can avoid paying that too but not all can!)
In my case, I delivered my son full-term in May here in Ontario, the total cost was $4,400. That included $2000 for one day stay in the hospital, $600 for an epidural, $120 for pitocin(induction agent) and around $1600 physician fee because it was a forceps-assisted birth.
Your child will have OHIP at birth so there won't be a charge for his/her stay and care.
All of these charges can be claimed the next time you file your taxes.

Let me know if you have any more questions! I would be more than happy to help according to the best of my knowledge.
I am super scared now (after reading civic14's message) but your message calmed my nerves by a millimetre. This is my first time and so I have no clue how this would go, if it's going to be smooth delivery or not.

We're in Ontario so there's some form of relief knowing at least midwifery is covered in non-OHIP situations (but does that include a visitor visa holder you think). I'm trying to find insurance that could cover her so God forbid if there is some complication, at least we can get admitted to a hospital. :(

alicia13

Oct 24, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
6-Aug-2014
AOR Received.
28-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
14-Oct-2014
Passport Req..
19-Nov-2014
LANDED..........
1-Dec-2014
Yourname said:
I am super scared now (after reading civic14's message) but your message calmed my nerves by a millimetre. This is my first time and so I have no clue how this would go, if it's going to be smooth delivery or not.

We're in Ontario so there's some form of relief knowing at least midwifery is covered in non-OHIP situations (but does that include a visitor visa holder you think). I'm trying to find insurance that could cover her so God forbid if there is some complication, at least we can get admitted to a hospital. :(
Don't worry! Everything will be ok
If your gf is pregnant already I would recommend looking for a midwife as soon as possible according to your postal code(they are very strict about jurisdiction), here is the link- https://www.aommembersonly.ca/find_a_midwife_iframe/Search.aspx

It is possible that she will be waitlisted as they book up very very quickly but they also free up quickly when some women have to be transferred to an OB for high-risk pregnancies etc.
There is a midwifery practice in Etobicoke that helps a lot of women who give birth as visitors, it's called Midwife Alliance. They also gave me the name of a clinic that has OBs that help people with no OHIP but I can't remember what it's called, sorry!
If you are a PR or Canadian then your child will have OHIP, usually what causes huge bills to accumulate is the time that non-OHIP babies spend in the ICU, that is very expensive if both parents don't have OHIP.

Send me a message if you have any further questions! I was in your shoes not too long ago and would have appreciated meeting someone who had been through it before me :)

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
alicia13 said:
Don't worry! Everything will be ok
If your gf is pregnant already I would recommend looking for a midwife as soon as possible according to your postal code(they are very strict about jurisdiction), here is the link- https://www.aommembersonly.ca/find_a_midwife_iframe/Search.aspx

It is possible that she will be waitlisted as they book up very very quickly but they also free up quickly when some women have to be transferred to an OB for high-risk pregnancies etc.
There is a midwifery practice in Etobicoke that helps a lot of women who give birth as visitors, it's called Midwife Alliance. They also gave me the name of a clinic that has OBs that help people with no OHIP but I can't remember what it's called, sorry!
If you are a PR or Canadian then your child will have OHIP, usually what causes huge bills to accumulate is the time that non-OHIP babies spend in the ICU, that is very expensive if both parents don't have OHIP.

Send me a message if you have any further questions! I was in your shoes not too long ago and would have appreciated meeting someone who had been through it before me :)
I don't understand why people make posts that say 'everything will be OK'. How do you know that? Why is it impossible that what happened to civic14 will happen in this situation as well? Insurance exists to take care of unexpected occurrences, and Yourname doesn't have any.

alicia13

Oct 24, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
6-Aug-2014
AOR Received.
28-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
14-Oct-2014
Passport Req..
19-Nov-2014
LANDED..........
1-Dec-2014
on-hold said:
I don't understand why people make posts that say 'everything will be OK'. How do you know that? Why is it impossible that what happened to civic14 will happen in this situation as well? Insurance exists to take care of unexpected occurrences, and Yourname doesn't have any.
It was not a "guarantee" that things will turn out perfectly, just an encouragement that most of time things work out one way or the other. I was faced with a hospital bill for the birth of my baby, it wasn't easy to come up with 5K with only my husband working but in the end things worked out. A bit of optimism with a dash of realism can make the world of a difference when faced with a tough situation. Being negative and expecting the absolute worse benefits no one. I don't understand why you took offense to something that wasn't even directed at you.